The Blog of Blues

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: The Blog of Blues

#1361 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I've been lazy. I know I'm supposed to check inflation regularly. I have let it go for some weeks. I had a feeling the tires needed some air because they were not handling the same.

I checked them yesterday and as I thought...they were down a bit. I pumped them up and I could feel the difference on my commute today.

I haven't been on many day trips this season....I lost both my riding partners for various reasons and so most of my riding has been commuting.

At least I got to ride out of town a couple of times.

Weather permitting I will ride to Lillooet this weekend. Regardless of which route I use, neither of them are good for riding if the weather is bad. The Fraser Canyon or the Sea to Sky and then Duffy Lake...both are mountainous an winding.

Although I know I can do them....it will take longer....I've been caught in inclement weather on other mountain roads and after stopping to put on rain gear....just kept going.

Lillooet has its own winery. It's only been open for a few years. This year all their wine is from their own grapes. I'm going to Lillooet to meet up with friends who live there...and we are going to the first annual Fort Beren's Wine Fest.
I've already got my bubble wrap bottle bags packed. :mrgreen:

blues2cruise

#1362 Unread post by blues2cruise »

It just occurred to me....it is 10 years this month that I went and got a learner's permit to ride a motorcycle.
I think it was the end of September that I took the classes to learn to ride.
I think I took delivery of my motorcycle in October. Wow. It's hard to believe that ten years has passed.

There are times when I miss that first bike. It gave me a lot of trouble free riding and many adventures. That 650 V-Star took me so many places. 5 years and 50,000 km worth of places.
(30,000 miles for the U.S. folks) :D

A fond memory of riding in the Cascade mountains. Washington state.
in the Cascades.jpg

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#1363 Unread post by Hanson »

B2C,

The older I get, the faster the years seam to become part of my past. Congratulations are in order as you approach your tenth motorcycle riding anniversary.

With respect to tire pressure, I use a tire pressure monitoring system from Gamin. There is a pressure sensor that screws on each valve stem and a wireless connection between each sensor and my Zumo 390LM. The tire pressure is displayed on a GPS's screen, updated continuously, and I get automatic alerts if the tire pressure diverges from my settings. Every time I ride I use the GPS and I find that the tire pressure monitoring provides a lot of peace of mind. Even then, I still perform an abbreviated T-CLOCS inspection every morning and a complete T-CLOCS before I go for a longer ride.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

blues2cruise

#1364 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Thanks for the info. I don't currently own a GPS. I honestly haven't found a need for one.

I still have those old fashioned things called maps. :mrgreen:

If I ever decide to go someplace where I might get lost, then I will invest in a GPS.

blues2cruise

#1365 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I went to visit a friend who lives in Lillooet, BC. It's a small town that is rich in history from the gold rush days.

There are 2 routes to get there. I went via Whistler, Pemberton and Duffy Lake Road. I came home via Lytton on Highway 12 and then through the Fraser Canyon to Hope and home. It's about 4-1/2 - 5 hours to get there.

I now know what it means to have a bad ride. When people say, "have a good ride"....or...ask...How was your ride"?......The ride to Lillooet was awful. I seemed to be ok until I got past Pemberton. For some reason I started riding like a beginner. As the miles past, my thumb joints started to hurt. I wasn't very focussed on my riding. My brain just seemed to keep wandering.

Then the tailgaters started.....I could not go any faster because I was behind a line of traffic and yet the driver behind me seemed so impatient. They finally passed me on a curve in a bridge on a double solid line. They were now in front of me, but still stuck. I don't understand that mentality.
The Duffy Lake Road is a one lane winding road that is mostly a 60kmh speed limit...and occasionally 80kmh. Most of the way has no place to pull over. If it weren't for the aggressive drivers like the one who was behind me.....it's a nice place to ride.

I opted to come home via Highway 12 to Lytton and then Hwy 97 south. The Fraser Canyon. It was a good decision. All the way from Lillooet to Lytton there was no other vehicle heading south. I had the road to myself. The Fraser Canyon route has some 2 lane stretches and quite a few passing lanes. They are much needed because a lot of buses and trucks use this route.

Here is an idea of what to expect on Highway 12.
hwy 12.jpg
Sometimes there are deer and mountain sheep for those Kodak moments....but none today.

