Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

How many crashes in how many years?

#1 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I'm just curious about the experiences of people on the forums.

Just for some vague rules, please specify if the crash/es were on dirt.

Anyway, I've been riding for seven years and crashed once in late 2010. Freeway, maybe 80-90kph, slipped on a wet metal bridge expansion joint, no injuries - fortunately. How about you?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: How many crashes in how many years?

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

One crash in 31 years (so far, knock on wood), it happened over in Germany on pavement at night. Had a car turn right unexpectedly as I was overtaking it and got knocked off the bike into a hedge. Was only in my second year of riding then and had I known then what I know now, it never would have happened.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#3 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

A couple years back I wrecked a honda civic with my XB12ss, in the end it was my fault. The Civic hit the car in front of him no brake lights nothing and I couldn't react in time and BLAMO I hit it from behind, hard enough to rip the trunk off, I hit the roof so hard I blew out all the windows and just crumpled it up. I was geared up and sittin with the Angels on that one, no injuries THANK GOD.But thats the only good one I had a couple tip overs and forget to put the footdowners in the younger wilder days. Thank GOD I have been pretty lucky so far.
Last edited by BRUMBEAR on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
there aint nothin like it

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#4 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

None so far on pavement in 34 years (though I'm not up to 6 figure motorcycle mileage).

Fallen over at a dead stop in the dirt a time or two and arced off a sandy trail near Moab because an XL185 isn't much good in sand.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Crashed twice now. Once on a mountain pass and tore up my knee pretty bad. Once I lost the front end in some sand turning into my neighborhood at about 10 MPH. Been riding about 7 years now.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#6 Unread post by dirt dobber »

once, making a left u-turn going up a hill with a side road on my new HD Sportster i guess i hit front brake? inexperience on that. i fell off, stayed on hands & feet But i was brused from right hip alway down to spranged ankle. i had on wal-mart boots, if i'da had my motorcycle boots on i don't believe it would have spranged it. bike laid down as flat as a pan cake. engine guard saved gear shifter. broke bottom braket left side of windshield. some gas run out around filler cap. scary
i took that top box off (weighed 19lb.) was put on day before. a guy in a suv saw me help stand bike up, rode it home didn't ride for 5 day. 1500$ xrays & doc. just bruised.
started ride at 72, 77 now. 2 scooters, 250, 500 then Sportster.

fzrbiker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1992/yamaha/fzr

#7 Unread post by fzrbiker »

3 crash in 10 years of riding. Third crash was the worst, high side and head first, knock out for about 2 min broke my shoulder.

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#8 Unread post by gsJack »

I was turning around in a wide driveway on my CB400T first bike the first month I was riding and touched the front brake and bike went down, I'd call that a learning experience not a crash. lol About 15 -20 years ago I hit the throttle on my powerful CM400A Hondamatic in a turn and low sided in the gravel that was there and had a very sore hip for a few days, nothing broken.

About 10 years ago was what I'd call my first and only accident when I was clipped in the rear by a kid in a pickup while turning off a highway onto a side road. I high sided across the road landing my 230# on my left shoulder and have a broken clavical that has never healed as a reminder. I was 70 yo then and figure that if I had already gone 20 years and about 300k miles by then my odds were good for another 20 and was riding again in 2 weeks.

I've ridden 29 years and 400k miles so far.................

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Approximately 480,000 safe street miles. Over 164,000 on the V-strom. Just put 1,000 on over the weekend.

Crashed twice on the track, the first one just a big slide. On the second I got clipped by another bike and slammed back into my bike. Just bruises but they hurt like crazy for weeks.

In the dirt and riding trials... I can't even put a number to it!
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

One crash in 9 years. Car suddenly backed out of a driveway at quick pace to back across three lanes going the wrong way. He backed out right in front of me causing bent handlebars, gear damage, and other assorted damage.

I lost a year and half from work and ended up having to change jobs.