Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Fewer People Took Part In Motorcycle Cruise For Cancer Cure

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Fewer People Took Part In Motorcycle Cruise For Cancer Cure
Published: Apr 13, 2005

PLANT CITY - It was, according to Mayor Mike Sparkman, ``a chamber of commerce day'' - blue skies, mild temperatures and a cool spring breeze.
In short: It was a perfect day for a 92-mile ride through phosphate country, where bald eagles, turkeys and other wildlife foraged along the back roads, off the beaten path.

But this wasn't just a nature tour.

About 100 machines carrying 135 riders took part April 9 in the second annual Motorcycle Cruise for Cancer Cure.

``This year was somewhat off from last year,'' said Sparkman, noting that an increase in the entry fee and competition from the air show at MacDill Air Force Base may have kept down the number of participants.

The three-hour ride through the mine lands of Central Florida cost $30 per person, with the proceeds benefiting the American Cancer Society.

Last year's inaugural event drew about 30 more motorcycles. However, corporate sponsorships this year brought in nearly twice the money.

Plant City Police Chief Bill McDaniel and Eddie Richter, operation's manager for Sparky's, were the driving force behind the event and securing the sponsorships, Sparkman said.

``Last year's total was $5,000,'' he said. This year it appears it's going to be close to $10,000.

The cruise began at Union Station Welcome Center, the downtown train depot, at 10 a.m. Riders returned around 1 p.m. for a barbecue lunch.

Sparkman, a member of the planning committee, was there to greet them.

``I'm not a rider,'' he said. ``I turned out to be a worker and a cleaner-upper.''
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.