To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

JackoftheGreen
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

#21 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Hoo-RAH!!

Picked up the bikes from the shop this afternoon, new chains and sprockets on both. Rubia stuck with the stock arrangement for Bad Romance, while as stated in the above post I switched up to 18/40 combination.

First, Rubia wants me to report this to everyone who will listen -- if you've bought a used bike, and you're considering performance modifications because it's just not powerful enough for you, REPLACE YOUR CHAIN AND SPROCKETS FIRST!! Before you lay out any cheddar for more drastic or expensive power adders, find out how much power you can get out of what you already have. Rubia reports that although it was only a chain and spocket job, her Shadow feels like a whole new bike.

My experience with PowerSlave is the same -- I'm amazed at how much power I was losing at the chain. I'll have to take people's word for it that I've lost some of my low end, because even with the 18/40 swap my Vulcan is faster off the line than he ever was. And bonus, the extra high-end is simply amazing. I haven't got him out on the freeway yet, but I can already feel that his entire cruising dynamic is more relaxed. And if I get on it? PowerSlave will do 50 in First Gear now.

I'm really excited to find out how this will change freeway riding, and I'm almost as excited to see what it will do to my gas mileage. Stay tuned, I'll update as events unfold.

Oh, and a sneak preview!! Rubia's highway bars (National Cycle 'Paladin' Bars) are in a box in our living room right now. I'll be installing those myself -- check back to see how that goes. There'll be pictures, I promise.

JackoftheGreen

#22 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I think it's safe to say the riding season has officially started in Utah, and Rubia and I couldn't be happier about it. We both rode to work more days than not this week, and although the 1:30am rides home are a bit nippy they're absolutely worth it.

We got the new highway bars installed on Bad Romance, and they are beautiful. Pics to come soon, of course. I also replaced PowerSlave's windshield, and it looks excellent. I'm so excited to take pictures of my bike without a scuffed, hazed windshield marring the shot. (-:

The 18/40 sprocket swap has so far been amazing, simply amazing. I got on the throttle on the way to work yesterday, and finally shut it down at 80mph -- in second gear. That probably doesn't sound too impressive to those of you riding sport bikes, but this is an 800cc cruiser. I told Rubia that I believe PowerSlave's new top speed is officially Forbidden Fruit -- it's knowledge I don't want or need. We'll finally be getting out and doing some real riding tomorrow, including some freeway miles, and while I don't intend to learn his top speed I DO want to open it up a bit. Last summer, I felt comfortable stating my top speed as 92 or 96 mph depending on how level the asphalt was -- I'd like to confirm for myself he'll do at least a buck now. I'm sure I wont be disappointed.

That's all I have for now. Safe riding!!

JackoftheGreen

#23 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Why yes, in fact, we ARE loaded for bear. Stay tuned...
Attachments
20130608_122417.jpg

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#24 Unread post by dr_bar »

That picture and my sore neck don't get along... LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

JackoftheGreen

#25 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#26 Unread post by Johnj »

Have you guys got a gravity problem? :lol:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#27 Unread post by dr_bar »

Now down load and fix... LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

JackoftheGreen

#28 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Yes yes, still alive and well!

It's been a wildly busy summer so far, and with any luck it wont be slowing down much at all if the weather holds. Between all the recreating with the kids, the riding without the kids, and the parsing down of our home internet access to just what the wifi hotspot on Carrie's phone can provide, I haven't managed to make it on here much.

So, the pictures above (graciously fixed by Dr. Bar., thanx buddy!!), were from a road trip we took out to Vernal in eastern Utah, then north through Flaming Gorge into Wyoming. Flaming Gorge was hands-down the absolute most beatiful riding we've ever done, the scenery through that area is inspiring on a level with romantic poetry and exotic dance. It's like riding along the rim of the Grand Canyon, only it's filled with water. Simply incredible, and some fabulously technical bits too. Not that we shredded much, the views were simply too awesome to ride them aggressively.

I can't say the same for Wyoming. We rode I-84 from Green River all the way back into Utah via Evanston, and it was that stretch and the attendant winds that finally convinced Carrie and I our sub-liter bikes just aren't the best companions for our style of riding. We'll be dipping our toes into the liter segment soon enough, once the finances come available.

Which brings me to the next topic! We didn't think it would ever happen, but Carrie was blindsided by a sudden and intense lust for, of all damn things, a Hdavidson. Let my mangling of the moniker serve to illustrate our opinion of these machines. Neither of us have any love for Harleys, the way they vibrate or sound or what they do to your bank account and your mechanics kids college fund. BUT, the used bike dealership Carrie passes on the way to work every day has had a Dyna Fat Bob sitting out front for a while, and Carrie is enamoured of its looks. It's mostly the vestigal pillion and downswept rear fender that turns her on, as well as the curvy exhaust and the double headlight. Anybody have a suggestion for something with that sport-cruiser look? I'm sorta thinking Yamaha Warrior.

Finally, I wanted to tell you all to keep an eye out for a 'Busa rider from NC who may be joining the forums soon. I met the guy while playing chess on my phone, and sent him here after we got talking about bikes, throw him a warm welcome if he shows yeah? (-:

That's all for now, gotta do some googling for historic road signs in Utah for our ride this weekend. (-:

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#29 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Tell her to take a test ride. That may cure her. :laughing:

JackoftheGreen

#30 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Just a test before we go take pics for The Riding Game...