Some basics for the Beginner Biker...

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Some basics for the Beginner Biker...

#1 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Courtesy of TechTMW (that thread had gotten ungainly).

Welcome to the Total Motorcycle Community! We're here to help you along on your path to becoming the best rider out there. Please take a few moments to review this post before getting started on the forums - hopefully many of your questions can be answered right here!

When I was starting off, I didn't care about anything except getting out there and riding. Luckily I didn't have the cash to buy a bike at the time, so I spent all my time reading about riding. Two very helpful books that I picked up immediately were David Hough's Books, 'Proficient Motorcycling,' and 'More Proficient Motorcycling.' These books really opened my eyes as to all of the Safety and Technical aspects of riding a motorcycle, as well as important techniques such as countersteering and choosing a proper line in a curve. I highly recommend both of these books to the beginning biker.

If you are not the type that likes to sit and read (How'd you make it this far down the post? ) the most important piece of advice I can give is to take the Motorcycle Safety Course in your area BEFORE you buy a bike. They will teach you the basics of operating a motorcycle, and upon successful completion of a 3-day course, most states award you a motorcycle endorsement to your license without a test.

SO YOU THINK YOU'VE DECIDED ON A BIKE:
Just wait a minute - I have a few things for you to consider.

INSURANCE: You may not think this is a big deal, or maybe you have parents kind enough to put you on thie insurance. It's still important for you to find out the cost of insuring the motorcycle of your choice. Insurance can cost up to $4,000 per year depending on your age, history, location, type of bike, and desired coverage. Don't buy the bike, and then find out you have to pay $350 per month just for insurance! Typically, an insurance company will lower the premium if you've taken an MSF course.

SAFETY: You need to purchase the proper riding gear. A good Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Boots (footwear that protects the ankles), and if you are wise, riding pants are necessary to avoid major injury if you down the bike. Depending on the brand and style this can get expensive. $500-$1500 is normal to spend. If it's too hot in your area to wear a jacket, don't worry, most motorclothes manufacturers offer fully armored mesh jackets which are very cool in the summer as the wind blows right through them.

BIKE COMPATIBILITY: It sounds funny, but you really should try the motorcycle on for size before you buy it. Go down to the dealership and sit on it for a while. If it doesn't feel comfortable at the dealership, imagine how it will feel after a half hour of riding. If your bike makes you feel physically uncomfortable, it will be difficult for you to devote full attention to the road ahead of you, and this is a huge safety concern! Another important factor is whether you can flat foot the bike. Most bikes are built for the average 5'9" (ish) person. Shorter people may not be able to touch the ground while on the bike. This is not a major issue for an experienced rider, but believe me, if you drop your bike at an intersection because your footing isn't steady, you won't be too happy!

LIFESTYLE: I'm not going to give you a bunch of stuff about how you are joining a community of people who love to share the open road, or enjoy a mystical bond with their machines, etc. There is enough "Biker Lifestyle" everywhere you look these days ... we're drowning in it. I like to think that the real "Biker Lifestyle" - the one they don't sell you on TV, is a lifestyle of attention to detail, subtle concentration, and most of all, one of patience. Because, for example, if you don't check your tire pressure regularly, keep a close eye the road ahead of you, and know when your skills won't allow you to keep up with a group of experienced riders, there's a very good chance you are dramatically reducing your lifespan.

For more in-depth, helpful reading, check out Total Motorcycle's own E-book,
"Beginner's Guide to Motorcycling" http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school.htm

For those considering purchasing a Used or older bike, see Total Motorcycle's
"Used Motorcycle Buyer's Guide" http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/buyersguide.htm

Don't understand what the heck a certain phrase means??
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/dictiona ... -index.htm

FINALLY, all the members of Total Motorcycle have differing views of what the best beginner bike is. Hopefully some folks will chime in here and let you beginners know what's a good bike to begin on and what you should probably steer clear of. To start off with -

The Suzuki GS500F is a good beginner ride because it has an easy power band, looks awesome (like a mini GSXR) and is suitable for most any body size. It's more than capable of tackling highway speeds and the riding position isn't so severe that you will have a sore back at the end of the day.

