csspostal
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2012/Harley Davidson/ Iron 883 Ember Red

My journey begins on mis Doce. 2008 Honda CBR125R

#1 Unread post by csspostal »

I just got back from the dealer. Made arrangements to get my bike out of the Honda Hotel. She is supposed to be read tomorrow afternoon ( March 5, 2010 ) at 1pm.

She'll be getting dressed up with a new tank pad and I cannot wait to take her out on the first ride.

Of course this morning they were calling for temperatures of 8 to 10 over the weekend while I was watching the news having a coffee. Just checked again and the dirty buggers say a high of 4 to 6 now. Like the ground hogs you the Weathermen have just got put on notice. :rant:

Either way she is coming home tomorrow. :kicking:
Attachments
frontview-myHondaCBR125.jpg
RhadamYgg wrote:I must have a sign on me that says "Never mind, he doesn't need vasoline."

csspostal
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

Re: My journey begins on mis Doce. 2008 Honda CBR125R

#2 Unread post by csspostal »

My trip started off great. Started off that is.

I picked up the bike at the dealership was walked through all the controls on the bike. Where was a big box store that was constructed but then closed for whatever reason.

The honda tech said go pratice over there for an hour or so get used to the bike. Took his advice put double digits in km on the bike.

Headed out into traffic then had my first stop sign, some bumpy roads and hit a man hole cover decided to remember to avoid those.

So I made it to Hwy 2 in Bowmanville travelled that to Newcastle which is an 80km speed taking my time.

I turned headed towards Bond Head, and the cemetary where my Dad is burried. I drove by his grave gave him the biker wave then the stopped on the way out and got off to take a break. I was tearing up so waited a few minutes until I got my head right. Got back on the bike and drove towards home on the lakeshore.

What a beautiful drive it was too. I crossed an old wooden rail bridge and some nice curves along the way. Taking my time had some nice bends. The roads had some sand and salt left over on it. I felt the tail end about to wash out a coupel times so I just took my time doing about taking it nice and easy. 60 to 70k I got into town and went down the main street. (walton) Turned on to Ontario street and headed towards home. A Harley guy gave me a head nod as I turned on to Ontario so I thought well I got a nod on a Honda from a Harley guy this day is looking up.

Now right as I was two blocks from home I seen a red car in the oncoming lane that looked like it was stopped I said don't you turn don't you turn. Wheels were straight until I was about a car to a car and 1/2 length away from it. My fears came true the I seen the wheels turn and the hood raise I hit the brakes I knew I wasn't going to slow down in time so I squeezed a bit harder. I then felt the bike raise so I let go of the front brake unfortunately next thing I know I was over the handle bars and barrell rolling down the street.

The car ironically turned into a medical clinic and went about their business.

A passer by came and helped me up which then asked someone else that just walked by to call 911 and the first guy stayed. Turns out it was an old friend that we went to school together since nursery school. He stayed until the police came. Which again turned out to be another friend of mine that used to have their back yard but up against mine in the house I grew up in.

Went through the routine unfortunately I have no idea what the plate would be and their were several red cars of the same make and model in the parking lot. So unless someone fessed up to it. No charges were laid on me Insurance rate hike I am sure will be following. :x .

So my aunt and uncle came kept an eye on the bike and called made arrangements with the two truck to have the bike taken back to the dealer. So I then trodded off to wait an hour at the walk in clinic at the medical center.

Soft tissue damage a little bit of rash on my right elbow down towards my wrist. Skin is broken and quite red no real blood to speak of but quite swollen. I believe my arm would have been hamburger if I didn't have my gear on. Doc says I'll be quite sore and swollen the next few days. Take advil 4 times a day for the pain.

Bike the left turn signal is off but hanging by the wires. The tail section is jammed up the bar for the passenger to hold on to is snapped off as is the tail light.

My camera is in the bike still or I would have taken pictures and posted.

Man 2 blocks from home really sucks. I feel like and idiot for squeezing the brakes too hard and going over the bars. Esepcially with practicing that exact scenario in the parking lot multiple times. Time to learn from your mistakes and move on.

So the pluses on this day I had the best time I had in years riding home.
Accidents suck and can't wait to get it from non riding family members I told you were going to be the next one we bury. Most of them are in Florida until end of the month so I'll have some time before I have to deal with the negativity.

So going to go watch a hockey game hoping the cold arena will help the swelling.
RhadamYgg wrote:I must have a sign on me that says "Never mind, he doesn't need vasoline."

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by mgdavis »

Wow sorry that you got off to such a rough start. Good luck with a swift recovery and getting the bike back in shape.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

csspostal
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#4 Unread post by csspostal »

Thank you.

