Audio ad complaint

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#11 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Dr Bar wrote:Why don't you simply point out the issue to Mike via a PM and you'll be surprised to know that he will kill that popup as quick as he can find it. No bad mouthing of the site needed. For your info, this site is Mike's job. With those pop ups, he pays for all the bandwidth that keeps this site up and running as well as pays his own bills. My opinion is that you owe him a sincere appology. Now, if you would just follow the above advice, you'll probably find the pop up gone....
:exactly:
Shorts wrote:Pay up or quit whining.

Post in the suggestion forum with all the other popup threads.
:soapbox: : The more members who actually send a little money to TMW equals fewer popups. Don't tell me you're broke. If you can afford to ride, you can afford $1 or more per year to support this site. Mike's nice enough and discreet enough to only ask for money once/year. He doesn't demand it. He doesn't have a minimum requirement. It's whatever you think you can afford and the site is worth to you.

:twocents: Pay Up or Shut Up

BeyondThePaint
Regular
Regular

#12 Unread post by BeyondThePaint »

pop-ups are a small price to pay if you don't actually want to pay with cash. If you understand business, then you know nothing is free. This site has to be funded somehow, and Mike is doing a great job.

Now say you are sorry, and lets move on.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#13 Unread post by JC Viper »

What pop ups are you talking about? I've never had a pop up from this site (don't worry I still tend to click on ads at the main page).

I use firefox, BitDefender Internet security v10, and I think the Webroot SpySweeper is doing most of the work if it isn't the firewall.

For Firefox I have Adblock, NoScript and speedup feature FasterFox.

Try some stuff to end the pop ups for almost all websites.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Meanie
Legendary
Legendary

#14 Unread post by Meanie »

I have to agree with the rest. The voice ad is about 3 seconds, big deal. Members need to realize what goes into keeping up a site like this. The webmaster does a lot of work to provide FREE communication with other members about the hobby we love. A few ads are nothing.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#15 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

The Ads are regional, so not every gets the same Ads. I complained of the Ipod phone one with voice, and Mike removed it. He needs a screenshot of the Ad, and the link of where it goes to when you click it.

He doesn't want us to be overly annoyed by something like those Ipod ads, but he said they are kind of hard to track down. So try asking nicely!!

While you are at it, click on some of the ads, they can help the site.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

Damian
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1994/Honda/Magna

#16 Unread post by Damian »

Well, I'm a web developer and I have to tell you that I'm in a constant state of awe at the number of ads on this site. I think the community here is great, I really appreciate Mike and the Mods' efforts, and I understand that webhosts don't accept smiles and hugs as payment, but there's no need for the ads to be so intrusive.

As JCViper mentioned, get Firefox with the Adblock Plus extension and the popups and ads will go away.
1994 Suzuki Katana 600
1994 Honda Magna 750

Pongo
Elite
Elite

Re: totalmotorcycle hit a new low

#17 Unread post by Pongo »

ninja79. You are the one that hit a low. Talk about, "biting the hand that feeds you".

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#18 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Sorry I didn't notice this thread yesterday when it started, I just saw it this morning.

ninja79, I'm truely disapointed that you've choosen to go this route of posting a thread in main talk section (rather than the suggestion box) and didn't even bother to contact me about it and called the thread something what was personally insulting to me. Total Motorcycle has not "entered a new low" at all, infact, all of us, me, my staff and over 10000 members make this place a very friendly place to be everyday. Read: http://totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=20707

I'm sorry about the ads. As DivideOverflow has mentioned and I've done many times in the past, if you don't like an ad, just let me know. Give me a screen shot and URL of it and I can find and kill it. I do not know of ANY other website that will do this as TMW is here for YOU FIRST not to make money off you first.

I keep killing as many popup ads as I possibly can, I've removed over 43 this month and another 4 this morning thanks to 4 new site supporters. I hope to REMOVE all popunder ads one day. See: http://totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=20823

ninja79, if you have a personal problem or a problem with an ad, come to me about it, don't involve the whole community on negative posts. There are over 2,000 different ad running in any month and I don't see them all, I just trust my advertisers they are good. The audio ones I KILL when I see them, so I'll look for your audio ad to kill it.

Thanks to all here for the support, I honestly try my best to keep the ads down and I appreciate that you do view and occassionally click on them, it does make a BIG difference. :D

Have a great day all and again, sorry for running ads. :(

Mike

UPDATE: I've started a new thread in the Suggestion Box to report ads that you would like removed. http://totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopi ... 136#180136

Also I'm still looking for that ninja79 ad as he didn't provide any information and I'm upto 2 hours into looking for it so far, I'm sure I'll find it...eventually.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Ok, I've removed every audio ad I could find, there were a few and they are ALL gone now. It's a revenue hit, but I'm still happy to do it for not only you Ninja79, but also for all our members here to make their experience more enjoyable too. :D

It will take a few hours for them to be removed completely.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.