Gummiente's Blog!

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#241 Unread post by Gummiente »

A co-worker and avid rider, Bob, was heading into work on his 2000 Gold Wing this morning when he had the misfortune of centerpunching a deer along the way. He said three of them suddenly appeared out of a deep ditch; he braked hard to avoid the first two but nailed the third right in the midsection. He managed to keep the bike up and stop safely and the deer, after wobbling about for a bit, buggered off in pursuit of its buddies. Bob was a bit shaken up but otherwise unhurt and his Wing now has a shattered front fender and fairing, although it is still rideable. Oh, and both the deer whistles on the front of the fairing were destroyed.

I felt a bit better about having wussed out and taken the Jeep today because of the heavy rain in the forecast. But I promised Bob I'll take the Harley tomorrow and park next to him like I always do when we show up on our bikes.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#242 Unread post by dr_bar »

If you ever happen to be rolling through Angus on one of your weekend tours, and run into a goofy lookin' Major riding his "Shirley Davidson" (Read Yamaha Vino) say hi to that brother of mine...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Gummiente

#243 Unread post by Gummiente »

dr_bar wrote:If you ever happen to be rolling through Angus on one of your weekend tours, and run into a goofy lookin' Major riding his "Shirley Davidson" (Read Yamaha Vino) say hi to that brother of mine...
Will do. Have been meaning to head over that way for a while now, might just do that next weekend.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Gummiente

#244 Unread post by Gummiente »

Lost a very dear member of my wife's family to cancer early this morning. Have been enduring mood swings all day, I just get so mad at feeling so helpless. Angie had already left to be at the hospital on Thursday morning, as we knew it was going to happen soon. She called me at 4am this morning just after it happened, but I never heard the phone. Felt like a total "O Ring" because I wasn't there when she needed me.

Had to keep busy today, so I laid a few more bricks (about 15' worth, actually) into the gap between our driveway and the neighbour's. Looks pretty good, if I do say so myself. Then I went for a 130km ride on the Harley to clear my head... sometimes the Ural just isn't the right bike for the job. Finished moving the woodpile when I got back.

Just had supper, a BBQ'd steak with my own Jack Daniels marinade recipe, and am now waiting for Angie to call with the details and timing for the funeral. I have a good supply of Beck's beer on hand and have set up a fire in the fireplace - it's supposed to go down to 10C tonight, but that's not why I'm doing it... just need the soothing effect of one right now.

Cancer sucks.

Death sucks.

RIP, Christine. I miss you already.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#245 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I wish I was close by to give you a big hug. I have tears in my eyes reading about it. So sorry for your loss.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#246 Unread post by ceemes »

My condolences Gummie. I know its little comfort, but at least her suffering is now over and the slow healing can begin. Takes time, so take it easy and my offer stands, if you need to talk, just give me a shout.

Chris
Always ask why.

Gummiente

#247 Unread post by Gummiente »

Donna, Chris, thank you.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

sv-wolf
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#248 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Sorry to hear your news, Gummi; it sounds like you were very close.

If there is one thing I've learned, it's that we carry those we love inside of us while they are alive, and that doesn't go away when they die. Their sudden absence is hard to bear at first, but we never lose them, not really.

Look after yourself.

My best wishes, mate.

Richard
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

Gummiente

RIP Christine Clement

#249 Unread post by Gummiente »

I know none of you know who she is, but Chris was very important to Angie and I... she was my wife Angie's favourite Aunt and we had the sad duty of attending her funeral today. Chris was taken out by cancer in a very sudden and compressed time frame and it took all of us by surprise, for she was a strong woman and nobody saw it coming.

In addition to her many skills and hobbies she was also a motorcycle enthusiast, having recently entered back into the lifestyle after many years absence due to her raising her two children. Her Suzuki Marauder 250 saw frequent use as a commuter bike and we had planned to meet up with her part way to Peterborough on a ride this summer, but fate intervened before we could make it a reality.

Angie and I rode our Harleys to her funeral today and we're pretty sure she was with us in spirit - at one point we ended up following behind a Nestle truck with a Rollo Ice Cream ad on the back... Rollo Ice Cream just happened to be her favourite flavour.

She was a great lady and we miss her dearly.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#250 Unread post by Wrider »

I'm so sorry to hear that news Gummi. I wish I could say something to ease the pain. I am glad to hear that you at least had some good memories of her pop up while riding to her funeral. I hope the pain goes quickly and the memories stay forever.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha