NormH3
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Still Looking

Air cooled VS Water cooled

#1 Unread post by NormH3 »

I'm hoping to take the saftey course this year and purchase my first bike. I really like cruisers and have been looking at VSTARs and Shadows. Can anyone explain why Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki went to water cooled for their bikes while Yamaha remained air cooled? When I look at a water cooled bike, I just think of one more thing to go wrong...ie radiator leak while out on the open road. This might seem silly to some, but I'm curious of other peoples opinions.

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

Re: Air cooled VS Water cooled

#2 Unread post by gsJack »

NormH3 wrote:............................................I just think of one more thing to go wrong...ie radiator leak while out on the open road. This might seem silly to some, but I'm curious of other peoples opinions.
Doesn't seem silly to me I've put all of my 400k miles on six air cooled bikes.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Hi Norm, and welcome to the forum. I've owned both air and water cooled bikes. Each have their advantages and disadvantages.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#4 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Welcome to the forums Norm, and I'm glad to see another cruiser rider joining the ranks. (-:

While I don't pretend to know what motivates or directs the design team at Yamaha, my gut feeling is simply this -- where they want to compete with Harley-d, they build them like Harley-d builds them. Maybe that's unfair -- you could just as easily say that the cruiser line is where style matters most (read: directly translates into market share), and because of that they eschew the radiator and it's attendant hoses, pipes, and clamps simply because they're unlovely. Rest assured in this statement, though -- it's almost certainly the marketing department that keeps radiators off their cruisers, rather than the engineering department.

Clearly, Yamaha's engineers know the value of liquid cooling. You'll notice that the air-cooling stops with their traditional cruisers -- the VMAX, their entire line of sport and sport touring bikes, the Super Tenere and even their top of the line dual-sport, the WR250R, all sport liquid cooled powerplants. You don't find another air-cooled bike until you get to the XT250 and the TW200. Even their ATV line, from the Raptors and Grizzlies to the YZs, wear radiators, and it's in those areans I would expect to find air cooled machines because radiators are easy prey for trail debris. But no -- only in their cruiser segment does Yamaha rely on air cooling.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Liquid cooling has the disadvantage of possibly breaking down but...

Air cooling can overheat in traffic, produces less power per CC, and is inherently louder.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

I love the way air cooled engines look. :kicking:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#7 Unread post by storysunfolding »

HYPERR wrote:I love the way air cooled engines look. :kicking:
And that's why they make them folks, for old guys in places where it never gets warm enough to worry about overheating :thumbsup: :clapping: :jump:

The radiator issues I've had were few and far between.
  • 1.) Radiator cap needed to be replaced on my 1982 Yamaha XZ550 in 2006 because it didn't provide the right amount of resistance. $20 fix and only effected it when she was sitting still on a hot day.
  • 2.) Needed to replace a radiator after sliding for a few hundred feet then tumbling due to having my rear tire clipped on turn in at VIR
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#8 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

I once had to pull off the highway to wait for my ex-boyfriend's Harley to cool off after overheating during rush hour on I-64 in Hampton Roads. My liquid cooled Honda never gave me that problem. The cooling system has behaved itself remarkably well over the last 9 years and 75k miles.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

NormH3
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Still Looking

#9 Unread post by NormH3 »

Appreciate the insight. For whatever reason, i like the look without the radiator.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#10 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I now own a water cooled bike but I will always love air heads :mrgreen:
there aint nothin like it