totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

The Incredible Last Chapter of our Escape from Cuba

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

They say a photo is worth a 1000 words, I think this unbelievable photo I took from my passenger seat aboard Sunwing flight WG200D says it all. What you are looking at it the eye of Hurricane Irma from my view point. It eye is incredibly close to the aircraft and spinning at 362 km/h (225 mph) like a monster tornado. We are flying at an altitude of 41,000 feet, all engines at max throttle getting hit by debris and riding a roller coaster of heart-stopping turbulence in our bid to survive. We had no idea if we would even leave the runway with winds over 160 km/h (100 mph).

READ MY STORY HERE:

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/narrowl ... eOutofCuba

I'm here today only because of the bravery and heroics of the many people who helped us and from our own bravery and heroics of us helping ourselves make the right decisions at the right times.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

Re: The Incredible Last Chapter of our Escape from Cuba

#2 Unread post by pchast »

Glad You made it home in one piece.
Sounds like a frustrating exit all together.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

pchast wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:21 pm Glad You made it home in one piece.
Sounds like a frustrating exit all together.
Thanks so much, glad to be here to keep Total Motorcycle going! It was quite touch and go a lot of times over the 4 days of evacuation. With little to no information it really was a wing and a prayer. My wife and I worked great as a team when the SHTF. I saw many, many others fall apart around us going from extremes of "suing everyone in sight to breaking down to ignoring the threat and doing rotine tasks, like watering plants!"

The flight we took out really was the very last flight out of Cuba, no other planes were flying (other than our 3), anywhere from the top of Florida to the Caribbean.

Honestly, it is still hard to talk about and the closest I've come to not making it.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jakebarrell
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Jawa 950

#4 Unread post by jakebarrell »

Glad you made it home safe!

cherip31
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2017 HD 883 Iron

#5 Unread post by cherip31 »

Wow...that is scary. Glad you made it and have one heck of a story to tell.