I've just about decided on a bike...but what about gear?

Flat Knuckle
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Looking for my first bike

I've just about decided on a bike...but what about gear?

#1 Unread post by Flat Knuckle »

Apologies for what will be a somewhat long first post.

I'm a little tired of putting gas in my car, never mind that my boss got the catalytic convertor hacked off his van while it was parked at work. To that end, if I only carry a lunch-pail to work, I figure it makes some sense to commute by bike. Though I've pretty well decided on a bike, I'd still be open to opinions. First, though, a little bit about me:
    Height: 6'2" (188 cm)
    Weight: 175 lbs (79.5 Kg, if I did the conversion correctly)
    Previous riding experience: None whatsoever (I do plan on taking a new rider course, even though California doesn't mandate it for me)
There are some characteristics I'd like in my first mount, too:
  • 70-80 miles per gallon combined would be ideal, but nothing lower than 60 MPG combined
    Legal to ride on, and with enough power for, the freeway (if ever my commute makes freeway driving a necessity)
    Simple enough that I can do most, if not all, maintenance myself
    Reliable
    A riding position that lets me keep my back upright
    Low enough that I can flat-foot it (almost never a problem for me)
I'm looking primarily at 250cc bikes, despite the guy at the BMW dealer believing that a 500cc Royal Enfield would be ideal. (It's a cool bike, but I think it could be a little much...I'm preparing to buy my first bike, not my last!) I've all but ruled out every sportbike on the face of the planet, as I don't want to lean forward, and I'm not a big sportbike fan, anyway. I'm not seriously considering dual-purpose bikes because the one I sat on was so tall I couldn't flat-foot it. Therefore, I've been gravitating toward small cruisers. I'm most seriously considering the Virago/Star 250, but, as I stated before, I'm welcome to other options as far as criusers and standard bikes go. I'm not necessarily against a project bike, but I'd prefer to buy it and ride it right away.

I think I've done pretty well with the bike, but what about protective gear? My biggest question about protective gear is quality; I'd really like to purchase a helmet, jacket, gloves, and knee guards that are USA-made, if possible. I wear steel-toed boots to work, so I don't think there should be any issues in that department. The jacket and helmet would also need to be well-suited to a hot area, as it gets very hot where I live. Finally, DOD policy specifies that anyone who rides a motorcycle on a military installation must wear a safety vest. Though I thought that was silly when I was on active duty, I now think it's actually a pretty good idea.

Thanks in advance to all who reply...looking forward to reading them!

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: I've just about decided on a bike...but what about gear?

#2 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

An Enfield is a fine starter bike as well as a blast or an ex500, The thing these machines allow you to do is grow the 250 is a fine starter bike but... Here it comes your a pretty big guy and that machine will not have highway or passing power. Puddle jumping it'll work but believe me you will boar quickly of in town traffic and commuting.
As far as gear goes well Joe Rocket or Bilt make great mesh gear with padding back protection and they wont break the bank. I always use this rule of thumb. What hits the ground first? a. Your hands feet and face. So GOOD Gloves GOOD BOOTS and a full face helmet.
I never dress for the ride I always dress for the crash cause the ride is gonna be great regardless :D
ATGATT
please note my avatar and notice I am not leaning forward, naked bikes give you great power,brakes and handling without giving up comfort or vision.
Best of luck in your endeavor.
Last edited by BRUMBEAR on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there aint nothin like it

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

A Royal Enfield would not be "too much". Traditionally they've had a bad rap for reliability issues, but the new C5 and G5 Classics with the UCE engine are supposed to be much better. Whether they're freeway capable is something that can be debated. I've chased one on the freeway going 65+, but I don't know how long it could have sustained that.

Basically, there's going to be a bit of tension between "70-80 mpg" and "freeway capable". Not impossible, but depends on your idea of freeway capable (power to spare at 80mph versus barely able to sustain 65mph).

If cruisers appeal to you, you might check out a Suzuki Boulevard S40 (older versions were called "Savage"). 650cc single, but not too much horsepower for a noob, and can keep up on a freeway if you thrash it. No idea what the mileage is.

Re: safety vests, I live near the Dix/Maguire/Lakehurst superbase in Jersey. Riders in high-viz vests are a daily sighting around here, so frequent that nobody thinks anything of it.

