Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Shadow Aero

New to forum with a question

#1 Unread post by taxman1965 »

Hi,

My wife and I started riding last year---at 49 and 47 respectively. We both took the MSF beginners course last June and we have been riding since. I ride a Honda CRF230L and my wife rides a Suzuki GZ250---both great little commuter bikes and we really enjoy riding them, but we're thinking about stepping up to a bike that we can take on the highway. Obviously, our bikes will do a short trip, but they're not really suited for interstates or longer trips.

Our local dealership has a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750 that they're willing to sell to us for $4250. I looked at the bike---it's in very nice shape with only 4000 or so miles on it. Would this bike ride 2 comfortably? It does not have a back rest on it, but I would install one for my wife. I really would like a 500-600cc, but unfortunately, Honda doesn't make the smaller Shadows anymore--and I'm a diehard Honda guy, so another brand is out of the question. His asking price seems to be in the ballpark, according to Kelley blue book. Will the 750 have ample power on a highway ride for 2 people and does it handle well for someone who is still a beginner like myself?

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: New to forum with a question

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Welcome to TMW Scott! We're glad to have you.

My wife and I have ridden 2Up on a Shadow ACE 750, on the interstate, and we were able to get up to 75 mph although there wasn't much left from there. It wasn't comfortable, but it was possible. I will say that together we exceeded the manufacturers recommended weight limit on the ACE by an appreciable degree, so take that into consideration. I can't find numbers for the '06, but the '07 Shadow Aero had a published weight limit of 401 pounds - that includes riders, gear, and any installed accessories (windshield, sissy bar, etc). I have to assume the '06 would be about the same.

Weight limits aside, it's been our experience that both her Shadow 750 and my Vulcan 800 don't quite have the oomph for comfortable, confident 2Up freeway riding. If you intend to do anything long-distance, my recommendation is to step up to an 1100cc.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#3 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

for 4250 you could probably do much better. The motor size is not as big an issue as people think. The big cc criusers are usually very tame with oodles of torque. I'd look for a Triumph trophy or Kawasaki concourse even an FJ Yamaha
there aint nothin like it

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

I agree with Brumbear and Jack. I'd definitely look around for a better deal and get something a bit bigger. A 1100 would suit you perfectly IMO.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

taxman1965
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by taxman1965 »

Seems like an 1100 would be a bit large for a couple of beginners, doesn't it? I'm not sure I can handle something that large---especially after riding a dual-sport 230 live I've been riding! :shock:

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#6 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

No way not at all. The big CC motors are tame as a lamb much easier to use than say an inline 4 600cc go test ride one they are beautifully balanced so weight is hardly even noticed.
there aint nothin like it

taxman1965
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by taxman1965 »

BRUMBEAR wrote:for 4250 you could probably do much better. The motor size is not as big an issue as people think. The big cc criusers are usually very tame with oodles of torque. I'd look for a Triumph trophy or Kawasaki concourse even an FJ Yamaha
Our local dealer has a 1999 Kawasaki Concours for sale with 37,000 miles. Wants $2995 for it. Is it worth it for that year and is 37,000 a lot of miles for a bike like that?

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#8 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

An 1100cc sport bike would certainly be too much motor for a beginner, but an 1100cc cruiser really isn't the snorting monster it sounds like. Not for someone with almost a solid year of riding experience, anyway. If we were talking about you and your wife both getting your own highway-capable bikes, I'd tell you to keep it sub-liter and happy trails. A 750cc is plenty of bike for single-rider freeway touring and will rarely leave you wanting for power. But riding 2Up is a whole different animal. Unless the two of you are fairly trim people, a 750cc just isn't going to have the passing power and acceleration you need to really feel confident on the freeway. And believe me, you don't want to be in the buffet zone of a lumbering 18-wheeler when you realize you've got no throttle left.

But ultimately, only you know the details of your situation well enough to make the call. Maybe the thing to do is find a less-expensive 750cc to learn 2Up riding on, then upgrade to something larger once you're comfortable. I know in my area there are plently of late 90s to early naughties Honda cruisers (ACEs, Shadows, and Spirits mostly) at about the $2500 price point to be had in our local classifieds. Or, maybe, sell the two sewing machines and bring your spending limit up high enough to buy two 750s. :D

Whatever you decide, keep us posted.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#9 Unread post by Johnj »

A 99 Concours is a 997cc, 6 speed, water cooled, in-line 4 cylinder, sport-touring bike. They are known for long riding. I'd have to see said bike to know what the value is (are there any farkles) but I bought a 99 three years ago with 37k on it for $2500. What does Kelly Blue Book say?

In the Kansas City Metro it says $1510 wholesale, $2250 retail
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

taxman1965
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by taxman1965 »

Johnj wrote:A 99 Concours is a 997cc, 6 speed, water cooled, in-line 4 cylinder, sport-touring bike. They are known for long riding. I'd have to see said bike to know what the value is (are there any farkles) but I bought a 99 three years ago with 37k on it for $2500. What does Kelly Blue Book say?

In the Kansas City Metro it says $1510 wholesale, $2250 retail
He's high based on Kelley Blue Book. They say $2255---but 37,000 is low for that year according to their charts. They expect a 2004 model to have 41,050 miles, so the mileage on that 1999 is low.