8%

Total votes: 12

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Sev »

VermilionX wrote:
Sev wrote:No, we have a forum that was set aside to ask questions and seek help. Which means it gets posted in constantly and and DIY's either get pushed down to the last page where no one reads them, or they would all have to be stickied meaning new posts wouldn't show up on the first page.

Having all the DIY's in one section makes sense to me, especially if they are organized. Perhaps by make and model, or just general info. Things like torque settings and how to remove specific fasteners plus exact pictures of what you should be looking for on a specific bike would make for an amazing resource down the road, and would be perfect for someone who wants to start working on their own bike.
oh ok, i see.

but perhaps your DIY shouldn't even be a forum.

maybe it should be in total moto's main page instead.
... Putting it in the main page would require that Mike himself update the main page every time someone writes a new DIY. But if we had a specific forum set aside anyone could write one and all you need is a single (or several) moderator(s) to go through and say, "this is good, this is bad, this needs clarification."

As a specific model starts to collect several DIY's a new subforum could be created dedicated to that bike. This would encourage people to post about the work they do, and would give anyone looking to do something to their bike a great head start.

Less work for Mike, and if he wants he can move the best threads to the main page at his convenience.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#12 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Since it's been mentioned, I'll bring it up with the moderators and get some feedback from them as well about it.

I do agree that we have 3 garage forums that you could post a DIY thread, but having a 4th garage forum (or elsewhere in the forums) may not be a bad idea either...

I've changed the 1st post to be a poll as well. :D

Thanks for the suggestion!

mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#13 Unread post by JCS »

I see a DIY forum as more of a hands on type of thing. It could also double as a place to show how modifications were performed as opposed to just saying that they were done.

I see the the other forums as more of a place for questions and answers in a more general way. What works, what might work, what others are using, etc.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#14 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

I think that stuff should go in general maintenance. Questions should be asked in Troubleshooting, anyway.

I think the forum is already there, we just aren't using it correctly.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Keep working it out, I'm watching and reading this thread often. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#16 Unread post by sv-wolf »

As a wannabe in this department I'd certainly read it, though I'd probably not contribute much.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog