Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: Royal Enfield

Help choose used/new 500 cc motorcycle

#1 Unread post by AMSOS »

Hi all,

I am trying to decide between getting a new or used motorcycle around 500 cc (adventure or standard) to be sold after 2 years of use. It’ll mostly be used for regular short commuting a few days in a week. It needs to be able to hold highway speeds, and there are plans to go long distance touring at least once. I don't plan to do any serious off-roading. A comfortable seating position is important (I am 6’ tall), but I don’t want to compromise and settle for a dull bike with little fun factor. Also important are low cost maintenance, and good resale value.

After an internet search, I have narrowed my pool down to - Honda CB500X, V-Strom 650, CB500F, CB300F, KTM 390 Duke (descending order of preference). I’d be interested in hearing members’ recommendations.

Alternatively, I have an eye out on getting a new motorcycle, perhaps a 2014 or 2015 (say, the CB500X) model. Is it okay to buy an older model that has probably been standing around for more than a year or two? Does that effect the engine performance in any way? Would you highly recommend getting one particularly if a 2016 model does not have any major improvements?

For instance, what do you say to a deal like this?

http://www.mmsmallofga.com/default.asp? ... wInventory

or this

http://www.mmsconyers.com/default.asp?p ... wInventory

In general, is it better to buy a new bike from an authorized dealer, or one like this that offers discounts?

Any other suggestions that help me decide would be appreciated!

Thanks

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Re: Help choose used/new 500 cc motorcycle

#2 Unread post by NorthernPete »

If your a new rider, used is never a bad idea. Find a decent 2-3 year old bike and you'll save quite a bit and won't be as worried about drops and dings.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

CB500X is a great choice, I'd choose that over a V-Strom.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

AMSOS
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: Royal Enfield

#4 Unread post by AMSOS »

Interesting that you say that. Frankly, I've been a little confused about ignoring the VS650, given that it's reputation is legendary. It's supposed to be a little top heavy, and while I am 6 feet tall, I don't exactly prefer big and heavy motorcycles (not much love for those big heavy cruisers). I'd appreciate if you say more about why you feel the CB is a better choice.

Moving on, I also notice that you have several BMW's. I've been seeing lot's of offers for BMW's within my budget. Catch is they are all mostly 2003-2009 models. I am kind of wary of getting any model less than 3-4 yrs old, even if maintained well. What do you say?

Should I be seriously considering BMW's that would fall within 4000-5000 $? [ Really like the F800 but that's out of my budget :( ]
Grey Thumper wrote:CB500X is a great choice, I'd choose that over a V-Strom.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

AMSOS wrote:Interesting that you say that. Frankly, I've been a little confused about ignoring the VS650, given that it's reputation is legendary. It's supposed to be a little top heavy, and while I am 6 feet tall, I don't exactly prefer big and heavy motorcycles (not much love for those big heavy cruisers). I'd appreciate if you say more about why you feel the CB is a better choice.
Sorry, I should've elaborated. I'm not sure if this will be your first bike, or if you've been riding a while. The former favors the Honda somewhat. Of course, these choices are highly personal and ultimately, you should try throwing a leg over both and see which appeals more; they're both really good choices.

I like the 500X because it feels more compact, slimmer, is significantly lighter (and possibly more nimble, although I haven't actually ridden a V-Strom to compare, only sat on one), and in general feels more modern than the Strom. Given your height, you might find the Strom more spacious though, it has more horsepower, and the 19inch front wheel and greater suspension travel are handy if you're doing some light off-pavement work.

As for the Beemers, hmmm. I've had pretty good experiences with mine, but it's still likely that Japanese bikes would be more reliable overall. The Beemer that would be closest to the bikes you're considering now would be the F650GS (a single-cylinder bike produced from 2000-07, then confusingly, an 800cc parallel twin from 08 onwards), which is more off-road capable, but has spoked wheels which need tubes.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."