The dr is in the house… dr_bar's blog.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#11 Unread post by dr_bar »

Sweet Tooth wrote:...because it's the same engine they use in the Gold Wing...

From what I've been told, it's actually only the same block, the Valk has a sportier cam and breathes better than the wing engine. But that's just what I've been told, it may not be true... Anything I've actually seen shows the wing with the same HP (100) but with more torque (112.9 ft. lbs) than the Valk (95.9 ft. lbs) so who knows...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#12 Unread post by ZooTech »

Smaller displacement and different throttle bodies. Same basic layout, of course, but different powerband.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#13 Unread post by dr_bar »

ZooTech wrote:Smaller displacement and different throttle bodies. Same basic layout, of course, but different powerband.
Both bikes are 1500's so I don't understand the difference...

(1997 Wing & Valk)

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#14 Unread post by dr_bar »

I am so remiss at posting here. I'm taking a moment before heading out to work to post this wonderful picture of what it looked like on Monday morning while I was driving around town at 3:30AM. As much as I love snow, it was a surprise to get so much so soon in the season. This usually happens in Jan/Feb and lasts a whole day or so. Not what we're used to here in "Lotus Land"...

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#15 Unread post by dr_bar »

Gee, I've had this blog going for almost a year and a half now, and I'm still not off the first page... Says a lot about my writing skills and habits :oops:

I find that a good portion of my rides have already been written about by my friendly riding partner whom is way better at putting a day's events into words. Yes blues2cruise gets it all down and saves me the trouble and I really like the way she writes so it's a win win for me... :wink: Besides, I have a second job that takes a whole lot of my time up and inadvertenly also cuts into my riding time.

It is with that in mind that I am looking forward to a lengthy trip with blues2cruise this coming summer. Even though it will be in one of the most lucrative times of the year for my weekend job.

What is my weekend job you ask??? I drive limos and party buses in the Vancouver area. May and June are prime months for Grads and weddings, and tips are great, but with that said, last year during this period, I was exhausted and run down so much I didn't enjoy it too much at all. So when an offer to join Blues on a long ride came up, I said I would do my best to book the time off at my primary job, and would also inform the powers that be at the limo place that I would be unavailable during that time.

So, where is the long ride going to?? It's a secret, at least until my riding partner puts it out there for all to know about. Lets suffice to say that it's a bit longer than the trip to SF this last fall. :mrgreen:

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#16 Unread post by dr_bar »

After a long hiatus... :roll:

Here I am, sitting in front of my lap top when I should be back at the apartment packing it into boxes.

D*mn it, :evil: I'm on holidays for the week and I just want to get the rest this old body desperately needs. Regrettably, I won't get that chance. Today was a busy, run around in circles sort of day, and as much as I achieved all my goals, I'm still feeling guilty about not doin' the packing today. I need to kick this cold and get with the program...

All this running around and the Valk is sitting, feeling quite ignored, in the apartment parkade. I wish I had taken my camera out the day I picked up my new bed. Queen sized boxspring and pocket coiled mattress, 3" memory foam pad to sit on top and I also picked up a new coffee table at the same time. Getting them home was definitely a small adventure. I showed up at the pick-up area of the local IKEA with my motorcycle and the trailer I bought earlier in the year. Dropped down the coffee table, mattress pad boxspring and mattress tied them all down and much to the amazement of all around, drove away with it all. As I was loading it all on the trailer, a gentleman walks up to me and with that stunned look on his face says, "I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that!" :shock: I personally don't think he ever will again... :roll: :laughing:

There have been too many days recently that would have been greatly enjoyed on the bike, but I need to recover, move and then sit back and relax, (and maybe go for a ride or two as well...) :mrgreen:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#17 Unread post by Wrider »

Hey Doc, figured this was the best place to ask... How's the difference in the Valk and the Star? Torque? Power off the line? Rolling? Comfort?
Let us know Gorram it!!! :laughing:
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#18 Unread post by dr_bar »

Wrider, It's hard to compare apples and oranges but for the most part, you can't beat the Valkyrie for get up and go. Once you're in 5th on the Valk, it was like riding an automatic. Slow down speed up, damn, you never had to drop a gear with that bike. I think where the Venture takes over is in pure comfort, and the fit "n finish on the Yamaha is impecable. The Venture does have a lot of power though, you just need to use the gears more, but in my book, that's a good thing. More to come as I get used to this new toy..