faded sun
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

Re: New rider looking for a bike!

#11 Unread post by faded sun »

With your height and weight you should feel comfortable on anything in the 500cc range. Any cruiser at that displacement should take you to highway speeds easily, especially riding solo. I'm partial to Honda's but all the bike makers have decent models. You will probably be on something much lighter for the MSF course - which you should do - and after that it really is a matter of getting enough un-hurried experience to handle the weight of something bigger.

My 750 Shadow really doesn't feel much heavier than my 125 that I had years ago - until you have a passenger on the back, or go to put it on the center-stand.

Look through the Craigslist or Kijiji (or your local equivalent) for a few weeks and you will get a feel for what is out there and for how much. I spent 4 months looking for my last purchase (the Shadow 750) and when I saw it I knew what a good deal it was because I spent the time. In that case I had picked out the model and year range already. But it's winter so you do have the time to sift through things a bit. Also, do you have a friend that rides? I had several who I considered more knowledgeable on bikes and I got them to come look at bikes with me whenever I could. They sometimes see things you don't. ( I am assuming you will be buying used)

As mentioned above, if you are planning to move up after a bit of riding, the Rebel would be an excellent starter bike. And definitely more forgiving for those awkward learning curve moments. And available a lot cheaper. If you want to just jump in I agree with blues2cruise, the Yamaha 650 is a great bike, considering it's not made by Honda (just kidding lady blues). If you can find one, Honda made a Shadow 500 in the 80's that is the same styling as my 750. While it's not likely to have low km's they are way simpler to maintain than a lot of later model bikes. But keep looking - I found an 84 Honda 750 with 6300km (4000miles) on the clock! Now to be honest I did have to replace the gas tanks, but that was really about it.

Enjoy the adventure! Keep us posted on what you choose.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#12 Unread post by Hanson »

Congratulations TrashVamp! The simple fact that you came onto this forum looking for information is indicative of a person who want to learn, that is awesome, instead of someone who already knows everything. This is a common characteristic of good motorcyclists instead of those who just go splat. I wish I was that smart and level headed when I was twenty three.

Welcome to Total Motorcycle!
ImageImage

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#13 Unread post by Scott58 »

This is what a Rebel can do. http://scott58.webs.com/roadtrip.htm Since that trip it went through 14 states and 2 countries. Saved enough on gas over my buddies bike to stay in hotels for free.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

m.sanchez
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: GW250

#14 Unread post by m.sanchez »

Welcome aboard. Im new to this as well. Im really stoked about being a biker. Its nerve racking but it definitely is an adrenaline rush.

fzrbiker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1992/yamaha/fzr

#15 Unread post by fzrbiker »

TrashVamp wrote:Thanks.
I plan to take the MSF course pretty soon and, I'm sure I learn quite a bit there.
I'd like to shoot for a 400 or 500cc model but, I guess I'll figure that out more soon enough. Any bikes of the heavier size you would recommenced looking into?

That your be a good plan and investment. About your bike criteria check out the new cbr 500 or er6 f/n its not that expensive, but very modern.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#16 Unread post by Hanson »

Lots of good advice so far.

I would just add that you will learn quite a bit in your BRC. While in your class, pay attention to how you fit on the bike you are riding, and then after you are done with the class, go to a lot of dealerships and sit on a lot of motorcycle. Size matters, but if the fit is close then a motorcycle can also be modified to improve the fit. Some bikes are going to be a better fit right from the start, and others are not.

Also, make sure that your budget for riding gear, a good helmet, jacket, pants, boots and gloves. Don't spend all your funds on the bike and then skimp on your gear.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage