where have you ridden to that's "Unchained"?

Where do you prefer to eat when on a ride?

Underneath those golden arches
3%
At mom and pop places
43%
I eat whatever I run over and kill
13%
Where ever is handy when I need to stop
40%

Total votes: 30

lamble
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

where have you ridden to that's "Unchained"?

#1 Unread post by lamble »

Last year I emigrated to the US from the UK, so only one letter needed changing. To get to see what our former colony had to offer, I bought a bike in Atlanta and rode it to Seattle. My route comprised of 22 miles of Interstate and the rest of the 10018 miles was one or two lane. I also decided that I'd see if I could avoid the large chained groups during the ride, you know the McTuckeyfriedburgerhutsubs type eateries and motel chains. So I rode unchained.

I blogged the trip and had emails coming in asking the same question, why? Another question was can you tell us where these unchaineds are?

So, I'm putting a site together called (commercial link removed - admin)
It will let you recommend unchaineds that you've found, plus when we have enough, it will let you put a route in and see which unchaineds are along the way.
So, I need your help, prepopulating the site, so that on day one unchainedworld can help you.

Please send your recommendations to:

(commercial link removed - admin)

I'm also looking at a section for grossest eats and places to avoid.

And, it doesn't need to be a whole experience that you recommend, for example, the main course could be awful but the custard was fantastic, or a towel in the bathroom still had enough fluff on it to dry yourself (a rare treat in my experience), so details.

Feel free to tie in the recommendation with local features, such as a smokehouse in Woodbridge Suffolk with an anglo saxon burial treasure hoard at Sutton Hoo nearby. That sort of thing adds colour and detail.

Thanks folks.
I look forward to reading your recommendations.
Lamble-(ex pat Brit)
(commercial link removed - Admin)

lamble
Rookie
Rookie

young and tender

#2 Unread post by lamble »

I hope that whoever voted to eat whatever they run over and kill, never runs down an old person. One, it would be a bloody mess and two, old people need marinating for such a long time and still taste chewy.
Lamble-(ex pat Brit)

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by Apollofrost »

yeah, plus old people have all of those additives. Geritol, Joint-Ritis, stalagmite you just don't know what you're getting.

Now cali yuppies might taste like wheat-grass but you know it's all organic.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

lamble
Rookie
Rookie

preservatives

#4 Unread post by lamble »

apollofrost wrote:yeah, plus old people have all of those additives. Geritol, Joint-Ritis, stalagmite you just don't know what you're getting.

Now cali yuppies might taste like wheat-grass but you know it's all organic.
I think Mary Poppins summed it up well:

Super Cali's taste fantastic,
Old folk taste attrocious.

I may be paraphrasing somewhat.

Southern Mexico must be full of unchained places. I hope you'll be sending something to [email protected]

Also, do you film your rides?
I'm linking a m/cycle pod cast to the site. It's British and I'm looking at adding material from this side of the Atlantic, so let me know if you want to be a videographer (no money in it yet though).
Lamble-(ex pat Brit)

BlueBomber
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by BlueBomber »

I bookmarked the site so I can add places later when I have time.

I live in Canandaigua, New York. I'm in the Finger Lakes region, it's great country to ride through and visit.

And there's several good places, for several good reasons.

I'm all for tossing some suggestions in.

\/\/
Suzuki Boulevard M50 - Bright Blue

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by Apollofrost »

Well truth be told I'm not riding, yet. But I do know of some rather nice places in the cities of Merida and Progresso. If you want I can list my favorite non-chain haunts, but you have to venture into the heart of the city to get to them.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

The549
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by The549 »

I sent one email so far of the best place in the world to get a chinese chicken salad....or for me any salad. Hopefully this guy will be able to reach out to a lot of people and come up with a big list, but it'll take a lot more than the internet.

lamble
Rookie
Rookie

reaching out

#8 Unread post by lamble »

I hope to have a m/cycle podcast from the site too. So far the podcast is being downloaded by 2.1 million people per month.

I didn't get your chinese chicken salad recommendation through, though.

Post it here and I'll lift it.

Cheers.
Lamble-(ex pat Brit)

lamble
Rookie
Rookie

Cities count as places too.

#9 Unread post by lamble »

apollofrost wrote:Well truth be told I'm not riding, yet. But I do know of some rather nice places in the cities of Merida and Progresso. If you want I can list my favorite non-chain haunts, but you have to venture into the heart of the city to get to them.
People travel to cities too and I guess they still need food and accommodation (you can't always find an organic oven ready californian when you need one), so recommend away and thanks.
Lamble-(ex pat Brit)

lamble
Rookie
Rookie

Road kill doubles

#10 Unread post by lamble »

I see the road kill option has doubled :yikes: .

Just remind me never to fall asleep at the roadside.
Lamble-(ex pat Brit)