JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

Re: Ninja 250 Vs Ninja 500

#21 Unread post by JC Viper »

The Neutral finder on the Kawasaki bikes are great for newbs, and the gear box tends to be smooth/ slick compared to suzuki (unless you go into GSX-R territory).

You can always get a set of clip on bars for the Ninja 500 but not sure if you can change the peg position on the GS500. The constant shifting on small bikes help new riders getting used to working the gears to get into the power range. Another reason why small bikes are good as learner bikes.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

JVRR
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

#22 Unread post by JVRR »

I meant purely the fact that there was more room between the peg and shifter on the Ninja. I think both make great starting bikes. I am not sure what clip on bars are, the problem, if I recall correctly, was that the bars felt much more cramped on the Ninja than the GS500. Honestly beginner bikes come down to price I think, definitely for me (I was still looking for Ninjas, wanted a GS500 but only chance that the good deal I found happened to be on a GS500). But I think it is common to get too into price and specs and forget about the basic factor of fit.

Sitting on some bikes can be very useful.

I originally assumed that I was more of a cruiser guy, but wanted to start on a sport bike if only because I am young (plenty of time for cruisers :D)... but after taking a seat on a cruiser I was horrified by the feeling of having my feet out in front of me. Something I would no doubt get used to- but the point is just a few minutes of sitting on different bikes can change a lot.
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#23 Unread post by JC Viper »

JVRR wrote:I meant purely the fact that there was more room between the peg and shifter on the Ninja. I think both make great starting bikes. I am not sure what clip on bars are, the problem, if I recall correctly, was that the bars felt much more cramped on the Ninja than the GS500. Honestly beginner bikes come down to price I think, definitely for me (I was still looking for Ninjas, wanted a GS500 but only chance that the good deal I found happened to be on a GS500). But I think it is common to get too into price and specs and forget about the basic factor of fit.
Sitting on some bikes can be very useful.

I originally assumed that I was more of a cruiser guy, but wanted to start on a sport bike if only because I am young (plenty of time for cruisers :D)... but after taking a seat on a cruiser I was horrified by the feeling of having my feet out in front of me. Something I would no doubt get used to- but the point is just a few minutes of sitting on different bikes can change a lot.
Yeah, I know but I wouldn't be surprised if there were mods available for that type of thing. Clip On handle bars are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_handlebar
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.