For the BEGINNER BIKER

ticktock
Rookie
Rookie

#101 Unread post by ticktock »

No different then when you get in a car, that first few miles are the ones you have to take in consideration even when you leave the office after a hard days work.
Could it also be that there are more cars on the road as well? Mikeydude you stated that: More crashes happen to people with no training. I don’t know if that is true as I have not seen any facts on that as to date but it does make some sense. Especially after seeing the number of accidents from young drivers. Could this be why they suggest a smaller cc bike for the beginner?

Guys don’t get me wrong here I am not disagreeing with the idea of smaller cc bikes to start I just have a lot of doubts that it well really make that much difference in the end and as for training well I am sure it is of some help but I look at what drivers training has accomplished for the 16 year old and it has many flaws.
I myself rode for many years with a group of prows who rode in parades and taught me control and balance on my bike as well we rode from state to state. Just got done last week taking a refresher course and they lean with the small starter bikes to. So don’t take it personal I just want to understand all of this and I am one of those people who have doubts till I see the proof and to date I have not seen any real facts just a lot of different opines from moderators and bike salesmen not even Progressive Insurance I wrote to could give me any numbers to back the claims I have heard here and on other sites. :|

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#102 Unread post by dieziege »

Regarding gear helping to prevent crashes... remember that these studies are based on reported incidents, not all incidents. When they say "crash" they mean "crash report". The rider not needing medical help is a MAJOR factor in preventing crash reports.

10 minutes/miles from home.... I drive 2 hours a day, or which 20 minutes is spent within 10 miles (or minutes..roughly the same) of home. only 1 minute in 6 is spent near home. I'm not unusual...so that 10-minute circle is not where everyone spends most of their time. I also know people that will, for example, remove their seatbelt once they are in their home neighborhood, or once they are ready to make the left hand turn into a parking lot for that matter. Weirds me out 'cause that final turn across traffic is often the most dangerous part of the drive. Anyway, that's cars... but if the attitude carries over to bikes... people getting off their guard, perhaps unzipping their jacket or something, you might well see a spike in reported incidents.

BTW: reducing reported incidents is a legit goal... since most reports come with injury counts.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#103 Unread post by flynrider »

ticktock wrote:Flynrider:
Where did you get the facts that all are riding large powerful bikes?
From the information I have gotten to date Speed- alcohol seems to be at the top of the list.
I have yet to find any information on the sizes of bikes used in theses accidents; could you please send me the site address?
Did I say "all"? I don't think so. I was referring to propensity of the "over 40" demographic that is dominating the fatality rates to ride large powerful bikes. Anecdotally, one only has to visit a twisty mountain road on a spring weekend to see what these folks are riding. Emperically, you can check out the IIHS site for this data :

In 2004, only 7 percent of fatally injured operators younger than 40 drove motorcycles with engines
above 1400 cc, compared to 34 percent of riders forty and older.

They have a nice chart and graph, which is not easily reproducable here.
IIHS Fatality Facts :
http://www.iihs.org/research/fatality_f ... cycles.pdf

Other stats show that the increase in fatalities that began to surge around 1996 can be mostly attributed to this demographic group. The increases in single vehicle accidents would suggest that training is a factor.

When I take a weekend trip up to the twisty roads, I see my share of squids on sportbikes, but they're vastly outnumbered by over-40s on large, heavy bikes, displaying atrocious riding skills. As one of the over-40s myself (although I've been riding continuously for 25 yrs.), all I can do is shake my head.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

ticktock
Rookie
Rookie

#104 Unread post by ticktock »

Flynrider you can come down now and take a deep breath.

Attitude son it’s all in your attitude that’s what my father use to say. If you want to try and be above others and nit pick then you well never get your point across.
Finally what I have been asking for the numbers something other then a bunch of people saying all kinds of stuff that makes no sense.
May I suggest you send all new riders there to see the numbers and then the point can be made? I said once if someone could just show me the facts I would back them up and tell everyone start small and learn before you jump on a big bike ok then START SMALL AND TAKE CLASSE’S .

MikeyDude
Elite
Elite

#105 Unread post by MikeyDude »

Hey guys... I didn't write them, I just read them. the Hurt Report is one source and there's a newer report that was done in Europe, the MAIDS... They both say pretty much the same thing.

If you find the wearing gear thing hard to believe you'll never get a grip on the stat that says riders with white helmets have fewer crashes than riders wearing black helmets. I think there was something along the lines that riders that wear gear and have training are more safety consious than riders that just "Go for it" and are therefore less likely to crash because of this. Un-licensed riders have more crashes too...

But please don't take my word for it. Read the Hurt Report and the MAIDS Report and judge for yourselves.

Hurt Report Summary ---> CLICKITY

Maids Report Summary ----> CLICKITY
~ It's not the quantity of miles -- It's the quality of the ride ~

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#106 Unread post by flynrider »

ticktock wrote:Flynrider you can come down now and take a deep breath.

Attitude son it’s all in your attitude that’s what my father use to say. If you want to try and be above others and nit pick then you well never get your point across.
Finally what I have been asking for the numbers something other then a bunch of people saying all kinds of stuff that makes no sense.
May I suggest you send all new riders there to see the numbers and then the point can be made? I said once if someone could just show me the facts I would back them up and tell everyone start small and learn before you jump on a big bike ok then START SMALL AND TAKE CLASSE’S .
You asked for the website. You got it.

As for my attitude, I'm not trying to put myself above anyone. Merely commenting on what I see on the streets every day. I've been riding for a long time and I've never seen anything like the kind of carnage we're seeing these days. It doesn't take an expert to spot an untrained motorcyclist.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

ticktock
Rookie
Rookie

#107 Unread post by ticktock »

After reading more stats I do agree with the findings so I don't know what some of you want. You don't learn if you don't ask. :wink:
Like I said I wanted to learn but I think I well take it to people who have a more open mind and can help instead of ridiculing with rude remarks’.

Mikeydude
If you find the wearing gear thing hard to believe you'll never get a grip on the stat that says riders with white helmets have fewer crashes than riders wearing black helmets.

Ride with and angle and be safe.

devilsdiciple
Rookie
Rookie

1000RR Fireblade

#108 Unread post by devilsdiciple »

Hi Guys!!
Was going thru all the posts here. I have a question. I have been riding bikes for nearly 6 years. But the max I have gone upto is 350cc. I want to buy a used 1000RR. Any inputs would be appreciated.
cheers

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#109 Unread post by Kal »

You might want to cross post this across to the Total Motorcycle or Experienced riders board as a new thread.

Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

thechillest
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#110 Unread post by thechillest »

I'm considering purchasing a motorcycle...I'm following the steps but having trouble deciding on which bike to purchase. I would like to buy a harley davidson, any suggestions?