For the BEGINNER BIKER

redbar1
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#81 Unread post by redbar1 »

I don't own a bike. However, I passed the MSF course and have the motorcycle classification on my DL. Today, based on the recommendations in this forum, I bought Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling." It will be my bedtime reading; something to fashion my dreams. I think my first machine will be a used Honda Rebel 250.

biker_rach
Veteran
Veteran

should be able to touch the ground

#82 Unread post by biker_rach »

domenica wrote:wow that is a really nice bike!

well, i am not sure getting a thinner seat would help me... my feet almost dont even touch. i kind of assumed it was important to be able to really touch the street?
yikes! This would really freak me out. hahah but then I dont like when I cant touch the ground on a bicycle lol... but seriously, I would REALLY recommend getting a bike that you can flatfoot. I have a honda shadow so it's no problem, but I dont know what sport bike you would look at for a low seat. Are you really stuck on sportbikes?
Last edited by biker_rach on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://csrascootertrash.com/pictures/mybike.jpg[/img]

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-2006-Suzuki-M50-Boulevard-W0QQAdIdZ28481745

Jeffreybomb
Rookie
Rookie

#83 Unread post by Jeffreybomb »

I recently went into a powersports dealer to look around for the hell of it. I told a salesman who approached me I was a first-time rider, just to see what he'd say.

He recommended a Honda VTX1800.

Uhh... yeah. Thought you guys would get a kick outta that.
We travel in the dark of the new moon: a starry highway traced on the [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NRQU2/sr=8-1/qid=1142793739/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-0900890-6832610?%5Fencoding=UTF8]map of the sky[/url].

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

#84 Unread post by kabob983 »

When a dealer sees a new rider most of the time they assume they want to "look cool" on a bike rather than learn to ride. That's why you see alot of dealers pushing new riders towards the RR bikes and the high CC cruisers.

Rather infuriating...
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

ticktock
Rookie
Rookie

#85 Unread post by ticktock »

At this point and time I am so confused over the issue of bike size it makes my head spin. Having had a Mac Shamrock Shake this month it was not a pretty site to see, wipers going on all the cars in back of me at 65 miles and hour down the freeway. Throttle too much on big bike, to heavy to hold up, to hard to control a big bike, One say’s get a 500 another say’s a 750/800 is ok, it’s a night mare for the poor guy buying his first bike. I meet a kid the other day who bought a 1600 Mean Streak for his first bike reason being it’s what he could afford now not buying a second bike in two years and he said he felt like a fool on a little bike 275lbs at 6’2 tall with his knees in his noise. Yes he went and took all the needed courses and he rides with some old guys who have had butt implants from sitting so long on a bike. It seems the old riders don’t have much to say these days but I know many who got on a big machine and learned from dad. Yes they crashed and some got killed but less at that time then today and I think that has to do with the amount of vehicles on the road today and the real bad drivers and the number of bikes sold each year. I went with the 800 because it has been a long time since I have ridden and it just made me feel more comfortable coming back with what I call a little bike and I can afford to replace it in another year. Having put over 5 grand on it since last May so now does that qualify me as and experienced rider or do I need to have 10,001 miles or ten years of driving? I don’t think it’s so much the size of a bike but that one has to know there limitations. I have seen them all over the years from a 5’2 guy on a Kawasaki 2000 who could only stand on his tip toes when he stopped to 6’ girl on a crotch rocket who could handle that bike better then most guys. Do I disagree or agree with the whole issue well the book is still open for me. Well I tell someone to buy a big bike over a smaller bike for there first one never, even if the facts are there to prove it either way. If the proof is there I well tell them to take a look but in the end as we all know it is each of ours decision to make. So what are the numbers are they higher if a new rider is on a big bike or lower on a smaller bike more on a crotch rocket then a cruiser. There seems to be a lot of second hand smoke these days but who was the person blowing the smoke? If anyone can get the figures from a good insurance company post them so we can all see them and if it shows that the size of the bike matters I well back it with every word I type and say to others but as I said above I still won’t tell someone else what to buy just show them the figures. I don’t want to hear Joe down the street stories that have been passed down from one person to the next adding a few words more each time. Please don’t post some guys site who worked for and insurance company and is retired and has driven 100,000 miles and say’s he said and he said and read it from some other site and then made his own site up. Facts I deal in facts a picture is worth how many words? Let’s put it to rest once and for all know more in my opinion but a page with the numbers for each to look at. :| :|

redbar1
Rookie
Rookie

#86 Unread post by redbar1 »

That is a scary thought about motorcycle salesmen sizing up new riders as fresh meat. However, one must remember that you are dealing at arm's length with these jokers. Also, having done a lot of homework on the internet about the various bikes I had interest in, I found myself better informed about the machines than the salespeople were.

Knowing and riding WITHIN your limitations is an all too important and overlooked concept. That is why I, at age 49, and never having ridden a bike except in the basic rider course last summer, just bought a used Honda 250 Rebel.

With 100 miles under my belt, does it feel a bit underpowered? It does. Will I want something bigger? Probably. Nevertheless, I have promised myself to ride it for at least one year. This will permit me to accomplish a number of things. First, it will allow me to hone my riding skills and increase my confidence on a small bike that is unlikely to get out of control. Second, it will permit me to get used to maneuvering in traffic; I am uncomfortable when vehicles are behind me. Third, if I can put on another 400 or 500 miles, I plan to use it in the experienced rider course in July.

As for insurance quotes, Progressive gave me the best quote. State Farm was higher. I checked Geico, too. All I can say about Geico is, in my opinion, "They must be high on drugs."

DragonSlayer
Elite
Elite

#87 Unread post by DragonSlayer »

redbar1 wrote:All I can say about Geico is, in my opinion, "They must be high on drugs."
we've known for years, havent you seen their ads?

talking lizards... :humm:
Fly, you must fly
-Harley Sportster 883 '98

ticktock
Rookie
Rookie

#88 Unread post by ticktock »

Redbar1
As for insurance quotes, Progressive gave me the best quote. State Farm was higher. I checked Geico, too. All I can say about Geico is, in my opinion, "They must be high on drugs."

I don’t know what to say I only pay $150.00 per year with Geico and I am upping my coverage this year so my rate is around $175.00 a year.

redbar1
Rookie
Rookie

#89 Unread post by redbar1 »

Ticktock,

Good for you. My driving record is spotless. I have no accidents, no claims made, no convictions or court supervision for traffic offenses. In fact, my last traffic ticket, the second of two, was issued in 1987. Regardless, for full coverage, i.e., 250K/500K, Geico wanted over $500 per year to insure me on the Rebel. Progressive asked for less than $120. You do the math.

Also, as an aside, about a year ago, Geico quoted me an annual premium of $2,400 to insure my Chevy (not a Vette). Perhaps, they don't want to insure anyone in Illinois, or at the very least, me.

dko683
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#90 Unread post by dko683 »

I am a complete newb about motorcycles. I tried riding my friend's Suzuki GF500 once and I'm going to take the MSF course soon. I'm thinking about getting the SV650S or YZF600R as my first bike. I'm 5'10 and 190lbs. Which bike do you guys recoomend? I consider myself to be mature and responsible, so I will definitely respect the bike, whatever it is.