LA, behind bars

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

LA, behind bars

#1 Unread post by Jamers! »

Been a busy month for me. Signed up for the MSF, got back onto the forums here, purchased my first helmet, went and sat on bikes at different shops and now I have started my first ever blog.

I read Lion Lady's helmet fit guide post and I was glad I did. Set out today to just try on helmets and sit on some bikes. Ended up very pleased with the service I got at the local triumph/Ducati shop. Tried on a variety of Shoei, Bell and an AGV helmets. Have a rather large and long head i discovered! The Shoei were the only ones that were a true fit. Was between the Shoei Quest and the RF1200. In the end the Quest won out because it sat lower on my head and the sales rep commented that it covered lower on the back of my head. Was googling price points the whole time and was pleased to find that the Quest i purchased was going for 300ish online and i was out the door at $290USD. Felt like it was a good bargain. I am sitting here with it on my head, wearing it in and I haven't discovered any hot spots or issues with the hat! My trapezius muscles are a touch sore, perhaps just not used to the extra weight they are now carrying. That will become more comfortable as they get used to it I am sure.

At the Montrose Ducati dealer I didn't sit on any bikes, nothing there is my style and really they don't have any beginner bikes. Even the sales guy said this which was nice to hear that he wasen't going to try and sell me something not right for me. At the trimuph shop I did sit on the 2014 Speedmaster. It was a bike that i liked a whole lot. Very classic styling and yet a seat height low enough to flat foot. (something that is kind of a must). The tank sure is wide though, and my legs were a touch flaired out due to that. But certainly surprised there was something there that i liked outside of the bonneville. I will have to consider them when i start seriously bike hunting at the end of the May.

Went to the Glendale, CA H-D dealer next. The sales rep there was nice in that he was ok with knowing i had no intention of buying and was just sitting and gathering a feel and info for when i start my hunt in earnest later. We tried out all the sportsters. the Iron 883 is THE most popular crusier in LA, i see it all the time. Part of the reason I am not in love with it is the fact that it is so common. I wouldn't mind sticking out a touch. Also being the most popular is at the same time the most stolen according to my AAA rep. The H-D Sportster 48 sure caught my eye. A very mean looking bike that has minimal junk on it. The stripped down look and low seat height were great. Cons to the 48 were the tiny peanut tank and knowing that it wont be able to really take a passanger or bags later down the line when i want to to do trips. the 1200T and 1200ultraLow were great in that sense. Was able to flat foot it, didnt feel like the tank was encroaching on my leg room and the forward controls felt much less cramped than the controls on the 48 or the 883. (for reference i am 5'11") I look forward to seeing how the 1200 and the speedmaster feel when im moving on them.

Was pleased that I didn't encounter any pushy or rude reps and that the H-D guy didnt try and sell me on the H-D family or mindset or any of that stuff. I hope to make it to the kawasaki and yamaha shops as well and see what kind of newbie options they have too!!

Anyhow, im excited to be getting into riding and giving this writing a blog thing a shot.

Here is me in my brand new helmet writing my brand new blog. Thank goodness yall can't see my big silly smile!!
Me in my new helmet!
Me in my new helmet!
helmet150kb.jpg (108.76 KiB) Viewed 22106 times
Last edited by Jamers! on Thu May 14, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: Through the LA desert on a metal horse with no name.

#2 Unread post by Hanson »

That is a great start to your moto blog. You are recording your thoughts, experiences, and most importantly you posted a picture. We demand photographs. This will also be a great place for you to ask question, but don't be disappointed if a people don't post a lot of comments. Your blog will allow you to go back to see what you have learned and a lot of people will read your blog while almost never posting a response.

I look forward to you sharing your experiences.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: Through the LA desert on a metal horse with no name.

#3 Unread post by Jamers! »

This time in two weeks i should own a motorcycle and be legally allowed to ride it. That wait is no fun, so im distracting myself by purchasing all my gear bit by bit. giving me multiple reasons to go to the shop and hang out and sit on the bikes and such.

today I went to the yamaha dealer. After becoming okay with a 500lbs 50ls/sq' 50hp bike (which wasent hard, i just had to ride the right one!!) i have read every review i can find and watched any youtube video from a credible source about the Honda ShadowRS, Iron 883 and Yamaha Bolt. From the reviews and specs list, the Bolt seems to be the best for me. I went to yamaha this afternoon, tried on some different gloves and jackets i purchased a full leather Scorpion Jacket and predominately leather Icon gloves with carbon fiber knuckles. It all felt very snug but not uncomfortably so. I tried on a few textile jackets that were more comfortable and certainly less hot but in the end I just think that if the job of a jacket is protection then you shouldn't skip out.

