momule
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650

Re: Deer

#11 Unread post by momule »

I hit a good sized dog one time on a Yamaha 650 Special that I used to have. I caught the poor thing on the head with my right fork end and the owner had to put him down. Poor thing died an awful death with his head split open. I was out in the country going about 45mph and he just ran out in front of me. The bike never even wavered and was not damaged. The stability of a bike at speed is stronger than one would suspect.

I've had several close calls with deer and have killed several with my truck but have never hit one on my bike. They are substantially larger than a dog of course and if they jump they can take your head off. I always try to stay off the road here in Missouri during dusk and dawn and if it's impossible to avoid I halve my speed and scan the side of the woods as I go. The darn things always travel in groups of 2 or 3 so if you see one in the road it's immediately time to slow down.

Madjack30 - if that had been me going between two deer on the road my "O Ring" would still be puckered. You DID get lucky.

oh yea, and deer whistles DO NOT WORK....
"ONE DAY AT A TIME"