The only bleak spot on my ride home today was the trucker who would not let me pass. I have no problem being patient going up or down the big hills. I know the trucks have heavy loads and the engine pulls slowly upward or the engine needs to help keep the truck slow going down so as not to over heat the brakes. Fine.....however....when we got to a straight stretch with a dotted line...and nobody coming the other way....I signalled and sped up and moved into the on coming lane. The dirt bag trucker sped up so much I could not go past because there was now a vehicle coming in the oncoming lane. I had to brake and move back in behind him. He did it twice. :rant: He had a huge lineup of vehicles behind him.

Eventually I made it to Hope and stopped in for lunch.

I'm glad to say the ride home was uneventful.....except for the dirt bag trucker.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#1366 Unread post by jstark47 »

blues2cruise wrote:It just occurred to me....it is 10 years this month that I went and got a learner's permit to ride a motorcycle.
I think I took delivery of my motorcycle in October. Wow. It's hard to believe that ten years has passed.
You and me both. September 2004 is when I first got on that Reflex scooter. I remember being shocked at how much wind force there was at 35 miles per hour!!!
:shock:

:lol:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

blues2cruise

#1367 Unread post by blues2cruise »

jstark47 wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:It just occurred to me....it is 10 years this month that I went and got a learner's permit to ride a motorcycle.
You and me both. September 2004 is when I first got on that Reflex scooter. I remember being shocked at how much wind force there was at 35 miles per hour!!!
:shock:

:lol:
Windshields are so nice to have, aren't they?

blues2cruise

#1368 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I have a rack I don't need because I no longer have the bike. It's a rear fender rack for a 650 V-Star Classic. If you ride solo you might like it.

If you want it, please PM me. Just pay for postage and it's yours.
rear rack.jpg
rear rack.jpg (15.5 KiB) Viewed 4865 times

blues2cruise

#1369 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I re-connected with a person I haven't seen for a couple of years. We went riding. I left home at 9am and got home at 7pm.

The first rest stop....

As you can see the weather was "iffy"...but we had hope....
Rest stop Seabird Island Hwy 7.jpg
We then went into the town of Hope for a coffee and a fuel top up.

After that we rode up the Fraser Canyon to Boston Bar for lunch.

Here is the obligatory scenic stop...This is near Yale.

Yes...the skies cleared and the rest of the day was brilliant.
Me and zena fraser canyon near yale.jpg

After lunch we went for a short cruise to North Bend. North Bend is where mostly railway workers live...and by the looks of the people I saw...a few rednecks, too. :mrgreen:

We went as far the road was paved....and turned around at the gravel.

Here is my riding pal. His wife didn't feel like coming along so the 2 of us went. I think she's actually happy when he gets out riding.
Riding pal 1.jpg
Riding pal 2.jpg
Riding pal 2.jpg (252.52 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
When we came back we stopped in at Hope again for a drink of water....while at the gas station....an almost altercation happened...

I snapped a couple of quick pictures without being seen while my pal was in the store....When he came out I explained what had happened and he suggested we get out of there pronto...

A old guy on a silver cruiser backed into the front of a big black HD...while the owner was standing beside it....the HD fell over....There was a lot of shouting and swearing....the old guy rode his bike over to a different pump and starting fuelling his bike...as though nothing had happened. Meanwhile....the HD guy and his associates....and some others who just happened to be there...started exchanging "words"...the old guy walked over to them with a smile on his face; as though to apologize... but the HD guy didn't care....the old guy went back to the pump...Personally.... if that had been me....and my pal agreed.....we would have gone to a different gas station.....

Anyway....the old guy was still at the pump when the angry people left. They rode within a few inches of him in a rather threatening manner.

That's when we left....the ride home was so good. We stopped in at his place and I had tea with him and his wife. He asked if I'd like some whiskey in my tea...cause that's how he likes it.....I declined ...and his wife...I wouldn't have given her any anyway...because she knew I still had to ride home.

The evening sky riding home was gorgeous. Swirling clouds and all shades of pinks.
Attachments
testy.jpg

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#1370 Unread post by Hanson »

I love living in Texas, the people, the economy, the restrained government, but I so wish I could go for a short ride and have your beautiful vistas. I thank you for sharing your riding experiences and I especial thank you for taking the time to post so many wonderful photographs.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage