Harley Davidson and MMI training

vieteka
Rookie
Rookie

Harley Davidson and MMI training

#1 Unread post by vieteka »

Is the only training accepted by Harley-Davidson for their mechanics at MMI? My son has decided that he would like to be a motorcylce mechanic, even though he has never shown any interest before in mechanics. First are there tests that can help him determine if he has a mechanical aptitude? Secondly, we were advised that Manufacturers like Harley-Davidson will not hire from other tech schools-only MMI. Is that correct? Will a local school be worthless? How much can he expect to make in this type of job?
Last edited by vieteka on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

Re: Harley Davidson and MMI training

#2 Unread post by paul246 »

I don't know anything about MMI specifically, but here is a link that might offer some insight to the trade itself. The page that will come up has links to the rest of the site, there is a ton of information there. However, do note the last couple of lines of the first page (running your own shop).

http://www.dansmc.com/yourshop.htm
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#3 Unread post by fireguzzi »

I learned from a local school and Harley did kinda turn its nose up at me. They didn't come right out and say that they don't hire from other schools but it was the impression I got. Thats just my experience though. Your results may vary.
Does he absolutely have to work at a Harley dealer? There are lots of other great manufacturers out there to work for. Victory/Polaris, Honda,Yamaha,Suzuki, Triumph etc. A Polaris dealership hired me with no problems about what school I went to.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

I think I'm pretty qualified to answer this one.
Yes MMI is the only one to offer Harley-accredited training. They do hire from other schools but not as often.
There really aren't any tests that I know of that can judge mechanical aptitude. Personally I didn't wrench much at all either (did my own oil change for the first time 8 months before leaving for MMI.) Granted I knew how to turn a wrench, what sockets were for and what they did, the whole 9 yards, but I had never wrenched except for rejetting my own carb (and the only way I figured that out was having a friend help me).
As for pay, I can easily say he can't be expecting to get rich off of this job. I'm sure Fireguzzi and Buzzz will both agree with me on that. You can make a living, just expect to work your butt off and in some cases sacrifice your body to make ends meet.
A local school will not be worthless. MMI has certifications that it offers for Harley, BMW, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. Ducati and I think either Triumph or Aprilia are done at Wyotech.
Before he decides anything, there are a few things he needs to look into before he decides he wants into this field.
Does he enjoy riding? Enough where he can and will do it in cold temperatures and adverse weather conditions?
Does he actually know how to turn a wrench? Does he have to repeat "Lefty Loosey Righty Tightey" before he starts working on something?
Can he handle hanging around with a rougher crowd or a crowd that doesn't so much care about being polite? (True of any mechanical crowd, including metric)
Does he currently get along with or have friends that are mechanics?
The social dynamic is quite different compared to what I was used to when I got into it and wasn't prepared for that. I change quickly, but it definitely took an adjustment period.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#5 Unread post by Gummiente »

Wrider wrote:I'm sure Fireguzzi and Buzzz will both agree with me on that. You can make a living, just expect to work your butt off and in some cases sacrifice your body to make ends meet.
When did Buzz trade his Millwright ticket in for a bike mechanic licence? :?
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#6 Unread post by BuzZz »

Good question. I've done piecework for a local dealer setting up bikes and quads for sale, but never worked at a dealership.

I do my mechanizing on big oil/gas field engines and large mobile equipment. Because working at a bike shop don't pay enough. :mrgreen:

All my bike repair experience comes from my own bikes, my friends bikes, and everybody in the neighborhood who realizes I'll work on their stuff for nothing.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

Ohhh oops. Thought he had worked at a dealership haha. But he still agreed with me it's not enough to get rich! lol
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#8 Unread post by Gummiente »

BuzZz wrote:Good question. I've done piecework for a local dealer setting up bikes and quads for sale, but never worked at a dealership.

I do my mechanizing on big oil/gas field engines and large mobile equipment. Because working at a bike shop don't pay enough. :mrgreen:

All my bike repair experience comes from my own bikes, my friends bikes, and everybody in the neighborhood who realizes I'll work on their stuff for nothing.
We lead parallel lives, my friend, except for that I recently shelved my Millwright ticket to go marauding about the countryside in a big jeezus truck.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#9 Unread post by BuzZz »

I think you might have the right idea, Gummi. The Millwright game isn't what it used to be anymore....
No Witnesses.... :shifty: