What are your thoughts on rider education? (MSF or beyond)

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: What are your thoughts on rider education? (MSF or beyon

#11 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

It's debatable if this is appropriate to a BRC-type course, but I would've appreciated some sort of module on dealing with a sudden loss of traction. Since the class is in a completely controlled environment, it would've been nice to be taught how to deal with, say, a slight slip due to an oil spill, sand, whatever. It's an important skill that you can't practise on your own outside the class, unlike, say, U-turns, swerves, or braking.

PS, to clarify, I didn't take a US MSF BRC. I took a Japanese equivalent, which generally has the same content, with a few small differences.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#12 Unread post by flw »

In my state of Illinois in the U.S. in the BRC, they do have your ride over lumbar/wood as a obsticle . This is not total traction loss but I do understand your point.

My opinion is that truely new riders need to practice keeping the rubber down and some have a difficult time with it but real traction loss maybe a more intermediate level skill. That said its not addressed there or in the ERC either here. I would like to practice in a controlled environment the traction loss spoken of but insurance issues may make that impossible.

So I agree that it should be covered somewhere but is not at this time to the best of my knowledge.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#13 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

True. Come to think of it, on a regular ride, you're more likely to need to ride over an obstacle than deal with a loss of traction. Both are skills that you need even as a new rider, and both are too dangerous to practise on your own, without any professional supervision. And you're right, chances are, the risks of a lawsuit are too high, and the skills needed are too complex, for this to put in a beginner's course. It might take a whole day to teach that module alone :lol:

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#14 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Grey

For traction management google cornerspin. You'll love it. "if you're not falling, you're not learning"
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

hartley1
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: harley davidson

#15 Unread post by hartley1 »

this has been great and good thing that you helping to them who really want to learn riding, here is some info that might help you, as ordinary people, the things we use may define what type of personality we have. If we like simple and plain stuff, we can be have the image of being an shy and passive because we would not dare to stand out in the crowd – it somehow shows that you like to seen as simple like everyone else.
But if you are the type who delights on novelty and up to date stuff, you can be perceived as fashionable and daring. However, people’s perception of you might not always be who you really are.
In motorcycling, somehow, motorcycle accessories that bikers use also define what kind of rider they can be in the perception of people who see on your rides and trips. You choice of motorcycle apparel and accessories – like your jackets, chaps, shoes, gloves, glasses, bags and wireless devices - can have something to do with your preferences and naturally your personality. So in choosing your apparel and accessories, it is always nice to be wise – bearing in mind not only style and fashion but first and foremost your safety and protection.motorcycles are just your vehicle to take you wherever you want to go and how fast or slow you want to get there. If the motorcycle parts all fit and work together, then you can be sure of a sound and safe trip. However, how you look when you ride and how you want those who see you in your motorcycle perceive you as a person is your own personal choice. There is always a better way to make yourself look nice and admirable with you motorcycles. It is just a matter of knowing the right accessory for the right place and time. For sure, there won’t be a doubt that you can become a winner in your own right, though you are not competing, when your get up defines perfectly just the way you want.

Edit by Johnj: No links in posts unless ok'd by the admin

cameron456
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: harley davidson

#16 Unread post by cameron456 »

I am really inspired by you... good to know you mate :)

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#17 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

storysunfolding wrote:Grey

For traction management google cornerspin. You'll love it. "if you're not falling, you're not learning"
Yep I did, sounds like awesome fun! I really should get around to getting a dirtbike or small cc dual sport. Need to learn how to enjoy some slippin' and slidin'.

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#18 Unread post by havegunjoe »

My wife and I took the MSF course together and I guess overall we enjoyed it. I think she may have had a better experience had it been a women only class perhaps. I have no desire to take any kind of a racing class, it just doesn’t appeal to me. We have talked about taking the next step in classes but time is precious in the summer months. Good instructors are everything IMHO. I don’t care how much you know if you can’t teach it in a manner that is non-threatening to the novice student the class is worthless.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#19 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Havegunjoe-

There are a plethora of non-race classes. the MSF Basic Rider Course 2 (formerly the ERC) on your own bike, Lee Parks Total Control, the MSF Bike Bonding Class (Police Style low speed manuevers) etc.

I think your wife was better off not being in a ladies only class. In my experience the people that these cater too care more about their perceived image than they do about learning to ride. From what I've gathered from friends around the country is that they have abnormally high failure rates.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#20 Unread post by RockBottom »

I've taken the BRC and the ERC three times. I know I need to move on to something like the Lee Parks course, but the BRC/ERC is free in my state.

I guess my only frustration with the ERC was that there seems to be significant variation among coaches. Last summer, I took it for the second time and to my shock, failed (I had over 40K miles under my belt at that point). I took it three weeks later in the rain with different coaches and got a perfect score.

I would also add that in addition to periodic formal training, I'm a big advocate of regular practice, even for experienced riders. At a minimum, I find a deserted road and practice panic stops and swerves every week.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do