I'm sore the only visible damage was a bit of rash on right arm. It is a little swollen don't know how much you can see in the photo. Kind of crappy as my camera is in the bike, so I had to use my cell phone. I have included a picture. I'm sure I'll be sore for awhile really won't know how much until I stiffen up over night.
Doctor said just take advil every 4 hours for the pain.

Although my wife's sister seems to think I should get a second opinion incase I need therapy. My aunt called looks like my helmets scraped up you guessed near the chin at the bottom of the visor. Full face and gear for the win.
Attachments
road rash.jpg

csspostal
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#5 Unread post by csspostal »

Although next time I'm getting Armour for my knees and hips. My right knee is real tender and a bit swollen and feels on fire right now.

I tried to attach two files here is my arm notice how it increase in size from left to right.

Kids tore the living room and hallway up. :laughing:
Attachments
swollen arm.jpg

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

Jeez! First day and you're off to a rough start thanks to a jackhole driver. I'm sorry you wrecked, but at least you're ok relatively speaking!
Gotta love the gear man, my arm would be hamburger too if it wasn't for mine, and definitely glad you ended up with the fullface helmet.
And hey, to be honest, I think just about ANY one of us would have gone down in that situation on our first day out on the road too. You'll probably be pretty sore tomorrow (if mine was any indication), so take it easy and rest up, make the kids into your little servants for the day! haha
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

csspostal
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#7 Unread post by csspostal »

I once heard there are two types of bikers. Those who have been in an accident and those who haven't been in an accident yet. I'm now a member of the former no need to pay my dues again.

Wife wouldn't let me enslave the kids. However she is letting me out to see a couple of hockey games this weekend. :)

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#8 Unread post by jstark47 »

Sorry to read you went down, and I'm glad you're not more seriously injured. I'm also glad the incident hasn't extinguished your desire to ride. As for the bike...... ehh. Bikes break and get fixed. Then they break again and get fixed again. Rinse and repeat.

My impression is you're a new rider, yes? A couple of things. Glad to hear you've practiced emergency stops. Keep practicing them. And when you ride in traffic, consider riding with a more experienced rider for a while. Watch what they do, how they react.

For example, you now know any car stopped in traffic is to be treated with the utmost of suspicion. Count on them doing the damndest things at the worst possible time for you as a rider. Plan on it, bank on it. Play the scenario in your head - if the car does A, I can do B..... Sometimes evasive manuever is better than braking. Sometimes not.

Which slot in the lane (left, center, right) were you in when the jacka$$ turned in front of you?

csspostal
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#9 Unread post by csspostal »

jstark47 wrote:Sorry to read you went down, and I'm glad you're not more seriously injured. I'm also glad the incident hasn't extinguished your desire to ride. As for the bike...... ehh. Bikes break and get fixed. Then they break again and get fixed again. Rinse and repeat.

My impression is you're a new rider, yes? A couple of things. Glad to hear you've practiced emergency stops. Keep practicing them. And when you ride in traffic, consider riding with a more experienced rider for a while. Watch what they do, how they react.

For example, you now know any car stopped in traffic is to be treated with the utmost of suspicion. Count on them doing the damndest things at the worst possible time for you as a rider. Plan on it, bank on it. Play the scenario in your head - if the car does A, I can do B..... Sometimes evasive manuever is better than braking. Sometimes not.

Which slot in the lane (left, center, right) were you in when the jacka$$ turned in front of you?
Yes new rider. It'd be great to have a mentor to ride with. The only person in the family that rode was my father and he passed away last year with a heart attack at 52. The Honda dealer had a couple rides last year where the take new riders with more experienced ones on tours. I'm planning going to these when they have them. I won't be making that mistake of assuming the car that is stopped with straight wheels no signal is actually planning on going straight again. I was in the left lane. Swerving wasn't an option as there was another car behind the one that turned. (also kind enough not to stop to check on me)

I want to continue riding but we'll see what feelings come up when I get back in the saddle after the repairs. Might be longer then I would like as I farted and blew my nose today and doing both made my ribs hurt.

If anyone has suggestions on what I should have done different feel free to give em. I want to learn from this. As the only bad mistake is one you don't learn a lesson.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

Well your first mistake was getting on a motorcycle! Do you know what kind of death traps those crazy contraptions are?!?!?! You're crazy! You could have killed yourself!
Now that you've heard that for the 100th time since your accident, honestly since he had straight wheels, no turn signals, and was in a straight going lane there's nothing you really could have done except for not attempting to do a stoppie. But the brake lever pressure comes with experience. At least you didn't go into him. That would have been even worse. So good on you for avoiding an impact like that!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha