Jesse_James
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki Boulevard S50 VS800

Passed my test!!!!!! Now what??

#1 Unread post by Jesse_James »

I am a happy person today. As I passed my motorcycle license test by going though the motorcycle saftey course. I've been on the road for about 100miles so far. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to get used to? what to watch out for? I am a first time rider/morotcycle owner.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Passed my test!!!!!! Now what??

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Practice, practice, practice.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#3 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

and then practice some more. But don't forget to enjoy the practice, best of luck to you!! I hope you get to ride and enjoy it for a long long time.
there aint nothin like it

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#4 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

(first reply try disappeared) Trying again-
Practice a LOT on roads and parking lots with little traffic. Practice everything the MSF taught - especially hard stops and countersteering. Practice slow riding, practice swerving. Find a large paved circle and do circles in both directions at higher speeds to develop trust in yoru tires. Stay out of heavy traffic until riding the bike is nearly instinctive. You need the mechanics of the bike to be almost automatic so that you can be looking up and out ahead developing your powers of ESP so that you know what the other drivers will do even before they do.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#5 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

Practice, like everyone else said, to know thy machine. Get to know it as though it's an extension of yourself. If you have some open spaces to work with, I also suggest finding out how fast your bike can accelerate. That's just as important as knowing how fast you can stop.

Developing that 6th sense is definitely important :) When I ride, I assume that everything on the road is actively out to kill me. This level of hyper-awareness is exhausting, at first, but keep at it. Eventually, it will come to you without effort.

Seeing all and knowing your machine combine to produce instant, instinctual reactions to situations. It's pretty awesome when it all comes together.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#6 Unread post by dirt dobber »

check your tire air pressure before every ride. i checked mine, it was on 40 (rear) every time so i just quit checking started noticing rear was cupping left me??? it set for over a wk. i got on it to back out it didn't want to move. make this short i just run the air out. nothing wrong with the tire.
watch out pulling out from a road into another i almost spung out in turns. (too much gas). especiality if tread is low. ride to the left, stay out of right rut. left lane when you can (4lane).

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#7 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

dirt dobber wrote: watch out pulling out from a road into another i almost spung out in turns. (too much gas). especiality if tread is low. ride to the left, stay out of right rut. left lane when you can (4lane).
I'd simplify this to - don't accelerate (much) until the bike is upright. Especially in situations where you are pulling out from a stop. (oh, and beware painted lines, sand, oil spills, and the oily strip in the middle of the lane at stoplights)
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#8 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

Yeah. That line paint is slippery even when dry.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#9 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Hmmm, resist the temptation to join a group ride, even a small one. Too much pressure to try to ride faster/impress them/keep up (even if they're really nice and accommodating enough to go at your pace). Best to get to know your bike on your own, IMHO.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#10 Unread post by dr_bar »

Talking about that "6th sense" ...

When you ride in traffic, you obviously watch other vehicles, cars, trucks, buses, and other bikes. But just what do you see besides a big chunk of metal and plastic going down the road? Look at each vehicle as you get closer. Does it look like the driver is on their cell phone? Can you guesstimate their age? Is the driver alone or with someone else? Is the driver continually checking the mirror on your side?

All these and more, are the little clues that help you manage traffic. It takes mere seconds to check these things, so it's not like your spending your whole ride examining every car and driver out there. People alone in a car are usually, but not always, more attentive than when there's a passenger to distract them. Checking their mirrors is a good sign they want to change lanes, don't rely on turn signals, most drivers in this area usually signal their turn or the fact they just made one if they signal at all. As you know, turn signals are meant to be used in "advance" of a turn, let me know how many of those you see on the average day... Young drivers and really old drivers throw up a flag in my mind. Parked cars are another thing all together, never ride right alongside parked cars if possible. Stay in the left position of the driving lane when there are parked cars, (assuming you drive on the right side of the road.)

So you see, it's not just being aware of the vehicle that helps keep you safe, but all aspects of that vehicle. Buses are another matter altogether. In BC where I live, buses have the right of way when pulling out of a bus stop, the drivers believe they have the right of way where ever they happen to be. They change lanes on a whim expecting you and other drivers to dodge their mammoth vehicles, all the while believing they are in the right....

So get out there and practice, but practice ALL the skills you need to survive, and when you're driving your own car, become more aware of those other drivers, practice the 6th sense. Last but not least, the day you think you know everything there is to know about riding a motorcycle, that's the day you should hang up your keys for good. I've been riding since the early 1970's, and I still learn new things when I'm on the bike. I firmly believe that every single time I ride, it's a learning experience.

Sorry for the novel...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"