The Suzuki GSX-R600 is NOT a suitable beginner's bike. The razor-sharp throttle, handling, and brakes make this one an excellent second bike. It's perfectly suited to honing the skills that you've developed over time on a smaller bike. It is not mistake friendly, so it's a good idea not to get on one of these babies until you've advanced through your beginner stages on something easier to handle!

The suggestion about not going for a high performance or large engine bike right off the bat is very true. It's not just the ramblings of some old man (not meaning you, TechBMW ). I've only been riding for about a year, and I'm really really glad I started small. You might tell yourself, "I can handle it if I just take it easy, and then when I'm ready I can use its full potential". I thought this myself, but thankfully the only affordable thing in the newspaper ads was a 440.
The mistakes made on my 440 would have been terribly worse on a 600+. Nobody makes mistakes intentionally, but they do happen often when learning (at least for me they did). Remember there is always time in the future to move up.

Also, I recommend buying used. For two reasons:

1. It's cheaper, so when you are ready to move up it doesn't seem like your first bike was a waste of money.

2. If the motorcycle is already a bit of a beater, you don't feel sick when it tips over. Mine tipped three or so times (all when stopped) on the right side, which was already scraped when I bought it. Just picked it up, brushed off my ego (I'll never see those people again anyway), and kept on riding!

Which reminds me... if you can, try to find one with a low center of gravity. This isn't really all that important, but it does help. Mine was a bit topheavy for me early on.

Guess that's all I have for now!
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

paulgs850
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

yeah!

#2 Unread post by paulgs850 »

i am SO glad i found totalmotorcycle.com!!!!!!

xornr89
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by xornr89 »

Suzuki GS500F is such a nice looking bike, i rekon it is perfect for beginners like me. Wells gonna go and check out the specs!

2_wheeler
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by 2_wheeler »

i've onli joined today but i've learnt so much on this site compared to the past 6 or so months that i have been talking with ppl.
--=== motors2cycle ===---

whisper15
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by whisper15 »

:lol: Lots of nice info.
Wish I knew more before buying my first bike. But I made it ok....I am now on my fourth bike and love it..Love riding it.
ENJOY :thumbsup:
Ride Often and Ride Safe.

dweiss
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2009 QLink LG250

#6 Unread post by dweiss »

I love this forum already, and I haven't even been a member for 24-hours!

I sure do appreciate all of the advice for a newbie rider like me.

Did I miss it, or is there a reason that I cannot find my make/model/year of cycle under the Motorcycle Model Guide link on the left side of the main page of the site? I just purchased a 1982 Honda CM450A...and it isn't listed at all (I was bummed). If I missed it, feel free to bop me one upside the head... ;-)
Debbie Weiss
www.superstitionranch.com
"I don't own my horses, they own me. It is a relationship that I have no plans of changing".

Proud owner of a 2009 QLink LG250
Past owner of a 1982 Honda CM450A

Wind Rider
Rookie
Rookie

Small ladies bike

#7 Unread post by Wind Rider »

I'm only 5' 1". I got a Honda Rebel for a first bike. It's the only bike that I have found that I can reach everything.

Have a great day!

Icelg
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

So far, so good........

#8 Unread post by Icelg »

I've got the Proficient Motorcycling book and have been reading that nightly. I took the H/D Riders Edge 5 day course, and passed. I bought a bike, I have my equipment, etc. etc.

Now, how do I get rid of the nervous edge while riding and get my stomach back to normal?

:X
Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

Re: So far, so good........

#9 Unread post by Skier »

Icelg wrote:I've got the Proficient Motorcycling book and have been reading that nightly. I took the H/D Riders Edge 5 day course, and passed. I bought a bike, I have my equipment, etc. etc.

Now, how do I get rid of the nervous edge while riding and get my stomach back to normal?

:X
Experience will help.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

RocketGirl
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Virago 250

#10 Unread post by RocketGirl »

I bought a new bike too. I finally relaxed and started enjoying my bike when I realized:

(1) I have my bike insured, so dropping it wasn't an issue, nor was leaving it out of my sight in a public parking area.

(2) I started out slow. My first ride out was 3.0 miles around the neighborhood. My second ride, 11.0 miles, again around the neighborhood. I didn't leave the neighborhood and venture onto one of the two 50mph roads that border it until I had 50.0 miles in the saddle.

Good luck, have fun, and know your limitations. 8)