Back in the saddle again.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#21 Unread post by ceemes »

blues2cruise wrote:shame....taxis are for getting to and from places when you are incapacitated or impaired. And, yes, you were impaired. It's fortunate for all around you didn't have a mishap...and fortunate for you the police didn't stop you. :lecture: :P
hmmmm.......did my mom call you again? :laughing:
Always ask why.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#22 Unread post by blues2cruise »

ceemes wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:shame....taxis are for getting to and from places when you are incapacitated or impaired. And, yes, you were impaired. It's fortunate for all around you didn't have a mishap...and fortunate for you the police didn't stop you. :lecture: :P
No, your brother finked again. :laughing:

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#23 Unread post by ceemes »

blues2cruise wrote:
ceemes wrote:
No, your brother finked again. :laughing:
figures, the little swine....and after him asking me to arrange transport of a Corvair engine for him from VA.....think I'll see if I can get it lost in transit and then have it mysteriously reappear in my Renegade if I can every afford one.....
Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

Old Farts and Corvette's

#24 Unread post by ceemes »

A new pet peeve for me, boy am I ever gaining a lot of them lately, must be getting old and crotchety.

Rode to work again today and had a blast. While all those single occupant cages were crawling down Highway 17 at 10 MPH, I and 600 jockey got to fly down the HOV lane, had it all to ourselves....lovely.

However, on the way home, traffic was snarly and no HOV lane. Still, the traffic flow was good and a decent speed was maintained, which brings me to old farts and Corvettes. Had some joker in his late 50's early 60's driving a newish 'Vet riding my rear wheel for a good 3 miles.

Wave him back and his drops back a car length or two, then creeps back up my arse again, one can't help but wonder if he really wanted to get up close and personal in the biblical sense with me for some reason.

This is not the first time something like this has happened, so many old farts in a high performance car acting like the worse Squid with a brand new 600 sport bike. Who are these guys trying to impress? That sweet young thing in the Civic in the next lane?

There is something about the males of our species, the older they get, the stupider the seem to become. Then again, I guess I am one to talk. After all, I am now on the wrong side of 40 and riding a bike...and I look damn cool and dead sexy while doing it. Bet that sweet young thing in the Civic would agree with me. :laughing:

Your friend and author,
ceemes
Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

Manila

#25 Unread post by ceemes »

So, you all think you are bad assed bikers and riders eh? Well so did I, I figured I was hell on two wheels, dressed in black, tearing down the highways, scaring little old ladies, confusing cage drivers and generally entertaining the kiddies being hauled about by their soccer moms in their SUV's.

Well my brothers and sisters, I have some sad news to report. When it comes to riding hell bent for leather with little regards for life and limb, we are mere wannabes, NooBs, pikers compared to the riders in Manila.

Those boys and girls have no fear, and even less gear. And turn signals? Forget about it.......a horn is all you need.

Anyways, once the monsoons let up, I will post some pictures of the interesting bikes and rider here in the Philippines.

Till then, keep the sunny-side up and the sticky side down,

Your friend and author,
ceemes
Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

From the Philippines

#26 Unread post by ceemes »

Been here a week now and still haven't gotten up the nerve to ride here.....it's just crazy I tell you, CRAZZZYY!!!

The majority of the bikes here are in the 125CC to 188CC range, with 125CC and 155CC's being the most popular. Safety gear such as helmets, jackets, boots, gloves or pants are more of a fashion statement then anything else. Turn signals are rarely used and it seems that tail lights are also considered to be a option for night riding. And it is not all that unusual to see a Honda Passport being riden 3 or 4 up.

Anyways, here are a few pictures I have taken in both Manila and Tacloban.

Two guys and fairly large woman riding three up. Note the lack of gear and flip flops.

Three up again. I have seen an entire family consisting of mom, dad, and two young kids riding four up on a Honda Dream, and only Dad wearing a helmet.

Lane splitting Manila Style. Imagine five lanes of heavy traffic trying to go down a three lane road, then imagine trying to negociate a motorbike or scooter thru that traffic. I am amazed that I haven't seen anyone splattered across the road yet. The bike riders here can sure ride.

The sidecar taxi. These are the mainstay of public transport here, even more then the more famous Jeepneys. I rode in one a couple of day back and my back is still bent out of shape. Good transportation if you are under 6 feet, murder if you are over that height.

Another sidecar taxi. I have been surprised about how well Canada and Canadians are known here. Many of the Jeepneys and Side Car Taxis sport Canadian flags and there are alot if immigration agents here advertising Canada more then America.

