Blue's Big Blog......The Road Trip Section

Locopez
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 09 HD Electra Glide Classic

#41 Unread post by Locopez »

awesome pictures of the lake.............looks like a great trip....you sure got out of California in time...man it has been raining something!!!!!

Ride safe!!! :mrgreen:
07 Suzuki DR650SE & 03 HD FLHT Elctra Glide

Rubber side down....shinny side up!

Fathertork
Elite
Elite

#42 Unread post by Fathertork »

Fantastic trip and photos! Now thats what motorcyclings all about.
06 FLHTCI Classic

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#43 Unread post by dr_bar »

I don't know if I believe it myself, but we did that trip in Oct and for the whole 12 days, we never got fogged in or had more than about 6 hours of rain while riding and foer the Oregon coast, that's incredible. Great trip, can't wait until "Roadtrip II" this spring/summer...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#44 Unread post by blues2cruise »

After leaving Crater Lake we didn’t make very many stops. Our next scheduled stopover for a night was in Bend and the plan was to try to get there before dark.

It was easy to make good time on the first leg of the ride because the road was so long and straight. We could see for miles in front and behind…..Now those who know me know that I usually ride fairly close to the posted speed limits, however, I have been known to open the throttle just a tiny bit to make up some time and distance on the odd occasion…and this happened to be one of those times…..We flew down that stretch of road until we got to the main highway and met up with other traffic. Once we got into a habitated area I slowed the pace down to go with the flow. We stopped for fuel and a quick coffee on the way, but that was about it. We were running out of daylight so we had to keep moving.
As we rode along the highway, I could see the sky changing colour giving us a spectacular sunset. I wanted so badly to stop for photos, but I knew I had to keep riding. We were in territory where an encounter with animal would be entirely possible. As it got darker, so it also got colder. I had to pull over into a strip mall parking lot to add an extra layer under my riding jacket, and put on my balaclava under my helmet. I was getting too cold. Once I added the extra clothing we got back onto the highway and into the flow of traffic.
I think it was rush hour judging by how much traffic there was. As we moved along the highway, I could see eyes sparkling along the side of the road. The dark shapes of the deer were barely visible, but visible enough to know that extra precaution was needed. I moved us over to the far lane away from the grassy ditches and shoulders.

It was dark now and we still had a ways to go but the going was slow. Traffic was traveling at a snail’s pace until we finally came to a full stop. There was construction ahead and traffic was not moving anywhere. So, we shut the bikes off and waited…and waited….and waited…..I finally got off my bike and did some stretching there on the side of the road. Dr_bar said the guys in the car behind me enjoyed the view. Lol
I didn’t care. We had a long day of riding behind us and I needed the stretch and movement. We sat there for close to an hour before they finally let us through.

We finally go into Bend around 8PM. We had a hotel in mind, but we couldn’t find it by the time we had ridden through the town, so I suggested to Doc that we go back and find something else. As we were heading back the way we came, I saw a sign outside the Red Lion Hotel. It stated that they had just renovated and had new pillow top beds. I knew that Doc had a sore back so I quickly put on my signals (although it was such last minute, it hardly qualified) and I made a hasty right hand turn. Doc barely had time to register the signal, but he managed to make the turn.
“What’s up?” he asked.
“The sign for the hotel we just passed said they have pillow top beds.”
His eyes lit up. “Lead the way!”
We went around the block and pulled into the driveway by the lobby to register. I double checked to make sure that the room was a true non-smoking room. The clerk gave me the keys for a couple of rooms to go have a look and a smell. I was very impressed. The room was nice and it was fresh.
We chatted with the clerk for a bit who seemed very happy to hear about our trip so far. She even suggested things to see and do. We bade her goodnight and took our belongings to our rooms before heading out in search of a light meal and a hot drink.

Later on when I finally got into bed, I decided that this bed was quite possible THE most comfortable bed I had ever been in. I slept well that night. The only let down of this particular hotel was the “so-called” continental breakfast. We weren’t impressed by the mass produced mini muffins and the coloured sugar cereal offered. So we went to restaurant adjacent for some real breakfast. While we were having our breakfast, we decided to stay another night. As I mentioned earlier I had not been well when we left Vancouver. The cold damp air from the night before had not done me any good. I was coughing worse again. We figured in the interest of my health, another day of taking it easy would be a smart thing to do.
When we walked into the lobby of the hotel to book another night’s stay, the clerk from the night before was so pleased to see us. (I actually think she was more pleased to see Dr_bar). She had talked about enjoying bikes…hint, hint….she had made suggestions…..hint…hint….She had come in to help out but was now off for the rest of the day…..hint…hint….
Sometimes Dr_bar is slow….lol
Anyway, we went for a walk. I wore a scarf over my face to help warm the air before it went into my lungs. It was a nice day, but s-s-s-o-o-o-o c-c-c-cold-d-d-d.
We had noticed that the chrome on the bikes had black spots. The salt air from the coast had already started eating the chrome. We went in search of an automotive place so I could buy some chrome cleaner. The hotel maintenance man had left a big bag of rags for me to use to clean the bike. When we got back to the hotel, doc went to his room to read, and I got myself a hot drink and my cleaning supplies and went to my bike. I spent about an hour and a half cleaning, but I finally got the chrome looking like new.

