Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I want to motorcycle ...

#1 Unread post by Hanson »

I want to motorcycle and I have questions.

A few years ago, I believe it was 1981, I had a motorcycle for about a year and a half. It was a late seventies two cylinder Honda 400 but I don't recall the model, just a typical Japanese bike. I purchased it for $400 and I rode it around town and to university and eventually I sold it for $400. I am still amazed that I survived the experience considering just how stupid I was, many would argue that nothing has changed with regards to my faculties as evidenced by my desire to ride again. I can clearly remember having had a strong desire for a more powerful motorcycle, in the midsized range, as my generic Honda 400 was rather slow, but I was saved from this imbecility by the great advantage of poverty, having no capacity to afford a larger bike.

This time I will take a motorcycle safety class, it is required in Texas.

This time I will purchase a helmet, and protective clothing, ATGATT.

This time I will get a motorcycle endorsement on my drivers license, I actually already have a drivers license which puts me ahead of the game.

No more drinking, hand cuffs, smoking rx, speeding tickets, riding in ice storms, ... it is all a bit of a haze, but never again. I promise, cross my heart, I will never make any of those mistakes again, at least not the ones I can remember.

Q1: How does the performance of a late seventies two cylinder Honda 400 compare with a modern fuel injected 250?

My goals, in descending order of importance, for a first motorcycle are; survival, skills acquisition, commuting to work on surface roads, and weekend trips that include highway travel.

I would like to purchase a used motorcycle that is somewhat more capable than my old Honda 400, but not excessively so. I understand that "excessively so" is qualitative, rather than quantitative, so I would say somewhere between 50% and 75% more powerful than my old Honda 400. I have a belief, perhaps overly optimistic, that I am modestly more mature than I was in my greener years and I am certainly more concerned about my own mortality than I was the last time I sat on a motorcycle. If that is not sufficient, I am most certain that my dear wife will promptly revoke my kitchen pass if I start to exhibit any irrational or hazardous motorcycle related behaviors.

Q2: There are very few "standard" motorcycle options in the smaller displacements at this time, at least in comparison to "cruisers", but I think some of the sport type motorcycles offer a similar riding position and handling characteristics to an older standard bike. Is this true? Are bikes like the Ninja 300 the new "standards"?

I am looking for options to research.

I am a big man, 6'2" and 240lb, and although I am not at all concerned about vanity, my knees are getting rather old. I want a bike that fits. From an aesthetics standpoint, I don't care much for cruisers or sports-bikes. I like standards, sport touring motorcycles, and adventure bikes.

Q3: I am interested in doing a lot of parking lot skills practice, not to the extent of the moto-gymkhana fanatics, but I would like a bike that I can drop without being scared for the paint. Can you put crash bars on a sports bike like a Ninja 650?

Thanks for the help,
Richard

Also, I read blues2cruise's blog, all of it, and I would like to thank her for sharing her experiences.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: I want to motorcycle ...

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

First, welcome back to riding and to the Total Motorcycle Community! We are a really friendly bunch of riders on here. :D

For Q1: I had a 1980 Honda CB400T (twin) and the Ninja 250R (I believe it was a 2000 model) was just a tad more powerful in the top end but mostly even. If you are looking for a bike with a little more power but "old school" looks, the Ninja 500R or GS500E or F would work as they would offer 30% more power for sure.

Q2.. See Q1 a little bit. Yes, welcome to the "new world" where standards are either sporty bikes or cruisers, yes, i know, it sucks when you want a mid-sized UJM today. I just test rode a 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (750cc but just 50hp as it's a transverse V-Twin) and that might be just what you are looking for, exactly. Take one for a spin. Plus it has the really high quality name.

Q3: My wife has the Ninja 650R, a really good bike, today they would call it an entry level bike, but it's got really good power and I would consider the naked ER-6n version as it has less plastic to break. Yes, you can frame sliders (as far as I am aware) to the 650R.

Isn't Blue's awesome?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

I'd second what Mike said, all of it.

I will add, Kawasaki is coming out with the Ninja 300 for 2013, so if buying new is an option, take a good long hard look at that. Fuel injected, ABS, and a 300 cc parallel twin makes it a fantastic bike.

Also Mike is definitely right on the Ninja 650 and the ER-6N. They do make frame sliders for them, so that's no problem, and seeing as I'm the same height as you but bigger around, I can tell you that they are very comfortable to ride!

List of bikes to check out:
CBR250R (thumper but FI)
Ninja 250 (twin but carbed)
Ninja 300 (twin and FI)
Ninja 650, Versys, or ER-6N (twin and FI)
SV650 (first gen is carbed, 03+ is FI)
GS500F or E (twin carbed air cooled)
Ninja 500 (twin carbed)

If you liked the look of your CB400T, I'd also check out the Suzuki TU250X. Fuel injected air cooled single with the UJM look to it.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

I'm surprised that no one has suggested the DR400SM from Suzuki...it would be a great re-entry bike...more power than your '81 Honda, but not enough to catch you out...high seat to accommodate your 6'2" frame...and being of dirt bike decent...drop it a hundred times and it would only look tougher...provided you don't mind the minimalist looks to begin with...

They will do hiway speeds without any problem, they're efficient and durable...time tested!!

Stay naked my friend...hehehe

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#5 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Yes, you can frame sliders (as far as I am aware) to the 650R.
Yep, R&G makes frame and bar end sliders for all years of the 650R.

+1 for it being a good beginner bike, I've been loving mine since I bought it new in 2006.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Hey...thanks for reading my blog. That must have taken quite a while.

