For the BEGINNER BIKER

Suzuk-E
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#161 Unread post by Suzuk-E »

The Suzuki GS500F is a good beginner ride because it has an easy power band, looks awesome (like a mini GSXR) and is suitable for most any body size. It's more than capable of tackling highway speeds and the riding position isn't so severe that you will have a sore back at the end of the day.

:D

mcneese5
Regular
Regular

New Rider Here

#162 Unread post by mcneese5 »

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and a new rider, about 2 months now. I want to take the safety class but they are all booked. So I decided I would just get out there. My first bike is a Honda Shadow ACE 750 and it fells really good to me. I am a big guy a 6, 0 and 290. I have put about 900 miles on the bike so far. I feel this bike is a good bike for me, its very comfortable and I seem to have no problems controling it ( so far) I am 36 years old and I am all about safety. I work in a hospital and work on people all the time. ( around here speeding is the biggest cause 90+) I am interested to see what your thoughts are about my first bike. I got it at a good price($2400) with about 8000 miles on it. It seems to run well , even with my big but on it.I WILL take the safety class asap. but I couldnt just sit there and watch it. Whats your thoughts???

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

Re: New Rider Here

#163 Unread post by flw »

mcneese5 wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to this site and a new rider, about 2 months now. I want to take the safety class but they are all booked. So I decided I would just get out there. My first bike is a Honda Shadow ACE 750 and it fells really good to me. I am a big guy a 6, 0 and 290. I have put about 900 miles on the bike so far. I feel this bike is a good bike for me, its very comfortable and I seem to have no problems controling it ( so far) I am 36 years old and I am all about safety. I work in a hospital and work on people all the time. ( around here speeding is the biggest cause 90+) I am interested to see what your thoughts are about my first bike. I got it at a good price($2400) with about 8000 miles on it. It seems to run well , even with my big but on it.I WILL take the safety class asap. but I couldnt just sit there and watch it. Whats your thoughts???
Without seeing you ride it would be impossible to really give your a good answer. But if your just looking for general opinions, like arses, we all have one.

Only because its after the fact can I say for you, it was most likely ok for a larger first bike. As long as you take it slow as far as pushing your type of rides to well within your abilities, you should be ok. No telling if some idiot will rear end or cut off any of us no matter what ones experience is.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

btlegend
Regular
Regular

agree to all

#164 Unread post by btlegend »

first off, im 35 and ive just enrolled into a MSF cource.....in the past, i have had numerous friends ride and(putting my life in danger) let me ride there bikes from time to time. being that ive never ouned one my self, except a few years ago i had a very used kawasaki el 250. i believe it was a rare bike, i couldnt find much parts for it. it felt great in the saddle and for a beginner was perfectly used. but now my actual "street leagal bike", a new '07 legend 250, cruiser ( wich is a rebel 250 with a different body style ) i to wanted a bigger manlier bike, like the kawasaki meanstreak, kawaski 800 or 750. and posibly the bmw 1200c, the great looking legend 250 fits me perfect...glad i didnt get bigger, maybe later...
my therapist has two wheels, a throttle, and always has time or me...

houstonboy
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Opinion Needed on Hondas as a Newbie Bike

#165 Unread post by houstonboy »

I have been looking to buy a bike from Honda since they have a great engine,, and I don't kwow what to do. Can you help me out with your opinions on which to get?

I have read the posts that some of the CBR or Interceptor bikes might be too much for a 5'10" 185lbs guy. I seriously like the CBR600, when I tired it on in the show room becuase of the lighter weight and smaller size. I know there are issues associated with the power and the CC on this bike, but I want to a sports style bike no matter what I get. I am open to other makers, but I have not found one similar to it as of yet. I would be open to getting an older model as my first bike. Also, is there something from Honda that has less plastic and a more upright position? What are your thoughts on this issue?

Thanks......

:frusty:
Looking for a sporty bike in Texas.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: For the BEGINNER BIKER

#166 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I don't know you but I am gonna say this a 600cc race replica and thats what you would be buying is NOT A TOY and I don't recommend any beginner get one. This or any 600ccRR deserves respect and caution when it comes to new riders. They are extremely temperamental with varying power bands. The brakes are very very good and if you grab to much your in trouble. Ask yourself this to see if you are on the right path. I am in a quick stop situation what should I do? If jam on the rear brake was your answer you fail and your probably on the way to the hospital as I type. What do I do if I am in a turn to fast and with the speed and power of a RR you will find yourself in this position enough what do I do? If brakes were any part of your answer as a beginner see above comments.
I don't mean to and apologize if I sound dickish but I really hate to see people get screwed up when they could be enjoying this wonderful sport.
there aint nothin like it

IzoAzlion
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None yet, looking at Ninja/CBR 250

#167 Unread post by IzoAzlion »

Scary.

For what I think is an accurate representation (at a guess, correct me if I'm wrong Brumbear) - View this clip of Richard Hammond from UK's Top Gear driving a formula one car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... sHo#t=340s

This is after he's driven two other 'smaller', 'slower' cars before - watch the full 10 minutes if you haven't seen it, its good.

I guess the only real difference here is the fact its got 4 wheels and he has a very strong shell around him... and hes on a track. Take your CBR600 and put it on the road, where people brake and turn without warning, on a bike where a half-inch twist of the throttle will make you feel like you're in Star Wars...

Just saying. And I don't really mind if I sound a dick, I've no experience to go on, I just have a very strong incentive to live.

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#168 Unread post by pchast »

Good analogy.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#169 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Very cool IZO. The RR series bike is made to perform ON RAILS if you will not to good in traffic. There are many alternatives to this though without giving up the flickability of the sixxers. This is a trackday vid of a cbr 6 and pocono east is a tiny rough track watch the speedo and it's not KPH your looking at. This track has one of the shortest straights and look at the speed this bike makes!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJIH5GCtM7Y
Hopefully you will find an SV 650 or a 650R Ninja the parallel twin models I forget Verseys and another one. Buell x seriesthey are all torquey and flickable not hyper sensative nice linear power and smoth good luck Houston.
there aint nothin like it

raypitter
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 2012 shadow phantom

#170 Unread post by raypitter »

I love Suzuki GS500F. It is an awesome bike! Its all qualities like power, brakes, comfort, safety make it superb bike..