After I finished that job, Doc and I went for a little cruise around town on his bike. There wasn’t any point in taking two bikes and I was glad to just sight see, navigate, and relax. We rode to the local Yamaha dealer where I bought myself a STAR shirt and hat. That was all I bought myself that whole trip. I bought other things for other people to give as Christmas gifts though.
We rode through town to see the lay of the land. We went into the old town which is now like a new town.
This bridge looked more like public art than anything. It just goes across the river to parking.

These stacks are from the original mill. The building is now an REI outdoor store. The whole area is somewhat of a tourist attraction now.

I must say, though, that the area around there is very attractive. The town did a very good job of rejuvenating the old mill district. Very trendy and expensive. We went for a coffee and a browse around before heading back.

Doc wanted to stop into a particular place but he bypassed it. I told him he had gone too far. He insisted we hadn’t gone far enough. When we finally got to the outskirts of town he decided that maybe he had gone to far. So we turned back and found the place on the second go around.
When we had ridden in the night before, I had seen a sign for an Italian restaurant. I saw that sign again when we were riding today. It was only a block away from the hotel. I suggested that we go there for dinner later.
Doc hates making decisions. He tells me that often. So if I suggest something for dinner he is a happy camper.

The weather looked like it was going to change from just cold biting wind to rain so we headed back to the hotel. I had brought a poncho with me to use for a bike cover. Since I had put so much time and effort into cleaning the chrome, I wanted to cover it in case of rain. I unfolded the poncho and laid it over the bike. I was attempting to secure it with elastic bands, but there were forces working against me. As I was pulling the poncho one way, Doc was pulling it the other way. It’s amazing that we ever accomplish anything. Lol

We each went to our rooms for some downtime before going for dinner. At the appointed time, we met and walked to the restaurant. Doc marveled at how I knew this was there. He hadn’t seen it. It was fortuitous that we went there. It was voted the best Italian restaurant in Bend for 8 years in a row. We had to agree.
If you are ever in Bend, Ernesto’s is a good place to go.

After dinner we walked for a bit before heading back to the hotel. We went into the lobby where there is a 24 hour coffee bar available. I got a hot drink and sat by the fire in the so very comfortable chairs there.
We said our good nights with an agreement to meet for coffee in the morning.

After packing all our gear, we headed toward The Dalles. I had heard how beautiful The Dalles were. We passed through Redmond where I think we stopped for fuel. By then we were thinking we should find someplace to eat. We stopped at a little place called The Apple Peddler. I can’t find my disc of pics for this so they will be posted later.
I’m not sure what the town was, but it may have been Terrebonne. After fuelling ourselves and getting back onto the highway, the temperature started to rise. It felt like we were in a desert. The air was hot and dry and the landscape was brown and barren. We made a couple of stops along the way to take a few pictures.

King of The Desert. lol

Volcanoes in the distance.

Middle of nowhere. Well, ok, it’s a desert, but we have no idea where we are at that point.

Next stop…a rest stop in the middle of nowhere…..

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#45 Unread post by Apollofrost »

Wow, looks like you were in my neck of the woods. Or rather what used to be my neck of the woods.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

blues2cruise

The dry Dalles, Columbia River, Vancouver, Wa, home.

#46 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Next stop “The Dalles”.

I had heard that The Dalles was beautiful. Some people from my camera club talked about it so the Doc and I decided to add it into our trip. Well, after getting there I was not inspired to do any photography. The area was brown and dry and hot. We made a lunch stop and then carried on.
We did manage to find an historic place to have lunch. The food was so-so, but the place was great. The original wooden floors, the original bar and paintings. etc.

Once we left that area and were riding along the Columbia River Gorge I enjoyed it much more.

I guess I am not much of a dessert person. I much preferred the river and mountain views. We made a stop at the dam, but it was closed for the day. We dallied a little bit there though because it was fun watching the fish jump in the water. Fishing is prohibited there. I suspect the fish must know this and that is why so many of them hang out there.