While i was there i sat on all 3 Bolt models and talked to the sale rep about them. When i have my license I am going to try the Bolt R-Spec as it is my #1 choice at the moment. The increased suspension travel, ABS, smoother ride and cheaper price than the HD all catch my eye. Also, on a vain note everyone and the mother seems to have an iron883. And if i can, i wouldnt mind being a bit different.

Anyhow, I also did some reading on RevZilla about different boots. Being as i only have my hiking boots to wear and they dont offer the kind of protection i would need i decided to get a pair of bike boots. I wanted protection, but nothing knee high and overly 'racey'. If they were comfy and stylish enough as to not need to haul around street shoes that would be a plus. I ended up ordering a pair of Icon Super Duty 4 boots in black. They have good reviews, have enough support and rigidity to hopefully hold up if i put it down and they dont look terrible.

All in all i spent a great deal of money, had a ton of fun and am totally geeking out. Sitting here in my jacket and helmet typing all this up. All i need is a damn bike now!! come on memorial day weekend!!

Here i am modeling my new outfit!
Attachments
20150512_232628.jpg
20150512_232628.jpg (114.17 KiB) Viewed 21735 times

ATGATT

JWF

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: LA, behind bars

#4 Unread post by Jamers! »

I got my bike today. :D :D :D :D :littlebike4: :littlebike4: :jump: :jump: :littlebike4: :roll2: :roll2:

I visited a few dealers and got the best prices i could. Ended up at my local yamaha shop. According to my sales guy they had "ordered red white and blue bolts for memorial day weekend sales but had one red too many" I was kind of hoping for a white one but when they said they needed to move the xtra red and offered $1,200 off MSRP for that red one i was in. Red looks just as good.

Had to work on em a bit to pay for destination and another nonsense fee but i ended up with a number that was under my hard limit and with a monthly payment i can manage.

YES YES we know man, tell us about the first ride.

Well here comes the let down. I had it delivered home and wont be riding it farther than my driveway until i take the MSF class this upcoming weekend. I am sure i could get around town or around the block if i tried and was super careful but i dont want to ride like that and i dont want to risk it. Why not wait the 2 days, get some skills then really enjoy it on a less nerve racking first ride.

I was surprised at how it actually sounds almost decent with stock pipes. The only thing i dont like right away is the all plastic airfilter. that will have to be swapped out soonish for something more pleasing.

Anyhow, i am so very excited and can't wait for saturday afternoon. Then i plan taking my 2015 Yamaha Bolt out for a cruise.

Obligatory picture.
Attachments
bike150.jpg
bike150.jpg (113.91 KiB) Viewed 21653 times

ATGATT

JWF

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#5 Unread post by pchast »

Congratulations on the new bike and a great attitude. :D
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

OffRoadney
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 450 4x4

#6 Unread post by OffRoadney »

Cool helmet and congrats on the new bike. I dont have a dirt bike but i have an ATV. will post pics soon.

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#7 Unread post by jaskc78 »

Grats on the bike, and good choice waiting for the MSF course. You'll learn a lot of really good habits to get into and will definitely start off on the right foot.

On a personal note, I'm really looking forward to some feedback on the Bolt. It's definitely caught my eye and with my new disposable income, I may be shopping again sooner rather than later.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#8 Unread post by Hanson »

Fantastic! Welcome back to two wheels, and you have a solid, mature, responsible plan of action.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Jamers! »

Pre
Miles YTD: 0
Miles lifetime : 0

This weekend was all about the bike for me. Friday night I had the first 3 hours of MSF lecture. Lets skip that and go to the fun part.

Saturday morning we got on our tried and true Kawasaki eliminators at the MSF range. It all came rushing back. It took a moment to get the multiple limbs coordinated but the memory of what to do was easily jarred to the surface. Went through 5 hours on saturday and 5 hours on sunday with no real issues. Never laid it down, rarely had to put a foot down either. Countersteering was my only lil hickup. I noticed that while i was pushing right on the right grip to help lean and turn right i was also pulling back on the opposite hand. It was as if i was unsure of myself and being able to do it one-handed. After a few times of taking the a turn with my opposite hand just resting on the bar i was confident again that i could countersteer properly. QuickStop braking was only a challenge in that i didnt lock either of the wheels up and they at one point were asking if i was rolling off the throttle before the cone in order to brake less severely. I assured them that i was not and that it was just a skill i was good at. Anyhow, after 10 hours of class and 10 hours of bike, i passed. WOOHOO, licensed and safely instructed rider ahoy!

