mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

Tip Top Tips

#1 Unread post by mogster »

I have been going to a few rallies & riding on wet grass, which is a new experience for me.

Another rider told me NEVER ride on a slippery surface with feet down..........because if the bike goes over you won't be able to stop it but would injure your foot/leg in the tumble.

Anyone else got any tip top tips? :?
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

JackoftheGreen
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: Tip Top Tips

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Try to be in a gear that places you about midway through your power band when entering moderate or challenging curves. Having the power readily available will allow you 'power out' if your lean goes tippy, but not being at the top of your power band makes it less likely you'll spin all the grip out of your tire while accelerating through the apex.

Buy a hand-pump siphon from your favorite tool shop and include it in your gear for longer trips. Running out of gas sucks, but having a dedicated tool for siphoning gas from a helpful stranger will make it suck less.

And, washing and detailing your bike with some regularity will help you spot fluid leaks or other impending mechanical failures before they become an emergency.

earwig
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by earwig »

If you have a bag, invest in some rain gear...

a_hippie
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 1985 1100 Shadow

#4 Unread post by a_hippie »

Learn the maximum quantity of fuel your tank will hold. Then learn the MINIMUM distance you can drive per gallon/liter of fuel. Multiply the amount of fuel by the minimum distance and determine that the result is your maximum range your bike can go EVER! :)

Otherwise, bring more petrol :)

Regards,
Wishing you my best

1985 Honda Shadow VT-1100

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

When you are riding over gravelly or bumpy places, keep your elbows loose.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Bring a wide olive jar cover whenever you tour (a junction box cover works too). Put it under your sidestand if you park on something that isn't completely solid (even if that soil seems pretty dry, it could always rain). On a related note, never put up a tent right beside your bike.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#7 Unread post by sapaul »

If you are camping, put a space blanket beneath your sleeping bag.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Learn how to do basic maintenance (oil change, spark plugs, battery charging/replacing, chain tightening, cable lubing, etc) on your motorcycle, it not only saves you some money but gets you much more familiar with your bike and helps you detect if anything needs attention in the near future.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#9 Unread post by ceemes »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Learn how to do basic maintenance (oil change, spark plugs, battery charging/replacing, chain tightening, cable lubing, etc) on your motorcycle, it not only saves you some money but gets you much more familiar with your bike and helps you detect if anything needs attention in the near future.
If you have a place to do it that is.......last time I tried to do an oil change on the old Sabre, my apartment management read me the riot act. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#10 Unread post by ceemes »

Listen to your inner voice, if it is shouting at you that something isn't right, don't ride or go. The one time I failed to listen to that inner voice, I got t-boned off my CB650. Up to then, I listened to it and can't count how many times it was correct. There are times when you just know or feel that you shouldn't ride, listen to that voice, it can save you a world of pain.

A few months back I was getting ready to ride to work and halfway doing up my riding gear, my inner voice was saying no. Took off the gear and drove to work even tho it was clear and dry. On the way home, it rained and the road were slick. Even with AB's and four wheel drive, it was dodgy. Then I got to watch a cage flip onto its roof at the tunnel. Had I been on the bike, I think I would of end up back in the hospital nursing broken bones.
Always ask why.