Misadventures in wrenching and riding

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#181 Unread post by Shorts »

That is a heckuva time it looks like your having with that 'yota. Don't get me started on spun main bearings :frusty: Good luck

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#182 Unread post by AZRider »

Sounds like the thermostat might be stuck open. Or worse, exhaust is getting into the coolant passages. Usually caused by small cracks in the head that expand when the engine heats up.
Kawi VN1600

I dont give a damn what the name on the bike is..........Just ride it.

AZRider: Never met a bike he didnt like.

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

#183 Unread post by Skier »

The hose going into the radiator is about 11 degrees F warmer than the hose coming out.

On my Civic, the difference is 80 degrees.

I think the rad is toast, gonna pull it and have it flow-tested.

I need to get some of the broken engine parts all cleaned off to use as paperweights. One of the pistons is going to be converted to a cigar ashtray. 8)
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#184 Unread post by Sev »

Old pistons make great pen holders. If you get a thin piston it'll hold your business cards just right.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#185 Unread post by Wrider »

See what a free car really costs? lol Or however much you paid for it? Yeesh... :laughing: At least you're getting to spend time wrenching during the winter when you don't have the option of being out riding... :laughing:
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Skier

#186 Unread post by Skier »

Still haven't gotten anywhere with the pistons aside from hosing them down with brake cleaner to get the oil off. I need to drop by a shop and have 'em press the wrist pins out.

My buddy and I went on a ride between rain/snow/hail showers on Sunday. Short 75 mile ride, but it felt great. My bike rolled over to 18,000 miles.

Today we received at least two inches of snow in town. It was strange to look outside to see an incredible amount of hail and snow coming down, then checking the webcams for the university eight miles away and seeing beautiful sunshine.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#187 Unread post by Nalian »

Skier wrote:Still haven't gotten anywhere with the pistons aside from hosing them down with brake cleaner to get the oil off. I need to drop by a shop and have 'em press the wrist pins out.

My buddy and I went on a ride between rain/snow/hail showers on Sunday. Short 75 mile ride, but it felt great. My bike rolled over to 18,000 miles.

Today we received at least two inches of snow in town. It was strange to look outside to see an incredible amount of hail and snow coming down, then checking the webcams for the university eight miles away and seeing beautiful sunshine.
I sure do not miss the random weather changes of Eastern WA like that.

Skier

#188 Unread post by Skier »

Diagnosis from the shop: everything is A-OK. No overheating: the factory temp gauge isn't reading correctly and the after market gauge was reading correctly but I was too nervous to let it get hot enough to let the fans turn on.

Since the car started showing "overheating" temps after I replaced the temp sensor, I am fairly sure the sensor is the problem.

(edit) Sweet, car was undriveable on the way home. Engine surges, stumbles and stalls.

The Gf is quite confident with the car. I believe her exact words were "I don't want to drive the car."

Skier

#189 Unread post by Skier »

I went back to Seattle this weekend. Parents were off on vacation but my dad left a note saying I could use his motorcycle.

:twisted:

Took it up to the Ural dealer in Bellingham, WA, where I checked out a brand new Gear-Up just assembled. The dealership was more of a converted farmhouse with attached garage/work area than what I expected, but they came across as honest fans of the machine. Not much more you can ask!

I had a spin as passenger and took it around their gravel parking lot. Despite being told not to counter steer, instincts take over and I found myself aiming at some of the display bikes. With plenty of room to spare I convinced myself to turn right to go right, not push right to go right.

It's a great motorcycle and will work great for longer trips with my GF. They aren't the fastest machine or the most fuel efficient but they'll truck around a few people without issue.

Now to scrape up the $15,000 for one!

A note on my father's bike: the poor thing has 75,000 miles on it! :shock:

And I put on another 300 yesterday. :innocent2:

Skier

#190 Unread post by Skier »

My plans to ride my motorcycle to training in Redmond, WA have been axed by weather. Inches of snow accumulation on some of the passes in the state and I would have to log a 600 mile day to get from Redmond to Boise, ID to teach a rider training class. Looks like the cage is getting some more miles on it. :(

Our spring update for rider training is tomorrow. It's supposed to snow on us. :cry: