Ever get stuck between gears ?

Fargo360
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

#11 Unread post by Fargo360 »

Thanks. I just bored out the cylinders .75 over and have pickd up a second set of side covers and tank and am going to paint it a metallic green/blue with black and white checkerboarding across the bottom of the tank. Picked up some clip-ons and am making a rear seat cover that gives it that cafe racer look, without comprimising the comfort of the seat. I am having my cousin who does decals make me a new one for the side covers that looks just like the original only they say cbr360rr. Should look pretty good when i get it done (hopefully by spring)
1976 Honda CBR360R/T
1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

Fargo, ND supports global warming

Gurgus
Veteran
Veteran

#12 Unread post by Gurgus »

I just missed out on a 1975 500T with sidecar done in green paint all for $1700! Was going to have to give up my 450, but it would have been cool to be able to haul the kids around. Oh well, some day.
1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450sc

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#13 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Wow, that's too funny. This was my leading reason for not wanting another Suzuki when the time comes. But I'm reading through this thread and not only Suzuki's are suffering from this problem.

This was something I really liked about my Kawasaki - Ninja 250 pre-current model. The transmission was bullet proof. My shifting may not have been.

As an update... I'm not having this problem as much anymore.

2 - N - 1 (fail to get in to 1) or neutral at light and go to 1 on green (doesn't matter if you were in 1st or 2nd before being in neutral).

Happens less frequently; however, when it does happen I let out the clutch a little and a little throttle and it plops in to place.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#14 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Fargo360 wrote:My cb360 does that between 1st and 2nd. Seems like I always get stuck in neutral. Not fun when you're taking off from a stop, go to switch gears and all i get is "vrooooom!"
:laughing:

I can relate.

I've never had gears get stuck in between gears.....just the problem of getting it into first.
Or...sometimes I think it is in first, and then when the light turns green....the same as you wrote.... :oops: :roll:

Fargo360
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

#15 Unread post by Fargo360 »

I've never had the problem going down from 2 to 1, I've only had the problem going from 1 to 2, seems like half the time I take off, go to switch up and push the gear all the way up but it stick in neutral. Must be an old bike thing.
1976 Honda CBR360R/T
1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

Fargo, ND supports global warming

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#16 Unread post by shane-o »

Ive not so much encountered "getting stuck" in gears, as much as, finding false neutrals !!

I was on my way to work today, was on an "on ramp" to a freeway, so I was working through the gears, really getting stuck into it :) when on the shift between 5th and 6th BAM I find neutral. A wee bit scary as I was entering traffic at about 80mph (20mph faster than the cars) and all of a sudden I have no power as the revs are 10K + but no action :(

This happens to me more than getting stuck in gears, im not sure which is worse.

Anyone else have issues with "false neutrals" ??
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#17 Unread post by ceemes »

Damn near every bike I've owned has those mysterious fails neutrals, I usually find them when upshifting when coming out of a corner......can be a tad bit scary at times.
Always ask why.

RMD
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: Honda CB450 Nighthawk

Re: Ever get stuck between gears ?

#18 Unread post by RMD »

Hello, new here...and to riding. My daughters bought me a 1982 Honda CB450 Nighthawk. I put about 200 miles on it and love it, but I recently developed shifting issues. Upon recommendation I changed the oil, and it is better, but still issues. When I am shifting up or down, the shifter will occasionally "not go" into the next gear. I found that if I slowly release the clutch while keeping some pressure on the shifter, it will pop into gear. Not all gears and not all of the time. I haven't vbeen riding because I don't know what is going on. it didn't do it when I first got it. By the way, the oil I drained was black and thin, but the guy I bought it from (a pastor) said he changed the oil every spring. Well, it did get better when I changed the oil. Before I did, I fought to change between 1st and neutral. Now that's not a problem. Any ideas/suggestions? All the best!!!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: Ever get stuck between gears ?

#19 Unread post by blues2cruise »

RMD wrote:Hello, new here...and to riding. My daughters bought me a 1982 Honda CB450 Nighthawk. I put about 200 miles on it and love it, but I recently developed shifting issues. Upon recommendation I changed the oil, and it is better, but still issues. When I am shifting up or down, the shifter will occasionally "not go" into the next gear. I found that if I slowly release the clutch while keeping some pressure on the shifter, it will pop into gear. Not all gears and not all of the time. I haven't vbeen riding because I don't know what is going on. it didn't do it when I first got it. By the way, the oil I drained was black and thin, but the guy I bought it from (a pastor) said he changed the oil every spring. Well, it did get better when I changed the oil. Before I did, I fought to change between 1st and neutral. Now that's not a problem. Any ideas/suggestions? All the best!!!
I suggest you ask your question in the troubleshooting thread. :)