Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None

New rider looking for a bike!

#1 Unread post by TrashVamp »

Hello,
I am pretty new to motorcycles. I've only really ridden dirt bikes and 3 wheelers as a kid so, my knowledge is pretty much null.

I would like to buy a bike soon (Just in time for winter!)and was originally eyeballing the Honda Rebel, as I really dig the classic look, but wasn't too happy that the top speed was around 50mph. :/
From browsing various forums it seams the general consensus for beginners is to start with something with a lower CC. Bikes that seem most recommended are; the Suzuki S40 or, TU250X, the Honda CM 400 and, the Yamaha Virago/V-Star 250.
I would mostly be using this bike for city riding(Philadelphia) which 50mph is enough for that but, I WOULD like something that would do at least a little better than 50mph on the freeway. I don't PLAN on too much freeway driving but, would like to have the option available so I can visit reading from time to time.

I would prefer to purchase something used, if anyone suggests a model, please suggest model years worth looking into VS staying away from, if possible. Also what is worth paying for how many miles, what a moderate CC to consider as a beginner, what brands are recommended and, what to stay away from ect.

I'm 23, about 6 foot and weigh around 135-140, last I checked.

I don't need a super "balls to the wall" power bike. But, I would like to pick something up I can keep around for a while.

Like I said, I really like the classic style so PLEASE, don't suggest any sports bikes.

A few bikes I really like the style of(aside from the above mentioned)
Moto Guzzi V7 special and V7 stone. Triumph Scrambler and Bonneville. yamaha XS650.

I think that's all I can really think to ask right now.
Last edited by TrashVamp on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: New rider looking for a bike!

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Take the MSF riding course to be sure you've learned the basics.

400-500cc is a good size for strong enough beginners. Heavy enough to make you pay attention, enough power to go anywhere but freeway but not so big that you can't pick it up if needed and you can walk it to where it needs to go and heave it onto the centerstand without getting a hernia.
For the not-so-strong (or heavy), the 250 size is good.

For learning plan on staying off the freeways for awhile. Spend your learning time on lesser travelled roads learning shifting, steering, braking, and anticipating. Slow speed limits mean less wind-induced distraction. The lighter bike means you can explore more easily than with a bigger bike since turning around and getting in and out of driveways and narrow spots is easier.

I'd like to have my mind wiped so I could relearn how to ride motorcycles again. It was fun!

But I'm still learning, but the items are much smaller now.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

TrashVamp
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by TrashVamp »

Thanks.
I plan to take the MSF course pretty soon and, I'm sure I learn quite a bit there.
I'd like to shoot for a 400 or 500cc model but, I guess I'll figure that out more soon enough. Any bikes of the heavier size you would recommenced looking into?

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#4 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Welcome to TMW! WE're glad to have you, and you've come to the right place. You wont find a more active, engaged and helpful community of riders anywhere on the web. To your question...

Definitely take the MSF course first, and once you've completed that give yourself an honest appraisal of your skill and comfort level. The main question is you'll be buying a 'starter' bike that you'll eventually want to upgrade from, or if you're ready for an 'easy' bike that will be forgiving to a beginner but will also reward the experienced rider.

If you're going for a starter, to eventually upgrade, you can't go wrong with the Honda Rebel. Given your weight, a Rebel isn't going to do much better than the 50 or 60mph range you've already been advised of. The Virago 250 is also a great option, and Kawasaki also used to make a 125cc cruiser called the Eliminator. The 125cc variant ran in the late 80s and early 90s, then was reintroduced in the early 2000s. The last model year was 2009. Also, Hyosung makes a 250cc cruiser, the GV250, which has that classic cruiser styling you like. Reports on reliability and quality from Hyosung are spotty at best, but for a one or two season starter bike it could fit the bill. You should be able to find any of these above bikes for less than $2500 and with less than 20,000 miles, check Edmunds or KBB for individual values.

If, though, you feel confident with a bike that is easy to ride but still has the performance for a veteran, the S40 you mentioned is a strong contender. Others to look into would be a Honda Shadow 750, model years 2000 to current, the Yamaha RoadStar 650 from the same time period, Kawasaki Vulcan 800 (again, same model years), and for a little less punch the Kawasaki LTD 500 (which died the same year the Eliminator went away). These are all classic cruisers with V-Twin powerplants, any of them has more than enough power to take you on the freeway but very few of them could take you into triple digit speeds. You should be able to find these in the $2000-$4000 range, shy away from any with more than 30,000 miles.

The personal favorites you mentioned, the V7, Bonneville, etc, are all of a particular class where they'd be a bit more $$$ to lay hands on. I'd strongly recommend you start with a bike you wont feel so bad about dropping, get your dings and goofs and brain farts outta the way, and then go for your 'dream bike'.

Keep us updated, and again, welcome to Total Motorcycle!

TrashVamp
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by TrashVamp »

thanks! I will definitely keep an eye out for some of the bikes you mentioned and see how they feel. I'm sure I'll post some sort of update after I complete the course. Triple digit speeds don't really matter to me. It would just be nice to have something I could get up to 75mph-ish if necessary.
As of now I would probably settle for the rebel or something similar but we'll see what I feel comfortable with when it comes time to purchasing a bike.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#6 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

I'm not up on the current bike models. I've had my current one since new. I sold the XT350 about 8 years ago and since getting a little more active in riding recently I miss it. (During most of my moto ownership I've had 2 bikes at a time. One big, one little.)

You might find that the starter bike will start to feel too small relatively quickly. But in many respects this just represents the idea that if a bike is bigger it must be better.

In practice the big bikes do travel better for long distances but can be more effort to just go for a fun ride. A smaller bike can be just right for getting out on a sunny day and seeing what you might find while poking around the local roads you've never been on. And the smaller bike costs less for those recreational trips.

I'm a big fan of dual sport bikes because in my area there are lots and lots of dirt roads left so having a bike that's a bit more comfortable on dirt gives me way more places to ride.

But if you don't currently ride it's hard to predict what you'll like to do. And that will change with time. Enjoy the journey!
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

A Yamaha 650 V-Star Classic.....It will take care of your city riding needs and highway riding wants. :)

It was my first bike and I had never even ridden dirt bikes. It won't overpower you.

It may feel heavy for the first couple of weeks but once you learn the balance and leverage it will start to feel nimble.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

For the record, a Honda Rebel WILL go faster than 50 mph. It will keep up with highway traffic. I delivered a Rebel to a friend (new rider) via highway. In part to prove to myself that it would do it. My biggest issue was with the light weight of the bike. It got blown around a bit.

Take the class, then go bike shopping. And consider this: Would you take golf lessons in December? Probably not, because you wouldn't get a chance to practice the newly learned skills before having to pack it in for the winter. Same thing applies to motorcycling.
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#9 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Buell Blast
there aint nothin like it

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#10 Unread post by gsJack »

A Rebel can do it:

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18512

But a GS500 makes a better first (or last) bike. :)