First Rally.........what are they?

Jeremy102579
Rookie
Rookie

First Rally.........what are they?

#1 Unread post by Jeremy102579 »

i am going to be participating in my first rally tomorrow morning.....i have no idea what a rally is, can someone please please explain what these things consist of and anything speacial i should know?
2002 Suzuki DR-Z400s
470 miles - STOCK

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#2 Unread post by Gadjet »

That depends on what kind of Rally it is.

A rally like what is held every year by the BMWMOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners Association) is essentially just a gathering of riders from all over the place. There are various seminars, possibly group rides, and vendors of all sorts of motorcycling gear. HOG and GWRRA also hold rallies like this all the time, and there is also the Honda Hoot. Some of these rallies are primarily brand specific (BMW, HOG) and some are model specific (GWRRA) but for the most part nobody really cares what you ride at these events.

Endurance Rallies are a whole 'nuther ball of wax, as they are run like a time limited scavenger hunt and require the participants to carefully plan their route in order to collect the maximum number of bonuses as well as cover a minimum number of miles in order to finish well. There are quite a few short (24hr) endurance rallies that take place all over North America, but the pinnacle of this type of rally is the Iron Butt Rally (IBR) which takes place every 2 years and is open to a limited number of entrants (100 riders, drawn at random from all applications recieved). This rally takes place over the course of 11 days and will challenge the participants to the extreme - it is not for the novice rally rider (as a note, the IBR is running this year and commences on August 20th in St. Louis).
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc