Kinalyx
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: none

Help with bike decision

#1 Unread post by Kinalyx »

Let me stat off by saying I am a VERY inexperienced rider. I had a dirt bike when I was young, some 20 years ago, and haven't been on a bike since. I have wanted motorcycle for a while now, but never had the chance to go for it.

I am now starting my research, starting with what kind of bike is an option for me, then moving on to figuring out classes, gear, and purchasing a bike.

A little about myself, I am about 6'1" and around 350lbs, with a 28" inseam, so I am mostly torso. The wife said I have to lose about 50lbs before I can get a bike, which seems fair. Now, a bike that I have recently fallen in love with is the HD 883 Iron roadster. It has come to my attention that the bike would be way too small for me and I would look like a circus bear on a tricycle on the 883.

What bikes would you guys recommend for someone my size? I really tend to like the look of roadsters, and im not really a fan of the gold wing style(touring?).

Any recommendations? Im not worried about it having to be super cheap, but under $15k is an absolute must.

Shawn

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Re: Help with bike decision

#2 Unread post by dr_bar »

First off, welcome to TMW, you should check this out...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2983

And good luck with your search...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#3 Unread post by Thumper »

The only way to know if the bike would be too small is to go test sit. I really doubt it would be...my 6'2" son was able to ride my tiny Rebel with no issues at all, and the 883 is a whole lot bigger than that. If you're drawn to Harleys, look at the 1200s, too. My initial gut reaction for a beginner is to not get that big of a bike, but they're not terribly overpowered--the 1200 Sportsters are pretty tame--and I know several people who started on them and have done just fine.

I think the only drawback is that the Sportsters tend to be a bit top heavy...not something I would have wanted to deal with as a newbie. But you should be able to ride one; neither your height nor your weight should be an issue, and the 883 is not something you'll "outgrow." You could definitely keep it as a long term bike.

Kinalyx
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: none

#4 Unread post by Kinalyx »

thx for the info thumper. I will definitely be testing out bikes before purchase. When i was young & rode a dirtbike i never had any issues at all, never laid it down once, but it was also a small light dirt bike and i only rode on a small track in a field we had behind the house.

I will say that 1 thing im nervous about is that i know the wife will want to ride with me, and im seeing a 400lb weight limit on most bikes. is 500+lbs just out of the question on most bikes?

Also, found another bike im liking, and i think its a bit bigger than the 883, a Kawasaki Vulcan 900.

Again, the purchase is a ways off, probably a year or so. I still need my license and classes and whatnot, but im really looking forward to having a bike.

Also, is it true that pretty much everyone lays down a bike early on?

Shawn

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

First off, the Vulcan isn't as high centered as the 883 and is a great bike.

Secondly, I would definitely think hard before taking a passenger. Give yourself about a year of
riding, so that most skills start to become second nature.

Third, If you plan to fail, you will succeed. In other words, if you believe you will drop the bike, you
will. I'm not saying that if you believe you won't drop it you won't, but if you put yourself into a safe
mind set, it carries into your riding habits as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#6 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I heard that old saw about how everyone lays a bike down when they're first learning too.
Been riding street for two years now, more than 6,000 miles under my belt and still haven't laid a bike down. And I don't intend to. *knock on wood*

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#7 Unread post by Thumper »

Kinalyx wrote: I will say that 1 thing im nervous about is that i know the wife will want to ride with me, and im seeing a 400lb weight limit on most bikes. is 500+lbs just out of the question on most bikes?

Also, is it true that pretty much everyone lays down a bike early on?
Give yourself a whole lot of miles before you even think of taking on a passenger. When I started riding and was all excited about it, thinking about the Spouse Thingy occasionally riding with me, even the sales guy at the dealership told me to not do it until I had a good 6,000-10,000 miles under my belt.

The Vulcan is going to be a little better balanced (less top heavy) than the 883. A comparable bike that's even better balanced than that is the Suzuki C50 or the M50. The difference isn't much, but it was enough to sway my husband from the Vulcan to the C50. There are going to be weight limits...check the GRVW before you buy if you're sure you're going to have the same bike a year or two down the road, when you're ready for a passenger.

And no, not everyone drops or lays down their bike early on. I didn't until I'd been riding a couple of years, and then it was only because someone pulled out in front of me with very little time to brake...I wound up locking up the front and was launched off the bike. Going slow, maybe 25 when I locked it up, but it still hurt like crazy to hit the ground. Lots of riders never go down. Some seem to a few times a year. Approach your riding like every car out there is out to get you...but that you don't intend to drop, lay down, or collide. Confidence + caution...

The potential is why some riders recommend getting a used bike as your first. A drop in the driveway, a forgotten side stand while parking, those hurt less emotionally with a used bike. And a good, newby friendly used bike can often be sold for close to what you paid for it when you're ready to move up.

jacob_3
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: yamaha

#8 Unread post by jacob_3 »

Which is the best bike?

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#9 Unread post by sapaul »

My suggestion

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/buyersgu ... R1150R.htm

or a R12R if you can find in your price bracket.

The BMW is bigger than the 883 but very easy to ride and although very powerful is well behaved both a low and high speed. That bike is very nimble and robust, looks good and they go for ever.

give it a thought
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R