Had to make a concerted effort to not tear the rode up on the drive home. Got on my bike and it was time to play. Having never ridden this bike and perhaps just a tinge worried it would be too big i was extremely cautious and slow the first 20-30min. I would engage the clutch just enough to get going and walk with the bike as it pulled me forward and chugged for more gas. I am sure it looked a bit silly to see me 'walk riding' my bike down the block then awkwardly 3-pointing to go back the other direction but i am glad i did it that way. By the time i was ready to cruise around the block(s) i had a pretty good feeling of where the friction zone is and how long it is. Important for me as i live in a very hilly area. that friction zone is how i am going to hold the bike as i get going on some of those hills i wager.

I found a lot of sweet streets in my neighborhood that are wide, with minimal traffic. I rode them in a serpentine pattern for a bit, just getting used to how the bolt felt when i leaned it and how it responded to rolling on the throttle. (spoiler, it has more pep than the eliminator!) I rode up and down a few of the medium grade hills and was glad to find that on the downhill i can leave it in second to hold the proper speed without applying any throttle. At the crest of one of the hills there is a stop sign into a left hand turn. I stalled out twice in my attempt to grab the bike and get it upright. With no one behind me i sat for a moment and then it came to me. For a sharp turn at slow speeds counterlean. So i leaned right and eased into the friction zone. The bike caught, took me over the crest of the hill and into the flat of the next street. I felt like a dummy for forgetting that so soon, though it did come back when i started to think about why i was struggling.

For my last lil jaunt of the day i texted a friend who rides a H-D 883. We were going to meet at a local s-bucks have a coffee and let him see my new ride. The only issue, this would require leaving residential streets and hitting the main drag. I wouldn't say i was scared so much as just a lil nervous about putting everything into practice at such a faster and more crowded area. To my surprise it wasen't nearly as bad as my mind had worked it up to be. I was actually able to work out the SIPDE process while i was on the road. It was much more active mentally than i thought it would be but i was pretty certain that i had control and a plan the whole time. Got to the s-bucks and was feeling really good. Parked right in front and sat outside so everyone could see how badass i was. HA!

I rode for about an hour mostly on residential streets and ventured into the big road only twice. That being said, it was great! There were a lot of times i made great turns, looking all the way through and applying throttle as i hitting the apex and even at 20-25mph it was just as i remember. A few times on long roads i opened it up and just felt like how i always wanted it to feel.

I arrived safely back at my house and the only complaints for the day were lack of sunlight and sweating through a favorite t-shirt.

I made a list of things i need to get having spent the weekend riding;

overpants(purchased on revzilla an hour ago)
reflective vest(purchased with overpants,i debated this but in the end, if i get hit by a car i want to be able to say that i did everything i could to avoid that happening so i need to be bright!)

a package or two of thin quick drying athletic type shirts to wear under my jacket.
a bright colored backpack to hold sunscreen, clean shirt, cribbage board and other needs.
a scrub brush to get the grime off of my hands that soap and water seems to be failing to do.
a tinted visor, preferably with UV protection.

Was a GREAT day!

Post;
Miles YTD: 23.3
Miles lifetime: 23.3
Attachments
Firstride.jpg
Firstride.jpg (145.71 KiB) Viewed 21415 times

ATGATT

JWF

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Jamers! »

Pre:
Miles YTD: 23.3
Miles Lifetime: 23.3

Another great day around town. Got up early and got right to riding. Took the main drag to the next town, giving big revs to lil kids on their way to the parade. Parked along the route and reved and enjoyed a wonderful parade for memorial day. Did some short jaunts across town after that. Couple of errands to do. After that, i took an scenic ride home. In part because that is what you should do on a bike and also to avoid a pretty hairy left turn. ha! Got a touch lost in the hills of La Canada and was pleased to find big gorgeous old homes nestled between some entry level type twisties. Rode those for a bit working on turning my head and pushing on my bars to lean my new bike. Glad to say that it felt good and didnt have to recorrect very often, thought that may also be because i was doing at most 30mph. Still a hoot.

Getting the hang of hill starts(which is good considering i live in foothills!) I have been able all day to keep my right foot on the brake and get going with ease using the friction zone to hold the bike as i left off the pedal. Not even shaky and requiring my left foot to stay down for balance/catching. Overall i had a great day. On a gear note i wore a quikDry type running shirt and it came out unfased. Much better than the cotton T i wore yesterday. So i have found a problem to my sweat stains post riding.

Last night i ordered a orange vest, some overpants and a tinted visor. I think, i hope for now that the spending it done. I only went over my total budget a touch but i shall be picking up some OT the next few weeks that is for sure.

Can't wait for tomorrow and some more two wheeled goodness.

Miles Lifetime: 65.5

Met with a friend for a quick hello and tea between errands. Thought we should show off something hotter than our mugs!
Attachments
bikez!.jpg
bikez!.jpg (144.35 KiB) Viewed 21391 times

ATGATT

JWF