pyronano
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: monsrer 695

helmet when your out

#1 Unread post by pyronano »

Im from ohio where helmets are optional. Im new to biking so going with out a helmet is probably a bad plan but im not trying to carry it around when i go out at night. So what do you guys do with your helmets when you hit the bar or any night life?

PS this is not a thread about drinking please keep on topic since it seams like its one that hasent been talked about
Last edited by pyronano on Sun May 05, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: helmet?

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

I carry my helmet, but then I don't go to bars on my bike. 8)
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#3 Unread post by gsJack »

You are required to have a M endorsement in Ohio to ride like in most states. After passing your rider test for the M endorsement you get a license marked Novice and you are required to wear a helmet for the first year unless they've changed it recently. After that you can ride without a helmet. Leave the helmet and the bike home when you go to the bar.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#4 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Hey just cause the guy is going to a bar don't mean he is getting lit up but I get the advice and it's sound. Going without a helmet IMO is just not a wise choice. So get a helmet lock and pop it on your bike. I have seen enough crashes in the years I have been riding to know a couple things at the minimum helmet, gloves, boots, long pants otherwise a simple 10mph crash could lead to a long hospital stay real easily at the least hours of scrubbing dirt and rock out of road rash.
there aint nothin like it

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I attach my topcase to my rear rack, then store my helmet, gloves, and other carp in there once I get to where I'm going.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#6 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Yeah, seems pretty straight-forward. Get an aftermarket helmet lock. You can even buy a length of braided steel cable and a padlock for an inexpensive alternative.

But, if I may read between the lines a bit, I'm sensing your issue has more to do with than just the helmet. All motorcycle gear can be a PITA once you get where you're going -- textile jackets, long pants and gloves aren't conducive to social gathering places on warm summer nights any more than the bucket is. To this end, I recommend you look into convertible jackets, on which the sleeves can be zippered off to leave you with just a vest, and either equally convertible pants or chaps. This still leaves you with some articles that would be inconvenient to lug around in a club, but even the most modest soft tail or tank bag could stow such items easily without detracting too much from your bike's curb appeal. If even these are too much of a compromise to your sense of style, though, I recommend you forgo the problem altogether and leave the bike at home.

And obviously, if you intend to drink, take a cab or find a DD. (-:

pyronano
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: monsrer 695

#7 Unread post by pyronano »

Ha heý thanks guys i guess i should clarify i go out to meet girls not to get drunk and i almost never drink more than one beer since i quit smoking. So what is a helmet lock and are there different kinds i should check out

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#8 Unread post by jstark47 »

There are all different kinds. Do an image search in Google for "motorcycle helmet lock" and you'll see. Some can be mounted on the bike's frame, or on the handlebars. My wife has a kind that is integrated with the license plate holder - holds the plate and has two helmet locks built in.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#9 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

And, just to clarify, if you're going to drink at all, don't take the bike.

A Ducati Monster isn't a four-door sedan -- one beer in you on that bike is like four beers in you driving a car. Please, don't risk it.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#10 Unread post by dr_bar »

Jackofthegreen is correct, on two wheels, I don't care how much you drink, it's not worth losing 1 ounce of attention, concentration, or inhibition. Some may say otherwise, but it's your life that's at risk, not theirs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"