1981 Yamaha maxim 650 shut down while riding, won't restart, help!!!

Jlogue1076
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha xj650 maxim

1981 Yamaha maxim 650 shut down while riding, won't restart, help!!!

#1 Unread post by Jlogue1076 »

Hi everyone, just joined as I noticed from my searches that forums seem to have the best info around. I am typically a do it yourselfer, but alas, I can't do everything:) I recently picked up this bike, been sitting for a year, fixed a stuck front brake caliper, changed the oil and plugs, fresh gas... Put a hundred miles on it no problems until today. I was sitting at a light, started to pull out and the bike hesitated then throttled no problem. I continued for another 6 miles or so and just as I pulled onto my street it shut off. I got it started and pulled it in the driveway and it shut off again.
I now can't even get the ignition button to do anything. I tried to coast it and pop it into gear. It started to kick over but didn't successfully. So I had to suck it up and push the darn thing with pride a little tattered. Occasionally I can get the button to try to turn over, but few and far between. It left me sit at the store yesterday, had to get picked up, went back with new plugs and started no problem, now this. Anyone out there know what the issue might be?
Thanks in advance for your help!!

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: 1981 Yamaha maxim 650 shut down while riding, won't restart, help!!!

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello Jeremy and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have an electrical gremlin. Check all the connections real good. Look for a main wire going open.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Jlogue1076
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha xj650 maxim

#3 Unread post by Jlogue1076 »

Thanks John!
I tried to start the bike prior to looking at anything again. Nothing. So I hooked up a volt meter to the battery and that checked out, so then I just tugged a little on the cable from the switch to the headlight housing and there she was. I had a short. Took the headlight out and checked each wire until I found the culprit. Though I do plan on retiring everything on her, some electrical tape will let me and her go out for more dates til then. Soooooo glad it was something simple! Wish every problem was that easy to fix:) thanks for your help, and hopefully it's a long while til any other issues arise...
Safe riding!!

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

Make sure those battery terminals are tight too, don't ask me how I know... LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"