How to wheelie (and other squidly activities)

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#41 Unread post by Kal »

Call for Doohun... A Mr Darwin would like a word...

:)

You're good, we all do stupid things when we are teenagers...
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#42 Unread post by Wrider »

But! at least you admit he's good... The guy that I used to know who did trials was extremely good at it... He'd ride nose wheelies around, do wheelie hops up to about 5' or so, bunny hops about 4'... Not only that, but then he'd also wheelie around the campus... just riding to class, he'd wheelie for half a mile or so, no problem, smiling at all the pretty ladies that stopped and stared! lol
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#43 Unread post by intotherain »

Kal wrote:Call for Doohun... A Mr Darwin would like a word...

:)

You're good, we all do stupid things when we are teenagers...
hey now, its a good alternative to tricking on a 400 pound motorcycle

jamnjim
Rookie
Rookie

#44 Unread post by jamnjim »

Wrider wrote:
MrGompers wrote:How do you get out of a wheelie ? Tap the rear brake ?
Let off the gas maybe?
I don't want to sound like the worrier here, but my belief is if you want to kill yourself, do it somewhere away from interstates, highways, and public streets. Frankly, I admire the lack of fear and the skill required to pull it off, but fools that pull wheelies on busy highways are putting others at risk. If they lose control, other innocent drivers on the road at the time may be required to take evasive action and could possibly lose control of their own vehicle, causing serious injury or death to themselves and their passengers. Why should they pay for your foolishness? Let's do what we can to give motorcycling a good name and think about our actions while we're out there. :wink:

HarleyW
Regular
Regular

#45 Unread post by HarleyW »

WVUChrome wrote:
They cannot ticket you for reckless driving (or other wheelie related offenses), since the traffic laws only apply to public streets.
This is not true and is simply a myth. I know for FACT, from experience you can get traffic violations in a private parking lot. Can you get a parking ticket, I don't know. But, I was given a ticket for a moving violation in a parking lot. Yes they can do it, yes they have the right to do it, no fighting it will not make you "automatically win." (For those that care it was "excessive speed." At the time I didn't think 25 mph in a large empty parking lot was excessive.)

Later,
WVUChrome...
Man, AZ must suck, i live in texas, and if your own your own land or someone elses land that is private, you can pretty much do whatever the "donut" you want.
You are your life, dont shove a stick up your "O Ring".

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#46 Unread post by Brackstone »

flynrider wrote:
MrGompers wrote:The bike I have won't wheelie.
Sure it will. It probably won't do it just by power alone, but it'll do it. A friend of mine owned a bike shop years ago, before the days when bikes had so much excess hp. He wheelied every bike in the shop from the mopeds to the big Harleys. It's all in the technique.
+1 to this, I got my ninja 250 up on one wheel by accident. I had to change my underwear when I got back home and I think all the other drivers thought I was nuts because for the first time I got A LOT of space between me and the cagers :)
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#47 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

keep the rubber side down there's no wobble and you go faster period.
there aint nothin like it

Motojack
Rookie
Rookie

#48 Unread post by Motojack »

Never did exactly tell me how to do that wheelie.
I feel more like I do right now than I did when I first got here.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#49 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Motojack wrote:Never did exactly tell me how to do that wheelie.
hmmm if you re-read the original post, you will find
"Then you go out and beat the snot out of your bike. And body. Rev it up high and dump the clutch. Pick the bike up and try it again, maybe a little less throttle this time. Or more if you wimped out and didn't get it up. The universe hates a cowardly stunter. Go hard or go home, this is no game for wussies. If you have any skill or hope of improvement at all, you will soon get the feel for what you have to do, just like learning to ride in the first place. If you don't.... time to re-think this adventure. "
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

cyclebiker
Rookie
Rookie

Getting Started!

#50 Unread post by cyclebiker »

I'm Just getting into this stuff. So this read was very interesting to me. I think it really just comes down to getting out there and doing it. We can read about it all day long. But you have to man up and just go after it.
Brian