rlmitchell
Regular
Regular
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 250

HELP! Sun Glare

#1 Unread post by rlmitchell »

Just curious if anyone has run into the issue that I have. I am getting a HORRIBLE sun glare in the evenings when we're driving into the sun. There are moments that I'm going down the road and all I see are the reflections of my eyeballs or the reflection of my controls!

I have a 1/2 face helmet with a visor and a sun visor. My bike also has a windshield.

Anyone else ever had this issue? Any recommendations? Needless to say, it's very scary for a learner!

HELP!

Rhonda

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: HELP! Sun Glare

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

I have a HJC FS10 model full face helmet with a built-in sun shield. It's pretty effective at neutralizing late afternoon / early evening sun glare.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

rlmitchell
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by rlmitchell »

I'm hoping to avoid the full-face helmet, but I'm really starting to think it's my windshield. Guess nobody else has had the problem :(

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

No, Ive had the problem also. I take a break.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#5 Unread post by dirt dobber »

well here is what i did, i had the same problem riding into the sun. i've got a mudular (flip up) clear shield, it has a retractible sun shield you know like sun glasses, But, i could not ride into the sun and see where i was going with out putting up my hand. so here what i did to correct the problem, i installed speed tint anti fog shield inside my clear shield. it has a sticky edge, kind of tricky getting it lined up with out getting glue on shield where you don't want it, it works. don't harm seeing at night or any time or any kind of weather. i bought mine at Cycle Gear for 13.99. some motorcycle dealers has it.....ANTI-GLARE ANTI-FOG TINTED VISOR INSERT. it's a strip 1-1/2 inch wide. works like a tinted windshield in your car. .....i'll post (pic) in photo gallery, after i reduce it.

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#6 Unread post by zeligman »

dirt dobber wrote:well here is what i did, i had the same problem riding into the sun. i've got a mudular (flip up) clear shield, it has a retractible sun shield you know like sun glasses, But, i could not ride into the sun and see where i was going with out putting up my hand. so here what i did to correct the problem, i installed speed tint anti fog shield inside my clear shield. it has a sticky edge, kind of tricky getting it lined up with out getting glue on shield where you don't want it, it works. don't harm seeing at night or any time or any kind of weather. i bought mine at Cycle Gear for 13.99. some motorcycle dealers has it.....ANTI-GLARE ANTI-FOG TINTED VISOR INSERT. it's a strip 1-1/2 inch wide. works like a tinted windshield in your car. .....i'll post (pic) in photo gallery, after i reduce it.

I did the same thing - mine was 'static' cling - but needed a dot of adhesive on each end. any auto store has them - they come in rolls and you can cut to size. if the sun is coming THRU your windshield .. you can try putting it on the inside top edge of the windshield too...
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

rlmitchell
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by rlmitchell »

I'm going to give your advice a try regarding the tint. I think I might also try going without the windshield (since it looks kind of goofy anyway).

Thanks all!

Rhonda

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#8 Unread post by dirt dobber »

here is what happins when you don' have a winshield.
Attachments
here is what happins when you don't have a winshield.
here is what happins when you don't have a winshield.
tb_15O8M3VLk.jpg (34.02 KiB) Viewed 23801 times

rlmitchell
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by rlmitchell »

Yuck!!!

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#10 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Hell of an old post, but I thought I'd toss a couple cents in on it...
There's a road I take on my way to work, just a couple hundred yards long, but it's at a certain angle and direction that, for a couple of weeks of the year between 5:40 and 5:50, the sun glare traveling down it is BLINDING. Any other time of year or any other time of day it's fine, but for those ten or fifteen minutes it's impossible.

So I just leave a little earlier or a little later and avoid the problem altogether. Sun shields and visors and tinted windshields can help mitigate the problem or get you through a tight moment, but I think JohnJ's advice was best -- just take a break. Wait fifteen minutes, and all the angles will be different. And that's why we schedule our trips with some leway, right?