Have you considered a 650 V-Strom?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wow, +1 to all those above! You can always count on the Total Motorcycle community to come through with help in aces. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#8 Unread post by sapaul »

First suggestion of mine would be the DL 650, would suit the bigger man and can take a lot of punishment. Crash bars ans aftermarket is easy to get for them too
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#9 Unread post by Wrider »

The only problem with the DR-Z is that for big guys it tends to cramp the knees a bit.
The DL is also a great bike, but is a bit taller than I would personally have been comfortable with for a first bike.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#10 Unread post by Hanson »

Incredible! Thanks for all the great information and suggestions. I have a lot of options to examine.

Mike,

I love the looks of the various Moto Guzzi V7 bikes, especially the Special. They remind my of the Triumph Bonneville T100 which I also like. Both have larger displacements then I was considering but it is becoming abundantly obvious that there is only a remote correlation between displacement and power when a Ducati 848 can crank out 140hp, more than twice the 67 hp of the 865 cc T100. This is why I was wanting an idea of how well a modern 250 starter bike compared in performance to my old Honda 400 and your response filled in a big gap in my understanding.

Wrider,

I read the entire thread about staying off of 600 super-bikes, and similar threads on other forums, and I have looked very hard at the 250 bikes and especially the new Ninja 300R with ABS and EFI. At this time, I am not going to exclude anything from my range of options. I want to take my motorcycle safety class and that experience might well show that one of these bikes will be executable. I have also read a lot about the Ninja 500R and 650R and they both look like good choices. When I first started looking, I did not want a sports bike, but as I have learned that many "sports bikes" provide good handling and an upright riding position, they are growing on me.

madjak30,

I read an entire thread on Moto-Gymkhana on the adventure riders forum and watched a huge number of videos, mostly in Japanese, which where amazing. Some of the top level competitors are riding DR400 bikes. I am going to ride one before I make any decision. I know my wife can tell when I was watching these people ride as she walks by from time to time and uses her hand to push my chin up so that I will not look like I have suffered an aneurysm. Susi; "Your watching those stupid Japanese policemen ride motorcycles again aren't you? Aren't you?". Me; "No Baby, just smut, just smut", as I guiltily switch tabs on the browser. In my own defense, the competitors with the pink numbers are women. The level of skill these riders have developed is at least an order of magnitude beyond anything I had previously thought to be possible but one video talked about top competitors dropping their bikes hundreds of times each year in practice. My old body, even if permanently encased in a fully articulated suit of protective high impact foam, is never going to take that kind of abuse. Reality trumps fantasy.

Ninja Geoff,

The 650R is high on my list. I think it is a bike I could ride for years.

blues2cruise,

It did take a lot of time to read your blog, I am sure not nearly as much time as it took you to live those adventures and to share them with this community. In some ways, I feel that I know you, but I know that you have no idea at all who I am, and this makes talking to you a bit uncomfortable, or maybe just a bit strange.

I am a happily married 50 year old man with two boys, 13 and 14, and a seven year old daughter that my dear Susi and I adopted just over a year ago. Miranda is Cambodian. I develop software for a geophysics firm and drive a Dodge Ram 3500 DRW diesel pickup, I know just how much you love pickups, which I use to pull the trailer for our Boy Scout Troop where I am an Assistant Scoutmaster. We fly rockets with DARS, run orienteering races with NTOA, and we like the shooting sports. We camp, hunt, backpack and hike and now we even do ballet. In all my years I never expected to be buying pink point shoes but Miranda loves to dance and I am almost completely powerless to deny her anything she desires even if this makes me something of a bad parent. My dear Susi runs a Christian preschool and is the director of Children's ministries for a local Methodist Church.

Now you know just a bit about the Hansons.

sapaul,

The DL650 / V-Strom is on my list and I like it. I really like the idea of working hard in a parking lot to develop my skills and a DL, with big crash bars along with ATGATT, might just work. The idea is to push hard enough that I will drop the bike from time to time, but only in a controlled environment. I want to expand by riding envelope as much as practical and then when I am on the street I will ride well within my limits. As suggested by madjak30, a Supermoto like the DR400SM might also be a great choice especially if I can find a local place to take some lessons on dirt, but I hate the looks of the DR.

TMW forum,

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my post. I now feel a lot more comfortable about the idea of purchasing something a bit larger than a 250. I will start with a helmet, gloves, boots, ATGATT, and a motorcycle safety course. When I get my endorsement I will try a lot of different bikes.

I have a hard choice as I could either spend quite a bit by financing a bike, or I could just pay cash for an older used bike. I am leaning towards cheep in which case my range of options are limited by availability. Right now, on Cycle Trader, there is a very low mileage 2001 Suzuki GS500 in Houston for only $2900 that is very tempting, but I know nothing about buying a used motorcycle. Either way, I am not buying a bike right now, not until after I take my safety class and get my endorsement. After that, I will have a more rational basis for making an informed decision.

In the very long run, I believe that I am going to want either a large sport touring motorcycle or a large adventure bike. I have no idea which as of yet, but it might be possible to do that in one step instead of two or three, depending on which way I decide to go. As an example, it might be practical to go from a V-Strom 650 directly to a R1200GT or a Super Tenere or from a Ninja 650R directly to an ST1300 or R1200RT or even a K1600GT. I love the idea of long trips and motorcycle camping. However, it might be safer to be a bit more incremental and ride a larger midsized bike as part of my learning curve. I clearly lack the experience and judgment to make a good decision at this time, but in about 5 years I would like to be on a big bike and on the road as both my boys will be at university and I will have some time for more selfish pursuits.

Thanks for the gift of your collective wisdom and experience,
Richard
Last edited by Hanson on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage