Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: nothing

New Rider Trying To Do It Right

#1 Unread post by UteIrv »

Hi Everyone,
I'm a noob to Motorcycling but have always enjoyed the idea of motorcycling. For the past 6 months I've been reading as many books and forums on motorcycling to get a general idea on what is the safest and practical way to begin. So without any prior motorcycling experience or manual transmission driving experience I signed up for the MSF course in my area. I can honestly say that it was a great experience but was also challenging as well. I was able to pass the course and am ready to hit the parking lot :)
I want to thank everyone that has contributed to this board that helped me get ready mentally for what I was going to embark on. I recently purchased a helmet, riding gloves and a jacket and will soon be purchasing pants but my carharts and work boots will cover the rest for now. I now am ready to purchase my first bike and want your advice on a couple bikes that I am interested in purchasing. I'm 6'2 and 245lbs and will mostly be using it for street driving, nothing more than 45mph to and from work (20 miles roundtrip)during the riding season. I found a couple bikes here that I'm not too familiar with but thought I'd get your guys and gals input. Specifically wondering if the VT Ascot, Radian 600, GL 500, Hawke 400? or Seca 400 are too much bike for a beginner like myself. Thanks again for your input.

Make Model
Honda Nighthawk
Honda vt Ascot
Honda CM400E
Yamaha XJ 550
Yamaha 250 Exciter
Yamaha Seca 400
Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
Honda XL 250
Honda CM400T
Yamaha YX600 Radian
Honda Silverwing GL 500
Honda Hawke 400

DublStuff
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: '09 VStar 1300 & '07 Suzuki S83

Re: New Rider Trying To Do It Right

#2 Unread post by DublStuff »

Hey Congrats on taking the MSF course. The best bike to learn on is the one that you are most comfortable on. I would say stay under 750-900 cc. I remember when I was taking the MSF course, this guy was saying that he picked up his 883 yesterday and I was like WHAT!, R U NUTS!? I started on a Honda CH150 Dulxe (150cc scooter).

Today, an 883 is small to me. But if you gave me one, I'd take it...blue please. Point is,
back then I probably was not mentally ready for an 883. So where are you mentally?
After I sold my CH150 I bought a Suzuki C50 (800cc cruiser) and dropped it twice, sold it and thought "what was I thinking?, I don't need a MC." Since then I've had a Burgman 400 scooter, a V Star 1300 and an S83.

Probably best to buy something old and cheap. And ride it often. Get a year or 2 under your belt, while you save some money, then buy your dream bike.

Of your list...
Silver Wing
Nighthawk 250 or 650
Kawasaki 450-550 are good options. they all probably are, but I'm not that familiar with all of them.

Also add V Star 650 Classic or Custom...Custom may be a little lighter for a newb.
Honda Shadow 600, Suzuki S40/Savage to your list