Kelly15
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2009 GSXR 750

Kawasaki Ninja 500r vs GSXR 750 My bike experience so far

#1 Unread post by Kelly15 »

The first bike that I owned was a Kawasaki Ninja 500r. I am so glad that I did not start on a smaller bike because it did not take long to get bored of this bike. I would say that it is more of a city than a hi-way bike. You can drive it on the hi-way but it is not ideal for this type of bike. Maybe the 650r is different. Good city bike though and a good bike to learn on nonetheless.

After 1 season of riding that bike I sold it and got a GSXR 750. What a difference. I absolutely love this bike. The way it handles, corners, accelerates, brakes, it has it all. I love how responsive the brakes and accelerator are. I actually feel a lot safer on this bike because it makes it easier to get out of any trouble that I feel around me. Like when someone wants to ride my "O Ring".

When riding a bike I find that not only do you have to be aware of what is going on around you, but also 2 block ahead of you and a block to either side of you. And also expect everyone to cut you off, slam on their brakes, change lanes at anytime, ect. That has made me always prepared for the worst to happen. And it has, but I was ready for it. Watch that person in the left lane for he will be making a right turn without signalling and cut you off. Amazing what some drivers do out there.

My favourite type of riding is hi-way and medium speed roads, on and off ramps, cloverleaf's, s bends. I love how my GSXR eats up the corners and the precise response of the bike it self. The oneness you feel with the bike is such a great feeling.

The difference between my Ninja and GSXR on the Hi-way was night and day. At 120kmph the GSXR feels super smooth like I am just cruising along. At 120kmph on my 500r you could really feel the vibrations of the motor and it was at a really high rpm. You punch the 500r at 120 and not much happens. Punch the GSXR at 120 and it is a whole different ballgame. When getting up to hi-way speed the GSXR will do 120 in first gear at the drop of the hat. The 500r will get to 120 fairly quick but it is three gears latter.

Anyways, if anyone wants to share there experience so far or what type of riding the like or what they have learned or what they have started on and are on now, I would love to hear it.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 500r vs GSXR 750 My bike experience so f

#2 Unread post by madjak30 »

I had quite a similar experience. I started on the Suzuki GS500, and it was a great first bike. I could do hiway and was awesome as a city/commuter, but the hiway wasn't it's forte. I rode that bike for my first season and within a month was wondering where the power was...but still quite glad I put in a whole season on the bike. I had a couple of close ones that if I was on a more powerful bike I would have gotten into trouble...panic accelleration on the 500 was good, but on a high power bike I probably would have gotten the wheel up & lost control...I still have to watch myself so that I don't over react and I've been on my powerful bike for two seasons now.

The first time I cracked open the throttle mid corner and the wheel lifted, it freaked me out...so the lower capability bike is much better for learning before you make the leap.

I'm glad you are enjoying the 750, it's a great second bike...but I wouldn't want to have to learn on a bike like that...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Kelly15
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Kelly15 »

The 500r was a good bike to learn on that is for sure. Still feel alot more safe on the 750 though for the reason mentioned above. What are you riding now?

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

2006 Yamaha MT-01

Not so much Hp @ 88, but tons of torque @ 111lbs/ft...running gear is R1 stuff, but engine is a tuned version of the Warrior cruiser along with the 5spd trans...I like it!

Later.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#5 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Torque is all ya need that's a fact!!! I was actually much faster on my 100hp xb12ss Buell than my 1125CR with right now about 150 or better with the tune and can that I have on it. I found in the straights the RR bikes 6 and liter class would eat up the little xb but the corner speed I could carry and the power out of a turn were WAY faster than the I4 motors could. The 1125 ahh I just can't find the sweet spot on the CR. Some days I am on it others not so much. But it is nice knowing with great torque and good brakes and a short wheel base I can not outride my bike :mrgreen: Now talk about the cross plane Yamaha and it's all out the window ME LIKEY!!!!!!!!!!!
there aint nothin like it

Kelly15
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by Kelly15 »

That is a beautiful bike you got there. Lots of Torque is a very good thing.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by madjak30 »

Where are you from Kelly? I assume Canadian, since you reference kph in your post...

Kelly15
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Kelly15 »

Regina , Sask. Yourself? Are you able to ride yet? We still have a ton of snow and it has been hovering around zero for the last few weeks. Looking forward to getting the bike out, whenever that may be.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#9 Unread post by madjak30 »

Sylvan Lake, AB. It keeps snowing, but it doesn't stick to the ground. I'm up in Ft Mac working, so I still haven't started the bike this season...but hopefully that will change this coming weekend when I'm home!

Later.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#10 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Kelly15 wrote: Still feel alot more safe on the 750 though for the reason mentioned above.
I'm not seeing your reasons for feeling more safe on teh 750.

I'm glad I started small before hitting a larger bike. zx6 before my r1 before my RC51 before my S1000RR. If I hopped onto the BMW before all that training it wouldn't have been the same. Loved the S1000RR before I got wind of the redesign and sold mine before the price tanked.

Now we're getting ready to buy a house with a baby on the way so I'm limited to two street/track bikes and the Strom and XS850 w/sidecar get me through.

Miss dragging an elbow though.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars