The Americas

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#1 Unread post by poppygene »

Somehow, Chels, this doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun to me. :shock: Way too stressful, but I guess that's the price some pay for adventure.

Personally, if I wanted to risk being held up by highwaymen and other assorted thieves, I think I'd just take a ride through Washington, DC! :wink:
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

rdeviney
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by rdeviney »

I've driven in Mexico a few times: the Yucatan (rental car) and the Baja (my truck). I don't have experience with the tourist areas, as I've just been there to visit friends. You must have Mexican insurance, as they won't honor anything issued in other countries. It helps to have lots of cash on you: if you get in an accident, settle up if it's your fault. Take pictures. If it's not your fault, don't be surprised when the police haul everyone to the local station to sort things out. The only ones driving the speed limit are tourists and decrepit farm trucks; just the same, don't speed. I've had police flash green lights at me to speed up because I was the only one going the speed limit; but they didn't pull me over. I've been advised that if you are pulled over for speeding, have your drivers license and a $20 bill in a front pocket; hand both to the police officer and ask what the fine is for speeding. Could be an urban legend, but it came from guys with way more experience south of the border than me. Don't ever argue with the police; arguing always means a trip to the jail, if for no other reason than to teach the arrogant gringo who's in charge. Watch for cars behind you that are flashing their turn signal; that means you're supposed to pull onto the shoulder (if there is one) so they can pass in your lane. Watch for vehicles trapped behind on-coming trucks and buses that are flashing a turn signal; that means pull onto the shoulder because they want to use your (opposing) lane to pass. If the slow-moving truck in front of you is signaling left turn in the middle of nowhere, that means it is clear to pass. Don't trust them - I've been given the pass signal with a blind curve or hill ahead. Ease out carefully and make your own assessment, as most truck drivers have overly optimistic ideas about the room needed to pass. If you have a passenger, have them looking out to the sides, for vehicles entering the roadway from a dirt trail or field. Always look for an exit when approaching blind curves and hills; you may meet an oncoming vehicle in your lane. It's terrifying. I don't know why I'm still alive: I shouldn't be. Don't be surprised to find speed bumps on freeways that pass through populated areas; some are posted and some aren't. Expect to find lots of kids and peddlers camped out on the speed bumps. If you are crossing into Mexico from the US, it looks like a toll booth with no attendents in Tijuana. If you get the green light, just keep on driving. If you get the red light, pull over and immediately jump out with a road map and run inside to ask directions (it's a fairly successful way to avoid the random searches generated by the red light). Don't be surprised to find a military road block out in the middle of nowhere: they are looking for drugs and guns; sometimes they want you to step out of the car (watch what happens with the vehicles ahead of you), but most times they just walk around your vehicle and ask if you speak Spanish. Strive to look like a slightly confused, but unworried and cooperative tourist. Four-wheel drive with high ground clearance is advisable on side streets in heavily populated areas, and a virtual necessity in rural areas. Don't wash your vehicle; it's a waste of water and you'll be covered in dust 5 miles down the road. Wear casual clothes for several days in a row; look like you're on the $5 a day economy tour. If you're trying to find a local address, get over your guy-ness and ask for directions. Street signs are almost non-existent.