Our destination for that night was Vancouver Washington. We rolled into Salmon Creek (a suburb of Vancouver WA) and found a Red Lion. We checked in a then went in search of some food. It’s slim pickings at nine at night around there, so we got a slice of pizza and then headed over to Starbucks for a tea. We wandered for a look around and found ourselves by a Fred Meyer’s. If you ever need any useless trinkets for whatever occasion you can dream up, then this is the place to go. It’s mind boggling how much miscellany there is.

We sauntered back to the hotel and went our separate ways to our rooms with the agreement that one would phone in the morning. I was the dozy one this time. 

After a quick breakfast and coffee, we repacked all our gear and head to the highway. We could see Mount St. Helen’s from the highway. We ended up taking an exit to somewhere…..for the life of me I can’t remember the name of the place. We had stopped in for fuel and then instructions to get to a motorcycle shop….

We found our way to the shop where I found a helmet I would like. I am wishing now that I had bought it, because it is not available where I live. It sounds like a reason for a ride, think.

After leaving the shop we found our way back to the freeway and then to Olympia for supper. This was originally going to be an overnight stop for the start of the Olympic peninsula ride the next day. However…….plans changed…again.

Doc can tell you about the fancy painted Goldwing we saw. I believe he has a picture.

While we were fuelling up, Doc asked me “How would you feel about going straight home tonight?”
Me “Why?”
Doc,”Well, I think I really would like to go to Calgary….and if we can get home tonight, I can get in my car and drive to Calgary. Why not come with me?”
Me. “I don’t mind if we go straight home, but I’ll have to think about the Calgary part….ask me again after we get back and I’ll see how I feel.”…..and of course I had to rub it in one more time……
“We could have started in Calgary, but everyone talked me out of it”……..insert evil smiley here.
So….I then ask, “Can you keep up?”
I said “I’m on a mission now and so you need to pay attention for when we go through the Seattle area.” I smiled a big smile for this would be no pleasure cruise.

We got onto I-5 North for the ride of our lives….I didn’t just rely on my bike’s turn signals, because sometimes Doc doesn’t notice them quick enough. I used a combination of regular hand signals and raising my arms and pointing. When you see the signs you need down there, you need to make quick decisions and get over or you end up somewhere you don’t want to be.
We used a combination of passing lanes, middle lanes and express lanes. It’s kind of creepy going through the express tunnels, but they sure do move along fast. We made good time getting through that area until we finally had to pull off for a fuel stop near Bellingham.
I think Doc was surprised at the fast ride we had. I told him, “I’m on a mission.”
He said, “I can tell.” (laughing of course.)

I don’t normally ride like that because I prefer a more relaxed pace, but I suppose it’s good to ride like we did to keep the skills honed.

After fuelling the next stop was the border. We were lucky…there was only a small lineup. Once at the border, I showed my passport and answered the border guards 2 or 3 questions whereupon he said,”Welcome home and have a nice evening.”

There is something very special about coming home even though the trip was so good. We stopped in New Westminster at a coffee shop that is located halfway between us. Doc asked me then if I had thought about Calgary. I said ok.
He was elated. I couldn’t help it. My sense of adventure outweighed my desire to stay home. We had a quick tea and then went out separate ways home. Doc was going to phone at 4am and then come and pick me up in his car. After I hauled all my gear in, I quickly repacked another bag for the next three day jaunt to Calgary. I had a quick shower, set the alarm and crawled into bed.
When my alarm went off I got up and got ready and then waited for the phone call that never came. I waited…..and waited…..until I finally phoned him. Whoops. He slept through his alarm. He would be there as soon as he could.

Next segment….The Calgary trip.

This would be the only snow we saw.... :laughing:

Yamaha Couple
Rookie
Rookie

#47 Unread post by Yamaha Couple »

Awesome pictures B2C. I have been to some of those places and they are so awesome.

Thank you for doing the blog

Cindy
Yamaha Couple
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim (Wife's)
2003 Honda Rebel 250CC (Sold)
1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200 CC (Hubbies)

blues2cruise

#48 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Rebel Lady wrote:Awesome pictures B2C. I have been to some of those places and they are so awesome.

Thank you for doing the blog

Cindy
Thanks for reading....

I won't be doing any road trips this year....however, I plan to do a few next year. :) I missed out on so much this past seasons, I have a lot to make up for.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#49 Unread post by High_Side »

Somehow I missed the rest of BlLues-Blog part Deux after my last post. A great read and great pictures. Looking forward to when you can get out there and generate some more! Whatever happened to the Calgary segment????

mazer
Elite
Elite

#50 Unread post by mazer »

Too bad I did not know about this forum when you took your ride. I live not too far from Dr. Insomnias - actually between Novato and the Golden Gate Bridge, near where our Civic Center was built by Frank Wright. (of course it leaks too)