Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic Silverado

Risers

#1 Unread post by Yammy1100 »

Hi All.
I have been riding my Vstar 1100 for a few years now. I am used to it and can handle it no problem but it is not an ideal fit because the handlebars force me to lean too far forward. I want to get handlebar risers but am unsure if they will raise my arms too high. I like where my arms are now, just not the reach and uncomfortable posture. I would like to know if getting the 4 inch kickback risers, or the risers that just leave it at stock height but give a 2 inch kickback would be best for me. I am leery about spending the money and installing the wrong kind of risers for fear of uninstall and return shipping costs. Does anyone have any insight or experience with both of these types of risers? Thank you in advance for any feedback.
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... qs52dg.jpg
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... 0CSMNg.jpg

Meanie
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

Re: Risers

#2 Unread post by Meanie »

You can still adjust the handlebars to your desired height after installing new risers. If the current stock bars don't work when installing longer risers, consider after market bars for the perfect fit. Though, when installing longer risers, take into consideration you may need longer cables and/or hoses. I cannot confirm what's needed for the V-Star, but you'll have to measure and determine how much slack/play you currently have.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Yammy1100
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Yammy1100 »

Hi,
Thank you for the answer Legendary 300. I have decided to go with 3.5 inch risers, with a 1.5 inch kickback. Will post again to let all know how fitment was regarding cables. And whether or not 3.5 is a good fit for me. I am a 5'5" female riding VStar 1100. If this improves my reach I hope by posting end results I can help someone else with this issue.
I also installed a gel pad in my stock seat. So far I am not able to determine how comfortable it will be until I can actually sit all the way back in my seat. If any one is interested in doing this, it was super easy. I went to local medical supply store and bought a wheelchair replacement seat with gel insert. I used existing seat cover and foam on my bike. Remove staples and cover. Outline gel pad on foam with marker. Draw a grid pattern on foam, Use SHARP box cutter adjusted to thickness of gel, cut every line. Took out one cube at a time, then sanded with 120 grit sandpaper. Spray adhesive. Insert gel pad. Re cover with new plastic. Put studded seat cover back on. Stapled. Done! (*Note* the cutout of gel pad was a little larger than pad because I cut along the outside of my marker line, when cutting make sure to cut inside your marker outline, I had to cut piece of foam to accommodate extra 1/2 inch of space)
The wheelchair seat replacement also came with super thick piece of memory foam that can be used on another bike or any chair you might want to make more comfy.

Meanie
Legendary
Legendary

#4 Unread post by Meanie »

I love it! A real hands on gal.

From my years of riding I have found the perfect seat to be a pillow seat, then the gel. Though, others confirm a gel then pillow. To each his/her own rear.

One thing I did before installing risers was after choosing which set I wanted, I made a cutout using thin luan wood, but cardboard would suffice as well, to the shape and dimensions of the risers, then placed them on the bike to determine where the bars would sit. Then I measured that distance to the current position to determine how far back the bars would sit as well as how much more cable and/or hose length will be needed. You can sit on the bike using the difference in measurement and imagine where your hands will be. It saves having to purchase risers, install them, remove them and return them if they don't work for you. Just a thought.

You may also eliminate the need to purchase new cables and/or hoses by re-positioning them at the rear of the triple tree (between tree and tank) instead of in front of the tree, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is the position they are in on the V-Star.

Please do let me know how it all works out for you.

Good luck
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Yammy1100
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Yammy1100 »

Hi All,
The risers are perfect! I have to get a 2 inch extension for the clutch cable so it can be tucked in nicely again, it is sticking up above the bars a bit, but it's still usable for now, which is fine by me. :) I wouldn't have been able to go any higher without all new cables. I thought it would take a few rides to get used to them but it turns out that it feels better than I thought it would and took no time at all. Within twenty minutes on the bike it felt like they had always been there.
The gel seat has turned out to be quite comfy now that I can sit all the way back in my seat as well.

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#6 Unread post by pchast »

Glad it worked out.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#7 Unread post by Loonette »

Glad it all worked out. I installed Kewl Metal risers on my Meanstreak, which raised the bars AND brought them back. It was one of my favorite modifications on my bike. And luckily, I didn't have to extend any cables (did have to drop the suspension, however, to get the cables underneath the bars). I actually LOVE having the cables under the bars - inspired me to install lower profile mirrors as well, so now I have virtually no visual distraction in front of me. ;-) Still need to replace my stock seat, though...

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Yammy1100
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Yammy1100 »

I take that back about the gel seat. It does not help with comfort at all. As a matter of fact it is hotter to sit on, from being in the sun, than it was with just the black seat. I am using the memory foam that came with the gel seat and that is making a difference. The piece of memory foam I am using is thin so I imagine a thick piece would work amazingly well.
2006 VStar 1100