What kind of motorcycle would be my best bet??

Kaymarie323
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None yet

What kind of motorcycle would be my best bet??

#1 Unread post by Kaymarie323 »

Background info:

I am a young woman who will soon be celebrating my 21st birthday.
I weigh between 110 and 120. 5'7"
Fairly strong for my size.

I plan on moving to Bolivia, South America within the next year or so. My boyfriend is already there getting things situated for us and going to school himself. This is where he is from originally, but he has lived in America going on 13 years, so it's an adjustment. Well they sometimes have road blocks in protest from the indigenous people in the area, and when that happens, the only way to get around is bikes, motorcycles, and walking. All major roads are paved, but during these blocks, it's easiest to use back roads, which are dirt. For that reason, I am looking at a dual purpose bike.

I went to a dealership and the best they had to fit my needs was the Yamaha tw200, which I really liked. But I'm reading online it's not very good for highway use,which is a problem with where I live now, because I am in a small town that is basically nothing but an 8 mile stretch of highway, a good 30 mins from a military base city to the north of me (where I go to school and work currently), and a larger city to the south (speed limit here is 55 but people drive any where from 45 to 80 mph).

Can you guys help me out? I'm looking into taking my safety courses, seeing as I'm pretty sure they are required in north Carolina, although I would seriously never get on a bike without them to begin with. I will have to buy a bike new, because of importing laws for Bolivia, so I need something not TOO expensive. Under 7 k is ideal. The farther under, the better.

And BMW is out of the question simply because finding parts in south America would be impossible if something breaks.

And also, If there are any books you would recommend I pick up on taking care of that bike, seeing as I will probably be the only one repairing it?

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: What kind of motorcycle would be my best bet??

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

The other small Yamaha dual sport, the XT250, might suit you better. It will probably do 70 mph (although it will be happier if you don't make it cruise at that speed).
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Kaymarie323
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None yet

#3 Unread post by Kaymarie323 »

I think I saw that one, I will give it another look again :) thanks. Would it do well cruising at 60 mph?

010hnoor
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: honda

#4 Unread post by 010hnoor »

I'm reading online it's not very good for highway use,which is a problem with where I live now, because I am in a small town that is basically nothing but an 8 mile stretch of highway, a good 30 mins from a military base city to the north of me (where I go to school and work currently), and a larger city to the south (speed limit here is 55 but people drive any where from 45 to 80 mph).