Re: gear, I hear you about US-made, but my recommendation to you as a noob is just get whatever fits, protects, feels good, and doesn't break the bank. By the time you meet all those criteria, you usually don't have a big range of choice, so don't let country of origin get in the way of getting geared up.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Flat Knuckle
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by Flat Knuckle »

BRUMBEAR wrote: ATGATT
please note my avatar and notice I am not leaning forward, naked bikes give you great power,brakes and handling without giving up comfort or vision.
I've heard ATGATT before, and I agree. I'll go with a full-face helmet, especially since California is a "helmets for everyone" state and I don't really want to eat some of the bugs that fly around here. I'll also consider the naked bikes, though the cruisers have more appeal to me.
jstark47 wrote:A Royal Enfield would not be "too much". Traditionally they've had a bad rap for reliability issues, but the new C5 and G5 Classics with the UCE engine are supposed to be much better. Whether they're freeway capable is something that can be debated. I've chased one on the freeway going 65+, but I don't know how long it could have sustained that.

Basically, there's going to be a bit of tension between "70-80 mpg" and "freeway capable". Not impossible, but depends on your idea of freeway capable (power to spare at 80mph versus barely able to sustain 65mph).

If cruisers appeal to you, you might check out a Suzuki Boulevard S40 (older versions were called "Savage"). 650cc single, but not too much horsepower for a noob, and can keep up on a freeway if you thrash it. No idea what the mileage is.

Re: safety vests, I live near the Dix/Maguire/Lakehurst superbase in Jersey. Riders in high-viz vests are a daily sighting around here, so frequent that nobody thinks anything of it.
Royal Enfields were kept out of California for a while due to emissions requirements, so all of ours might have the UCE engine; I'll have to look into that. As for freeway capable, if it can sustain 70 MPH without overheating or running too close to redline, it'll work for me. (I don't climb many hills, so my idea of freeway capable might be a bit lenient compared to others.') I've looked at the Boulevard S40, and while its MPG rating is toward the bottom of my target range, I might have to consider it more seriously. I live not too far from Lemoore Naval Air Station, yet I don't see many safety vests. Of course, California riders in particular have to ride like nobody can see them yet everyone is out to get them.

Thanks for your replies, gentlemen!

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

Just a small addition to jstark47's comments regarding gear...

Don't buy something you won't wear, sounds logical, but it is very common to see people make an expensive purchase of gear, only to have it hanging in their closet due to fit, lack of air flow or whatever... Comfort is king, right behind protection.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#6 Unread post by gsJack »

I started riding on a CB400T at age 52 and traded it in on a CB750K six months and 6k miles later, it just wasn't fast enough for freeways I thought. Truth of the matter is looking back I just didn't really know how to ride it yet. Now I've done my last 14 years and 175k miles on a couple of GS500s getting about 60 mpg overall, a little more summers and a little less winters, and consider it a go anywhere do anything bike. Did my last 400 mile interstate days at 75-80 mph indicated back in 04 at age 72 going to the Smoky Mtns to play. At your age you might want to consider a little more than a 250cc cruiser, if you really take to riding you'll soon want more bike. By the way, I'm a big guy too, was 6' 2'' and about 230# when I got the first GS500. If I get one more bike it'll probably be a 250cc sportbike but it's time I slow down and stick to the back roads.

You mentioned wanting an upright riding position and that's what I wanted too, on my four 80's standard type Hondas I referred to it as a cruiser slouch. I had both back trouble and butt trouble riding them on longer rides. Haven't had a bit of back trouble on the GS500 with a slightly lean forward riding position.

I rode with an open face helmet for years and in short pants and a short sleeve shirt summers until I started hanging around on the mc forums 10-15 years ago and got myself closer to ATGAT riding, full face helmet and armored jacket and boots at least, you can start out ATGAT.

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#7 Unread post by BobK »

I'd choose a CBR250 or a Ninja 250 or 300 before a Royal Enfield.

But you'll probably keep the riding gear a lot longer than you'll keep your first bike.

In hot weather, a good mesh jacket and riding pants will keep you cool, as long as you're moving. I like flip-up helmets. Once you get moving, flip it down and the airflow will keep you cool.

In the old days I used to ride in shorts and sneakers. 40 years later I still have the scars to prove it.

Flat Knuckle
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Flat Knuckle »

BobK wrote:But you'll probably keep the riding gear a lot longer than you'll keep your first bike.
Unless they no longer fit, that's exactly what I plan to do.

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#9 Unread post by BobK »

Unfortunately, my gear seems to keep shrinking. It must be from all that riding in the rain.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#10 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I'll go with that, however I think it may be do to the gravitational alterations brought on by BIG GULP and MickeyD abuse, I call it global increasing it's a new phenomenon. I am gonna petition the Government for a grant to study this :D
there aint nothin like it