gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

Re: Hard to find bike?

#31 Unread post by gsJack »

That one I like, the PC800 is close to 650# wet weight if that's not too heavy it looks like what your looking for. A motorcycle with a built in scoot size trunk. A quick Google shows a lot of them for sale:

http://motorcycles.smartcarguide.com/ho ... ific-coast

http://motorcycle.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mas ... ic%20coast

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#32 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

maybe this will help you BTW the versy's maybe afine choice!! Ugly I think not :cowboy:
http://cycle-ergo.com/
there aint nothin like it

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#33 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Jarlaxle wrote:Hmm...what about a Honda PC800 Pacific Coast?

Or are they pure unobtanium?
You mean one of these?

If so, as far I as remember, they didn't sell well in their day, unaffectionately known as the "Plastic Maggot" as they were, how did you put it..."Pontiac Aztec" ugly. In fact, they have been voted many times over the years as the ugliest bike (sadly but true).

But if you like the design, you might be able to find one, I've only seen a handful for sale when I've been looking for used bikes over the decades.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#34 Unread post by jstark47 »

I was also thinking PC800, but hesitated to recommend that, as they are now old. The newest PC800 you can get is now 16 years old. From what I've heard, replacement plastics are getting scarce. The PC800 might not meet the "Not needing weird maintainence/service/parts would be nice" requirement, since dealerships are sometimes reluctant to work on a bike that old, even if it's a brand they sell.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

#35 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

Liz called the local Honda MC shop...the service manager said he'd be happy to service a Pacific Coast. (In fact, he owned one!) There is also a local shop that, judging by what I see there, services all sorts of vintage bikes...and the online PC community seems large, knowledgeable, and very dedicated.

One thing we both like (and the Honda service manager agreed wholeheartedly with) is that a PC is bulletproof even by Honda motorcycle standards. Honda seems to have deliberately designed them to need minimal service--they have hydraulic cam chain tensioners and even lash adjusters.

She looked at one last Friday. While it was an excuse for a nice ride (it was in central Maine, approximately halfway between No and Where) and a decent-looking bike, the guy wanted way too much for it.

NORTY
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: Harley & Trumpet

#36 Unread post by NORTY »

Jarlaxle wrote:My wife likes her Hyo Comet...but wants a fairing for longer rides. Bearing that in mind, just about everything else is wide open. I've been of little help, since I know scooters better than motorcycles.

Her requirements:
Not an enormous, heavy bike. (No Goldwings!)
Not a sportbike.
Full fairing with good wind protection.
Medium-sized (400-800cc) engine of any configuration...liquid cooling and EFI nice but not required.
ABS would also be nice, but not required.
No Euro bikes. (No nearby service places we trust.)
At least some storage.
Not costing a fortune.
Not needing weird maintainence/service/parts would be nice. (No needing to ship stuff from East Jabib for a brake job or pulling the engine to adjust the valves, please! Note this rules out a BMW C650GT scoot.)

Must accommodate a 5'8" rider with long legs comfortably. Highway pegs would be nice. (When I say long legs, I mean it--she can flat-foot a Goldwing or a BMW 1150GS.)
What does she want?
MSF RiderCoach

jhonjony
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: honda

#37 Unread post by jhonjony »

Nice post , Thanks for sharing with us..:)