capena91
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 09' FZ6R

Buying gear today

#1 Unread post by capena91 »

Hey Guys :D . I just bought my bike yesterday and I have to go pick it up later in the afternoon. Before I go pick it up I would love to buy my gear. I been saving my money from all my part time jobs since last summer so I am ready to get something with good safety in mind. But I really don't know what brands are good, and don't know what jacket, boots, gloves too look at lol. I appreciate the help guys.

Carlos

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Re: Buying gear today

#2 Unread post by Brackstone »

The best tip you'll ever get about helmets. Wear whatever helmet you like for at least 20-30 minutes. It takes a long time before a helmet starts to feel uncomfortable. When/if it does it gets painful pretty quick.

Also Be honest with yourself, if you have an odd or large shaped head look at Arai's helmets. I've purchased so many helmets and one of them really fit me well. My next helmet will be an Arai.

Check out this link below for not only good info about Arai helmets but gooo info about fitting helmets period!

http://www.araiamericas.com/support/Ara ... _sheet.pdf
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

capena91
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: 09' FZ6R

#3 Unread post by capena91 »

Thanks a lot brackstone. I really fell in love with this sport but really do value my safety and it all starts with the helmet lol. Ill looking in to those and scorpion. Can you recommend any brands for the jackets boots and gloves :)

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#4 Unread post by mogster »

In all other aspects of life I avoid branded labels. However, I do main an exception for motorcycle gear. This is because I feel with a brand comes a "fit for purpose" certainty.

What you buy depends on what type of riding ie urban or long haul + weather.

Personally I have found Joe Rocket good for trousers.
I do have a gortex Triumph jacket but prefer my trusty leather!

Boots wise my Daytona's are after 5yrs still watreproof & the most comfortable shoes/boots I own.

Gloves are more personal fit - but try & get the best quality you can afford with some finger armour.

Good luck & enjoy!
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

I have a general preference for Olympia gloves, I have several pairs in different weights, winter, summer, etc. They seem to be well made and offer good protection for the money. Not cheap but not over-the-top expensive either.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#6 Unread post by Brackstone »

Olympia gloves were my first gloves and they served me well.
I owned a pair of Icon Gloves after that but I feel they broke down too quickly.

Oh another important thing if you buy a jacket with a liner NEVER LOSE THE LINER!!!
I've just learned the hard way that you cannot buy replacement liners. They (all companies) manufacture them on a 1:1 basis.

JVRR
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

#7 Unread post by JVRR »

One of the most important factors is comfort. A $20 pair of mittens on your hands will provide better protection than $100 race gloves you never wear.

You do not have to spend big bucks to protect yourself. Yes, if you can only get a good fit with Arai, go for it, but don't let anyone try to tell you a $400 helmet provides four times the protection of a $100 helmet. Take the liner out, both helmets are just fancy bicycle helmets on the inside.

What you really want to do is provide as much material between you and the pavement as possible. You can minimize the amount by maximizing some other properties, hence leather. I have a Speed and Strength jacket that ran me $200, a pair of Shift Kicker boots for $100, and Cortech F1 gloves for about $60, as well as a basic GM68 helmet. Hardly cheap, but as far as motorcycle gear goes- very cheap. All of it got me through a crash, and I trust all of it highly, and most importantly I wear it because it is comfortable.

I do want to find a good pair of pants, but in my wreck to be honest I did all my sliding on my "O Ring" (boots are still fine but definitely beat up) and my jeans with long johns did just fine. I want to invest in some overpants or at least kevlar jeans in the near future.
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

FYI: Take a look at our Total Motorcycle shopping guide online: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/shoponline.htm you might find some really good deals there (I screen all the stores) and if you do and buy from it, it will also support the Total Motorcycle community as a small $ goes to the site.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#9 Unread post by Brackstone »

JVRR wrote: You do not have to spend big bucks to protect yourself. Yes, if you can only get a good fit with Arai, go for it, but don't let anyone try to tell you a $400 helmet provides four times the protection of a $100 helmet. Take the liner out, both helmets are just fancy bicycle helmets on the inside.

What you really want to do is provide as much material between you and the pavement as possible.
I agree that $400 does not always equal better protection because that's been proven. More money does not always equal better.

I don't want to get into a lengthy debate about this since it defeats the purpose of the thread but just putting material between yourself and the pavement is not going to help. I could strap cinder blocks to my head that would put much greater distance between my head and the pavement but would provide a lot less protection.

Hell I could make myself a Giant Leather Motorcycle helmet with 8 inches of leather one every side and that would still provide less protection.

Motorcycle helmets have multiple impact layers that absorb shock and spread force out. Some of the more expensive helmets (not all) provide much more protection than cheap ones that have less protective layers.

Buy what you think is the most comfortable I agree. But if you have extra money to spend anywhere I'd advise spending it on the helmet instead of something else because your head is the most important part of your body.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#10 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I'd also recommend supporting a local brick and mortar store if it's convenient, instead of shopping online. Partially to help keep people in business, but more importantly, to get the fit right. It's obviously important with helmets, but a lot of motorcycle clothing also has to fit pretty closely so the armor stays in place, to avoid stuff flapping around, and for better overall comfort. It's just quicker to try out different sizes and different brands in a real store.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."