Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: New Bike

#11 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

jaskc78 wrote:The tech also mentioned that it's running a little rough and sounds like it needs a valve service, so hopefully my Clymer arrives soon so I can start practicing that 6k valve adjustment.
An '04 bike that's run less than 6k? That's pretty amazing.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#12 Unread post by sapaul »

I am glad the wiring turned out as it has, not too bad. You will not regret buying this bike although it sounds like the previous did not keep to the service schedules. I had the 2002 model and it never missed a beat and was a really really good bike to do long trips on. Hardly any wind gets to you and the bike can outperform most riders. The boxer motor is strong and responsive but does need those services as they are only every 10 000 kms
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#13 Unread post by HYPERR »

jaskc78 wrote:The tech also mentioned that it's running a little rough and sounds like it needs a valve service, so hopefully my Clymer arrives soon so I can start practicing that 6k valve adjustment. Will let you all know how it goes with racking up the miles.
The good news is, the valve adjustment is very easy to do on this bike. :)

It probably could also use a throttlebody sync if it is running a little rough. I have a twinmax and it makes this job a breeze.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#14 Unread post by jaskc78 »

HYPERR wrote:
jaskc78 wrote:The tech also mentioned that it's running a little rough and sounds like it needs a valve service, so hopefully my Clymer arrives soon so I can start practicing that 6k valve adjustment. Will let you all know how it goes with racking up the miles.
The good news is, the valve adjustment is very easy to do on this bike. :)

It probably could also use a throttlebody sync if it is running a little rough. I have a twinmax and it makes this job a breeze.
Yeah, I remember you mentioning that the valves are a cake walk on this bike when I was considering the R1200R and asked your advice on periodic maintenance. I'll probably be hitting you up for some tips when my Clymer arrives, I'm going to go over it before our ride to Vegas the weekend of the 22d.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.