A question for the gentlemen (semi-graphic euphemisms in play)

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

A question for the gentlemen (semi-graphic euphemisms in play)

#1 Unread post by Amdonim »

Hey guys, I've got kind of an oddball question. Since I've switched to ST bikes, I've encountered a new problem I didn't have riding cruisers. I find that my, ahem, "Gentlemen's Billiards" getting pinched a lot, or otherwise getting stuck in uncomfortable positions when I ride my C10 Concours. It doesn't happen right away, but the longer I ride (particularly when it's hot and I sweat), the more uncomfortable I get. After about 100 mile or so, it's sheer misery and I found myself fidgeting in my seat constantly. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so what did you do about it? It's driving me bonkers and I'm very near selling it and going back to a cruiser. Thanks in advance, and I apologize if I grossed anyone out, but I don't really have anyone else to ask.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: A question for the gentlemen (semi-graphic euphemisms in play)

#2 Unread post by Hanson »

I enjoy a longish ride from time to time.

What I can say is there are a lot of people who are successfully riding ST bikes in the Iron Butt Association, especially those who are riding in rallies. The Concours is not at the top of the popularity list, but it is not at the bottom either. The most common ST bikes are various BMW K bikes and R bikes, and the Yamaha FJR, but at the higher competitive levels, there are almost zero riders on cruisers.

If you go to Motorcycle Ergonomics, http://cycle-ergo.com/, you can compare your seating position on a wide range of motorcycles and it looks like the Concours is a bit more cramped then an FJR and many of the other ST options with a forward lean angle of about 16 degrees for my body. I have a forward lean angle of 0 degrees on my bike.

How then to solve this issue?

Everyone is different, both in overall body dimensions and ... well in the man parts. Those who are truly blessed with billiard balls instead of golf balls, or tiny marbles, are going to have more issues. I think this a problem that most men would be happy to work around.

You should look at is your seating position and this can be addressed somewhat with after market mods like bar risers, but only to a certain extent. I think this is more of a fine tuning option for a bike that already has agreeable ergonomics for your body.

The next item on the list is the seat itself. A lot of LD riders have their butts on custom seats. The big name is Russell Day Long, https://www.day-long.com/, but there are other costume builders and I am riding on a Kontour seat, http://kontourseat.com/.

The final element is clothing... cough... the under pants. I am riding in a wicking pair of Klim shorts that have made a big difference in the comfort of my man parts, but the big name in LD under-garments is LDComfort, http://ldcomfort.com/. I have a winter helmet liner from LDComfort that is fantastic and my next clothing purchase is going to be some men's riding tights. The materials are important as is the design and attention to details, especially the seams.

It can take some significant effort to sort out a comfort issue.

1: I would try some good under-garments from LDComfort. This is not that expensive and you will use them even if this does not solve your problem.
2: Next, I would try to evaluate if the Concours seating position is ever going to work. You could try renting a different ST bike with less forward lean angle. A lot of people have back problems with the feet forward riding positions of cruiser stile bikes when riding LD and you don't want to just exchange one problem for another. This will be a hard decision, but better to do it before you start investing in expensive mods to the bike.
3: Look at after market bar risers.
4: Look at a custom seat. Expensive, but almost no one regrets a RDL purchase.
5: For the truly dedicated LD motorcycle rider, there is always surgical castration. If you decide to take this drastic option, I am not recommending this, I would try to negotiate a two for one deal and get a larger bladder installed at the same time.

Please try to remember that free advice is not even worth two cents.

Also, I am not a medical doctor, not even on TV, and I am not giving medical advice.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: A question for the gentlemen (semi-graphic euphemisms in play)

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Wear looser pants, adjust your equipment before you ride.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.