Tacloban Street fighter and yes, it is riden sans seat...or helmet. I thought the blue bottle might of been NOX, however its just a water bottle that the rider has made into his GAS TANK!!!!!.

Traffic cop bike....enuff said.

Your basic bike here.

and finally......

No matter where you go, rat bikes are sure to follow...

you friendly author,
ceemes
Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

Sigh

#27 Unread post by ceemes »

Been three weeks since I rode, and feeling better now that the jet lag has worn off, I decided I would ride to work today. Got kitted up, put the key in the ignition and.........damn, battery was flat....ended up caging to work....looks like a little wrench time is in order this weekend.

On a lighter note, I actually did get to do a bit of riding while on holidays, pinon only and we were three up and riding Filipino style......here's me doing my Super Squid imitation

Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

2007 Vancouver Toy Run

#28 Unread post by ceemes »

Been awhile since I last posted in my blog, so what better event to write about then the 2007 Vancouver Toy Run.

Once a year, the streets of Vancouver BC belong to motor bikers. Cops who normally would be looking to pull you over for speeding, license and insurance checks or other infractions now block the intersections and hold up lines of cagers. Cagers who spend 364 days a year trying to add you to their kill count now wave and toot their horns at you. Red lights along the parade route are just pretty decorations. Yes, its the annual Vancouver Motorcycle Toy run, the one day of the year in which bikers are cheered.

This was my first toy run since '93, a few weeks after that run my riding career came to a sudden and dramatic end thanks to a Ford 1 Ton pick up driver running a red light.

The weather look pretty good when I left home, even the sun was attempting to peek out from behind the clouds, but there were some pretty black clouds by the Coquitlam area mountains where we were to meet up and start the run.

The weather held off until about a 1/3 of the way through and then the heavens opened up and we were treated to typical Vancouver downpour that lasted until I got home hours later.

The turn out for the ride was pretty good considering the weather, must of been between 2500 to 4000 bikes of every description, make and model. And every type of rider you can think of.

Anyways, enough of me babbling on, it's the picture you lot want to see right? Here we go.

To start with, Mr. & Mrs. S. Claus

Me at the start point. What a handsome and dead sexy bugger I am aren't I?

Bikes, bikes, and more bikes.

Saw this CB750 Custom and was tempted to steal it, had one identical to it as my second bike.

Even the scooter crowd was there.

Nice old Triumph, pity my wing mirror got in the way.

Waiting to go and people chillin' and socializing.

Proof you are never too old to ride. Chatted with this gent for a bit and he told me he and his missus took that bike across Canada and back last summer.

Proof you are never too young to start, especially if Granddad is a cool dude biker.

This answers the age old question, how does a Canadian Hockey player who rides get their kit to the arena.

Gentlemen!!!! And ladies. START YOUR ENGINES!!!!!

And suddenly, 2500+ Motorbikes start up with a roar!!!!

Oi, wait for me!!!!

Jockeying for position.

Oh lordy, look at all that traffic behind me.....note to self, don't drop the bike.

No pictures of the actual run, just too wet and dangerous to play with the camera. But all along the route, people were standing on the sidewalks, overpasses and the like waving and cheering.

Arrived, a bit soggy but safe and sound. Second note to self, contact girl at Orca Bay Suzuki and let her know that the boots she sold me and claimed were 100% waterproof aren't.

Try to find parking.....

Santa's Helper....lots of toys were gathered as well as cash donations. A lot of kids who were facing a bleak Christmas should have something to smile about.

Rumour has it that the first toy runs were organized and run by the local Hell's Angels chapter in a bid to clean up their image. I remember seeing them with their colours during past runs, but didn't see any this year. But there was a Bike Club in attendance who were proudly flying their colours, but I figure the worse they would do to me is thump me with their bibles. Scary looking dudes, but good people.

Of course the media was in attendance.

Some faces in the crowd.

Some people just have to make a fashion statement don't they?

I think I dated her once....

Finally, there was a lot of speculation about the year of this Harley, turns out it a hybred, depending on which part you are looking at, its either a '59 or a '69.

Next weekend there is a small Toy Run in the upper Fraser Valley, about an hour and a half away. Depending on the weather, I will try to make that one as well.
Always ask why.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#29 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Good ride report. Thanks for the visuals. :)

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#30 Unread post by dr_bar »

In the "Oi, wait for me!!!!" picture, way up at the front of the line is a yellow helmet...

Can you guess who's wearing it???? :roll: :mrgreen:

Hint...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"