Jesse_James
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki Boulevard S50 VS800

Re: Passed my test!!!!!! Now what??

#11 Unread post by Jesse_James »

Thanks everyone, I have been right out on the road with my motorcycle after the course and also going to work. There isn't too much traffic where I live. I had my bike up to a top of 70mph so far. Two things that need to be addressed. First is it ok to use the downshifting power of the transmission to come to a planed stop or is that hard on the transmission? I always thought it would save the brake pads. Also I have put about 200 miles so far and have been putting gas in around 80 miles. I don't quite understand when the fuel valve should be turned to reserve.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#12 Unread post by Johnj »

Yea, it's ok to downshift to help you slow down. I do it all the time.
How much gas do you put in the tank when you fill it up? Try to go one hundred miles next time.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#13 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Downshifting is good technique as long as you aren't slipping the clutch to do it. Do try to be as smooth as you can be.

But be aware that brake pads are cheap and easy to change compared to clutches and transmission parts.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#14 Unread post by blues2cruise »

When your bike starts sputtering you will know it's time to turn on reserve. :mrgreen: Also...after you have your bike on reserve, make sure you turn the valve back to normal when you refuel....or your bike will be sputtering again soon. DAMHIK. :laughing:

#1 Keep your eyes moving. Don't get a fixed stare.
#2 Where you look is where you go. When you go around a corner, don't look at the curb....Look where you want to go.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#15 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Take it easy. Riders coming out of the MSF tend to be fairly safe for their first few months but then the probability of crashes goes up at month 6. Then they level out until you upgrade to your new bike (old habits on new likely more powerful bike is bad news).

I can't stress practicing enough. Check out the exercises at the end of this book http://msf-usa.org/downloads/Street_Mot ... s_2010.pdf

Once those are easy, play with the cones to make it harder and challenge yourself. Once that's easy pick up a few police or gymkhana exercises to give a bigger challenge to yourself.

As to using the clutch to slow down, not a big problem- it's just not as smooth an effective as using your brakes. Like GS said- those are cheaper and easier to replace than a clutch. It's really only good for sounding cool (debatable). However, it also doesn't illuminate your brake lights which means its harder for cars to know how fast you are going.

Then make every ride a lesson. You should be learning something new on each ride. Make your throttle control smoother, your turn ins better, work towards zero mid corner corrections, pick up experience experience, develop the ability to predict hazards better etc

Also post up your location in your profile.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars