Need Some Reassurance

isnowbrd
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

Need Some Reassurance

#1 Unread post by isnowbrd »

I'm thinking of taking a 230 mile road trip to go camping. And then another 230 miles back home a week later. But I've never gone that kind of distance on my motorcycle before.

Please tell me it'll be ok, and that I can make it. Because if I chicken out, I'll have to drive a stupid tin can cage. :evil:

The last 80 miles are along the gorgeous North Shore of Lake Superior, and would make the trip so worth while. But the first 150 are pretty boring.

Any tips would also be appreciated.

[Edit]
Thanks,
Isaac

Click here to see a picture I took of the North Shore last year.
Last edited by isnowbrd on Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ZZR600
VTR250 - Nothing quite like your first love

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#2 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Hi Snow (for lack of knowing your real first name...),

Here in Calgary our riding seasons are short. For me, I get out on my bike from about May to early October, if I'm lucky. And even so, I don't get to ride much on the weekdays so I am a bit of a part-time rider.

However, last summer (my second summer for riding), we took a trip through the Rocky Mountains. It was an 8 hour trip altogether with very little break time. We were doing about 100 km/h so that makes it about an 800 km trip (your trip sounds like it will be more like 400 km).

If I can do it, you can do it! Just make sure you take breaks. I would recommend stopping once per hour, if possible. I didn't really get sore, just tired from riding through the wind at 100 km/h for 8 hours straight!

Andrea :)
Andrea :sun:

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#3 Unread post by poppygene »

Sure, Isaac! You can do this, and not only that, you'll have a big grin on your face, too! Just keep your wits about you especially during the boring part, which I assume is interstate/super-slab travel. Leave yourself plenty of room between other vehicles and avoid their blind spots. Unannounced lane changes are the norm on these highways so don't allow another vehicle to pace you - that's just asking for it. Ditto on the breaks - you'll enjoy the trip much more if you stop occasionally. :thumbsup:
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by Scott58 »

I'm going to be doing about 1600 miles in may on my 250. Probably 500 miles a day. Just relax and enjoy the ride. When it's over your probably going to wish it wasn't
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: Need Some Reassurance

#5 Unread post by High_Side »

isnowbrd wrote:I'm thinking of taking a 230 mile road trip to go camping. And then another 230 miles back home a week later. But I've never gone that kind of distance on my motorcycle before.
600 mile days on your 6-E should not be a problem. I put many of them on mine when I had it. Water-proof yourself and your gear and you be be just fine.
High_Side

isnowbrd
Legendary
Legendary

#6 Unread post by isnowbrd »

All Right! I'm gonna do it! :motorcycle:

Thanks for the encouragement :D

Isaac
ZZR600

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by JCS »

No reason you shouldn't be able to do it. 230 miles is probably one tank of gas or a little over. Shoot , we've rode 250 miles each way just to see some other riding buddies for lunch. Surely you can run a tank of gas through in a day.
Motorcycle camping is great fun. My wife and I go several times a year. Are you carrying your camping gear on the bike?

The rain siut idea is a good thing.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

isnowbrd
Legendary
Legendary

#8 Unread post by isnowbrd »

Are you kidding. With all the stuff we pack because of my family, we'll be taking a car too. But at least I won't be in it! :D

What would you say about my wife riding the '89 VTR 250 up there too? Is that too much for a small sport bike? What if its really windy on the return trip home? I guess she really wants to ride the bike. At least she thinks she does.

Isaac
ZZR600

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#9 Unread post by High_Side »

isnowbrd wrote:Are you kidding. With all the stuff we pack because of my family, we'll be taking a car too. But at least I won't be in it! :D

What would you say about my wife riding the '89 VTR 250 up there too? Is that too much for a small sport bike? What if its really windy on the return trip home? I guess she really wants to ride the bike. At least she thinks she does.

Isaac
My wife has ridden her VTR250 about 500kms in one day and I've taken it about 400kms in one day so it is possible. The seat on that thing is a killer for longer trips however and it really gets blown around in the wind. With a tiny bit of a sense of adventure anything is possible and I wouldn't hesitate. Whats the worst that can happen????

Ladymx

#10 Unread post by Ladymx »

I tend to get a little cold feet on some of my longer rides, but just get on the bike and get going. I am always happy that I did.